PDA

View Full Version : Kimbo Slice interview (+lovende woorden over bas rutten :o)

amilster
23-05-2008, 13:32
Onderstaande vond ik op

Kimbo Slice responds to Dana White and Chuck Liddell (http://mmayou.com/news-and-exclusive-interviews-with-mmayou/37-fighters/174-kimbo-slice-responds-to-dana-white-and-chuck-liddell)

ik begin de man wel te mogen, helemaal geen schreeuwer maar spreekt met respect over zijn collega's en sport.
ook leuk hoe hij bijna een fan van Bas Rutten lijkt te zijn
hier een leuke quote als je geen zin hebt om het hele stuk te lezen:

You know what I’m saying? He can still…. I mean, man! I mean sh**. Sh**! If he comes out of retirement it’s gonna be a problem for a lot of people.

Het interview:

Kimbo Slice responds to Dana White and Chuck Liddell
MMAyou.com had the pleasure of speaking with Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson as he prepares for his main-event bout with James “The Colossus” Thompson at “CBS EliteXC Saturday Night Fights” on May 31st (9PM-11PM ET/PT). Check out what Kimbo has to say regarding Dana White and Chuck Liddell, his upcoming fight with James Thompson, being on the cover of ESPN Magazine, and much more.

MMAyou.com: First, how are you doing?

Ferguson: I’m okay, I’m okay.

MMAyou.com: How’s training coming along?

Ferguson: Trainings going good, I can’t complain.

MMAyou.com: You’re set to face James Thompson next, give us your thoughts on the fight.

Ferguson: I can’t really predict anything, I’m not a psychic. I do know I train hard. I’m training with the best in the world; that’s Bas Rutten. All their fighters; Randy Khatami and these guys are preparing me to kick ass and take names and that’s what’s up with me.

MMAyou.com: You’ve gotten some criticism in the press from Dana White and Chuck Liddell. Do you have a message for Dana and Chuck?

Ferguson: Yeah, I love those guys. They’re great guys. I’m a big fan of the UFC. Chuck is one of my great fighters. I love watching him fight, I love his performances. I love what Dana White’s done for the sport man and if it wasn’t for those guys I wouldn’t be where I am today. I thank God for them and God bless them.

MMAyou.com: You’re on the cover of this month’s ESPN Magazine, what does that feel like?

Ferguson: I don’t let all that get to me. I mean sure, it’s really big time for me and it’s big for the sport. I thank God that I was in the right place at the right time. I guess I’m coming into the sport with a different style, a different flavor. And I’m hungry for it. I’m hungry for whatever. I don’t turn down no opponent. I’m willing to fight whoever wants to fight me. Being on the cover of ESPN man, it’s great for the sport. It shows that a guy who dedicates himself with great sacrifices and great commitment, and respects the game can do it. You can actually do it and become successful at it.

MMAyou.com: That’s awesome. Speaking of your opponents, are you fighting Mike Tyson next? There’s been rumors about it.

Ferguson: I don’t know about that dude. We’re gonna keep that one on the hush-hush.

MMAyou.com: (laughing) Alright. Is there anyone you’d like to face right now?

Ferguson: Nah, I’m just… I don’t want to call anyone out cause to me that’s kind of rude, you know? To just assume you’re gonna kick someone’s ass. You just gotta be prepared for a battle, you know what I‘m sayin? That’s what it’s all about. One on one. Two guys getting in there and it’s a real life chess game.

MMAyou.com: Where would you rank yourself in the worldwide heavyweight rankings?

Ferguson: I mean I’m… I dunno dude. There’s a lot of great heavyweights out there man. I’m a big fan of all those guys and it’s just so awesome to be in the midst of these guys, amongst them. We’re all from the same walk of life.

Everyone starts from somewhere and the ultimate goal is to eventually become king of that cage. To be on top with holding your hand up. And that’s what it’s about, you know? If I was ranking myself, you know, I don’t know. That’s not for me to decide.

MMAyou.com: What’s the difference between fighting in the street and fighting in the cage?

Ferguson: It’s a big difference. Street fighting you don’t even really need any training for it. Anybody can get in there and throw hands and knock someone out. But like I said what I brought that was different to the street fighting I guess was my style. My style of fighting with no training at all. I had a real unique style and that was with no training. Now I’m receiving training and I wanted to challenge myself. There’s really no comparison.

You just can’t compare street fighting to fighting MMA. MMA takes sacrifices, commitments, MMA is a way of life. When you represent the sport even when you’re not fighting, the way you walk around in the street, people will know any minute “That’s that guy who fights MMA”, and that‘s what it‘s about. When you’re a street fighter it doesn’t really even matter. You’re a street fighter. You still smoke your weed, you drink your drink, you have your cocktails often, and you can party and it don’t even matter. But when you’re fighting an MMA fighter you gotta have sacrifices and commitments and dedication to the cause.

MMAyou.com: You’re training right now with Bas, who’s a great legend. After seeing him and training with him do you think he should come out of retirement and challenge for some titles?

Ferguson: Oh man Bas can still kick ass to this day. I know he can and if he does I pretty much fully support one hundred percent, not that he would need my support, but Bas is the man! And he still hits hard! You know what I’m saying? He can still…. I mean, man! I mean sh**. Sh**! If he comes out of retirement it’s gonna be a problem for a lot of people.

MMAyou.com: In closing, is there anything you would like to say to your fans?

Ferguson: I thank them all for the love. Keep watching. I always keep my fights entertaining. I thank all my sponsorships. I thank all my trainers; Bas Rutten, Randy Khatami, Shawn Thompkins, for showing me how to throw hands and use my style. These guys have been in my corner since day one of my pro career and I thank God for them. I thank God for my fans. Even the ones with the negative criticism about me, I thank God for them too.

You've heard of it before and now we have it available for you; the Bas Rutten Mixed Martial Arts Workout. The greatest workout in the MMA industry. It will improve your conditioning, reflexes, stamina, and will get you into shape!!! Pick it up now. It now comes with free shipping for US residents!!!

joost
23-05-2008, 13:39
leuk interview :)

lopez86
23-05-2008, 13:54
Wat een positieve attitude heeft die gast, daarmee krijgt ie zeker een hoop respect, zowel in als buiten de mma wereld.
+1 voor Kimbo

el bastardo
23-05-2008, 14:15
Klinkt heel anders dan de dingen die ik tot nu toe van de man zag/las

Pepe the Ice-Murderer
23-05-2008, 16:57
Ja, zo leren we eindelijk eens de vechter kennen en niet de cashmachine.
Respect.

Mastajc
24-05-2008, 00:26
Goede professionele instelling. Ziet er naar uit dat hij zn sport erg serieus neemt. Ben benieuwd naar zijn progressie.