PDA

View Full Version : Denis Kang bespreekt vanalles over DREAM GP en UFC onderhandelingen

Tony
16-04-2008, 09:28
http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/fighters/denis-kang.jpg

Although new Japanese promotion DREAM has been slow to announce the full line-up for the first round of its middleweight grand prix later this month, one bout that has been confirmed has the potential for real fireworks. American Top Team's Denis Kang (29-9-1) will take on Pride Bushido veteran Gegard Mousasi (20-2-1).

Kang discussed the match-up while a guest on Tuesday's edition of TAGG Radio (TAGG Radio Network - Home of TAGG Radio & The Lights Out Show! (http://www.taggradio.com)), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (MMA blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps - MMAjunkie.com
(http://www.mmajunkie.com)).

"Good fight," Kang said of the bout. "I remember (Mousasi) from the PRIDE Bushido days. While I was going through the [Pride Bushido] Grand Prix, he was one of the guys I thought that I might get matched up with then, so I've kind of already prepared myself mentally to face him in the ring."

Mousasi has only gone to a decision once in his 23 professional fights, and 13 of his victories have come by knockout. Questions remain about the quality of competition the Armenian fighter has faced, but Kang believes the sheer number of victories amassed by Mousasi proves that he is a worthy adversary.

"I think Mousasi is a little better than people give him credit for right now," Kang said. "He's been on a hot winning streak beating a lot of guys."

The fight is Kang's second for the K-1 organization (which recently changed the name of its MMA division from "HEROS" to "DREAM"), and he has one fight remaining on his contract, which runs through September.

Perennially ranked by most in the top 10 to 15 middleweights in the world, Kang has fought all over the globe. And while the 30-year-old would love to fight in North America, it does not appear he will find a home in the UFC.

"Yes, we were (negotiating with the UFC)," Kang said. "I would have loved to fight in the UFC. I would love to fight in North America and not have to travel 12 hours for a change. At the end of the day, it came down to where I want to be represented at the moment and who was offering the best contract."

The best contract, it seems, was one that would allow the half-Korean fighter to compete in South Korea's SpiritMC organization on an annual basis. Kang has fought 10 times in the organization since 2004, winning all 10 fights, and is still the SpiritMC heavyweight champion.

However, the UFC requires exclusive contracts, which prohibit fighters from competing in other organizations. Such a limitation would have alienated many of Kang's fans.

"SpiritMC was only asking that I fight for them once a year," Kang said. "That's one of the things that I really, really wanted to do -- to keep my SpiritMC title and keep my fan base in Korea, which is really important to me."

Instead, Kang will continue his career in Japan, and he hopes to begin a successful run in DREAM's first ever middleweight grand prix with a victory over a very game opponent.

"[Mousasi] is going to be confident, and he's going to come out hard," Kang said. "I'm taking him very seriously."

Wheelie
16-04-2008, 16:41
Geweldige vechter en dat word een top partij tegen Gegard Mousasi