PDA

View Full Version : Gegard Mousasi wants Manhoef in Dream GP (interview)

wrestler_nl
02-05-2008, 15:41
Here the well-rounded 22-year-old from Armenia reviews the fight and gives his outlook on the next round of the grand prix:

Sherdog.com: How do you feel after this big win?
Gegard Mousasi: I feel great! It has given me a lot of confidence to beat a top-ranked opponent like Denis Kang.

Sherdog: Did you have the impression that Kang was reluctant to stand up with you?
Mousasi: No, but he took me out of my game plan, because he came in with punches while I was worried that he would be looking for the takedown right away. So then I thought I can be more aggressive with my punches and kicks and that was when he was able to take me down.

Sherdog.com: Once on the ground, you remained very calm, even with him in half guard. Did you train this position a lot, knowing that you might be in such a situation in the fight?
Mousasi: This was nothing special because I felt that I was physically stronger than him and he wasn't doing any damage, so I stayed calm and waited for an opportunity to reverse him or stand back up.

Sherdog.com: Were you in danger of being submitted at any point when he had the kimura?
Mousasi: No, not at all. Otherwise I would have been busier when he had my arm.

Sherdog.com: Many fans who saw the fight claim that Kang jumped right into the triangle choke and made it far too easy for you. What do you reply to those critics?
Mousasi: They should watch the fight again. When he stood up out of my guard, I kicked him a couple times and that made him want to come down again. I then grabbed one of his feet and pulled on it, which took a little bit of his balance away. Then he wanted to strike me with those hammer fists, but if you watch closely, you will see that I dodged those punches before securing the triangle choke. I also kept his hand in control, so he wouldn't be able to pull it out.

Sherdog.com: Sakuraba, Tamura, Yoon, Galesic, Kin and Jacaré all progressed to the next round. Who has impressed you the most in their fight?
Mousasi: I haven't been able to see all of the other fights yet, but Galesic is a nice guy and showed a great armbar even though that is not his specialty. Jacaré was also impressive, but I have to see more of his fights before I can give you a final verdict on him. Props to Ian Murphy for taking the fight on a two-week notice and making his MMA debut against a guy like Jacaré though.

Sherdog.com: What is your opinion about Melvin Manhoef most likely getting the opportunity to move up to the quarterfinals with a win on May 11?
Mousasi: If he does, I would love to fight him next. His fighting style suits me well, and it would be a very exciting fight.

Sherdog.com: Anything else you'd like to get off your chest?
Mousasi: I hear that a lot of people on the Internet are now talking bad about Denis Kang. If they are brave enough to badmouth a professional fighter, why don't these keyboard warriors come out behind their computer and get in the ring themselves to prove how tough they are? I also want to thank Jesus, my friends and family for their help and continuous support.

(sherdog.com)

Tony
02-05-2008, 16:00
Top..

Geweldige vent in de ring en ook naast de ring... Heel volwassen.

erg goeie opmerking over het feit dat iedereen Denis Kang nu een "looser" vind... Idd, kom achter je toetsenbord vandaan, stap in de ring en laat zien hoe goed je zelf bent..

En klasse dat ie manhoef wil.. Er zijn zat andere (en misschien ook betere?) vechters die dat niet zouden willen...

MMARuud
02-05-2008, 16:29
Ik denk dat het één van de beste vechters in de wereld is/gaat worden. Hij is pas 22 en hij doet het nu al zo goed (wat een fight record), als dat zo door gaat zal hij snel in de mma rankings klimmen. Ben me pas sinds kort meer in mma gaan verdiepen en was hem al tegen gekomen op sherdog.com en daar lijkt het of hij in Armenië geboren is en nog steeds woont. Weet pas sinds de wedstrijd van dinsdag dat hij een Armeense-Nederlander is, een beetje de gago drago van het mma ;) . Vond het erg cool dat hij voor Nederland uitkomt in dream, daar kunnen we trots op zijn, 2 nederlandse toppers in dream's mw gp!

Tony
02-05-2008, 16:37
Voor mij was zijn overwinning op Hector Lombard (Pride Bushido) hét teken dat hij nog eens een hele grote zou kunnen worden....

De man van 14K
02-05-2008, 17:27
die gozer is echt retegoed, dat ik hem tegen Kang zag in de ring leek het wel alsof hij die oude crocop uitstraling had. Volledige kalmte en je ding doen en winnen.

the boxer
02-05-2008, 17:52
Yep Gegard is al een topper en gaat het zeker nog ver brengen!
Tegen Kang had ik eerlijk gezegd een beetje bang voor hem, maar hoe kalm hij bleef toen Kang in de half-guard zat: klasse!! :cool2:

mdk
02-05-2008, 18:04
hier nog even de partij tegen Kang

YouTube - Denis Kang vs Gegard Mousasi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxhvuvCuN5E)

Dutch Dynamite
02-05-2008, 18:25
Hij schoolde Cyborg ook geheel, dit is een uiterst technisch uitgekookte vechter, geweldig toch?

02-05-2008, 18:50
ja, toen ik hem bij bushido bezig zag dacht ik al dit word een grote. heel compleet, en ijskoud ala crocop, fedor.