PDA

View Full Version : MMA Training met Urijah Faber (VIDEO)

Tony
14-04-2008, 08:19
Urijah Faber: MMA training behind the scenes with MMAmania.com (http://mmamania.com/2008/04/13/urijah-faber-mma-training-behind-the-scenes-with-the-california-kid-video/)

Urijah Faber, the World Extreme Cagefighting sensation known as the California Kid, won't have to leave home the next time he defends his title.

Local mixed martial arts fans are buzzing about the WEC's recent announcement that Faber will be taking on veteran Jens "Lil Evil" Pulver at Arco Arena June 1. The featherweight championship bout will also be televised live on the Versus network.

Signaling a growth spurt in a sport that has moved into the mainstream, the WEC is holding one of its fights outside Las Vegas for the first time.

The personable Faber, 28, grew up in Sacramento and Lincoln, graduated from the University of California, Davis, and owns the Ultimate Fitness Gym in midtown. He said he campaigned to have the fight in front of his hometown fans.

"It feels great. I'm so excited. This area has been a big part of my life and I can't wait to put on a show for the home crowd," said Faber, the reigning WEC champion at 145 pounds who has one loss in 21 fights.

Once heavily criticized as a blood sport populated by thugs, cagefighting, better known as mixed martial arts, has undergone a transformation in recent years. There are new rules and a cleaner image bolstered by several star attractions with appealing backgrounds, from school teachers and businessmen to Marines who served in Iraq.

Faber was raised by parents he describes as religious hippies and ate a mostly vegetarian diet. As a child, he was an actor and model, before becoming a top wrestler who competed at UC Davis, where he earned a degree in human development.

Inside the cage, he has proved to be an overwhelming force, combining deft skills with eye-popping power and athleticism.

"There are still some misconceptions about mixed martial arts," Faber said. "It's a professional sport and it's extremely technical. I'm one of the guys that people who don't know much about the sport still enjoy watching. If they're on the fence, they need to come and give it a shot and I'm the perfect guy to introduce them to the sport."

Network officials at Versus agree.

"It's a growing sometimes misunderstood sport and a personality like Urijah makes people realizes it's populated with real talented athletes," said Bill Bergofin, a senior vice president at Versus. "It's not just a bloodthirsty sport. Guys like Urijah at the front of it who are articulate and good-looking really are going to help drive more interest and awareness as to how great mixed martial arts is."

Verus will carry the event live at 6 p.m. Tickets went on sale March 29. They range in price from $36.75 to $186.75.

Here's what the WEC's Web site says about the match: "A win for Pulver secures his spot in MMA history. A win for Faber takes him one step closer to becoming the greatest featherweight fighter ever."

Known for his gruelling training regimen, Faber says he won't make any adjustments in his routine in the lead-up to the meeting with Pulver, whose record is 22-8-1.

"If I up it any more, I'd probably be over-training. I'm pretty consistent with my training," he said.

A Jan. 15 story about Faber in The Bee indicated his mother, Suzanne Tastad, is proud of her son but refuses to attend any of his fights, fearing for his safety. Faber says she will not be at the Arco bout but that his 15-year-old sister, Michaella, will be there.

"She's getting to the age where it is becoming interesting to her," Faber said.

Verus will carry the event live at 6 p.m. Tickets went on sale March 29. They range in price from $36.75 to $186.75.

For more information, visit WEC | World Extreme Cagefighting (http://www.wec.tv) and ARCO Arena - Home (http://www.arcoarena.com).