PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves UFC 85 fight for main event confirmed

Tony
25-04-2008, 21:40
http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/hughes-alves.jpg

UFC 85 has a surprise main event … and it’s a good one.

Former welterweight champion Matt Hughes (42-6) and Thiago Alves (14-3) will step up to the plate, inking a fight contract to go toe-to-toe during the main event at UFC 85 at the O2 Arena in London, England, on June 7, according to Matt-Hughes.com.

The exciting showdown between two of the top performers in the 170-pound division was apparently booked to help fill the void of the injured Chuck Liddell, who had to withdraw from his fight with Rashad Evans because of a torn hamstring.

Here’s a snip:

“June 7th, in England, I fight Thiago Alves. The fight is confirmed, it will be the main event for the card. Dana just called me with the news. Chuck got hurt and couldn’t fight, so he needed a replacement and called me and I said yes. More news as I get it. No matter what happens in this fight, I’ve got Serra next.”

Wow … once again Hughes comes up big to save a major pay-per-view (PPV) event — he agreed to fight Georges St. Pierre when Matt Serra pulled out of their proposed clash at UFC 79: “Nemesis” in December 2007.

Hughes lost that bout via second round submission, derailing his immediate chances at one last title run prior to his looming retirement (Hughes has admitted that he has about three fights left in the tank.)

It was widely known that he would finally settle the score with Serra after “The Terror” lost his welterweight bout to St. Pierre this past weekend.

That showdown is apparently still guaranteed regardless of what happens in the United Kingdom.

Alves is coming off the biggest win of his career — a technical knockout of top division contender Karo Parisyan at UFC Fight Night 13. “The Pitbull” is on a five fight win streak since a loss to Jon Fitch back in 2006.

Naturally, with a win over Parisyan, as well as Hughes, Alves would clearly distinguish himself as the next title challenger after St. Pierre and Fitch face off later on this year.

The rumored bout between Michael Bisping and Chris Leben is still possible; however, “The Count” has apparently not signed the bout agreement. And now that he won’t be the main event perhaps he’s lost his desire to do so altogether.

Jochem
25-04-2008, 21:44
Mooi, maar nog veel mooier dat ie daarna VS Serra mag. Ben benieuwd wat ie tegen Alves gaat doen eerst. Als ie wint VS Serra, kapt ie ermee, dat is wel zeker.

nicolas the red
25-04-2008, 22:18
mooie vervanging! alves is een beest.

wrestler_nl
26-04-2008, 01:50
NICE MATCHUP...Matt Hughes wint via Decision

Jani
26-04-2008, 13:39
leuke match up !!!

al denk ik wel hughes een maatje te groot is op de grond.

(en de partij tegen serra hebben we idd daarna nog tegoed)

anonymous001
26-04-2008, 14:30
al denk ik wel hughes een maatje te groot is op de grond.

Nou, dat zullen we nog wel eens zien...;)