PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm Bloodthirsty (over illegale knieën enzo)

Tony
10-06-2008, 15:34
Nate Marquardt deserved a point deduction for the knee he landed on Thales Leites in their matchup at UFC 85.

Problem is, it should never have been an illegal blow to begin with.

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/7087/nate1_medium.gif

Hardcore fans have long clamored the state athletic commissions (written as "SAC" from here on out) to legalize knees to the head of a grounded opponent. I'm surprised at the lack of reaction from the MMA community about renewing efforts to push the SAC to change their rulesets.

I'm not sure if I need to convince readers of this blog why knees to the head would be a positive change for MMA, but here's a short explanation. Most pressing, outlawing ground knees allows grapplers an easy chance to escape punishment for a failed shot. Instead of being put into an extremely vulnerable position, a fighter can instead turtle up, protect his head, and escape much more powerful strikes.

Also, take a look at the above GIF from the Marquardt/Leites fight. Viewing the portion from behind Nate, you can see Thales lift up his knee and put it back on the mat while Nate throws his strike. Now, I don't think that Leities was putting his knee on the ground to draw an illegal strike, and I don't think Nate cared where Thates' knee was at that point (I think Marquardt got caught up in the moment). Regardless, Nate Marquardt lost a very valuable point on the scorecard (and, hence, the fight) because of a split second movement. And while Thales' may not have done it intentionally, it can and has been attempted.

As far as I know, the biggest reason the SAC have refused to allow knees to the head is a concern for fighter safety. Well, if a knee to the head of a grounded opponent is dangerous, shouldn't we outlaw this as well:
http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/7097/2v8pavr_jpg_medium.gif

The fact of the matter is that there are techniques that generate more power, and hence, more danger than a grounded knee strike.

If that isn't enough, here's a couple quotes from Heath Herring...

“I wish we could have used the knees to the head on the ground like we did in Japan, but the world changes and I have to adapt,” Herring said. “Fortunately I had 10 years of experience to draw from."

...and Phil Baroni

"I'm glad I got to fight in Pride when they had 10 minute rounds, stomps on the ground, and knees to the head on the ground."

Perhaps they're a silent majority, but I haven't heard many fighters in favor of outlawing knees to the head of a grounded opponent.

So what can be done? The best course of action is to contact the state athletic commissions. You should definitely contact the commission in your own state, and also the Nevada State Athletic Commission (e-mail link) and the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board (regular link). It's important to be mature and well-articulated in your efforts.

There's also a good reason to be hasty with our voices. According to this Sherdog thread summarizing a segment with John McCarthy on the Fight Network, there is...

..an upcoming convention in Montreal from July 1-7 that will bring together all members of the Athletic Commissions across North America...

...This convention will address issues such as potential rule changes to the Unified Rules, so we can hope that knees to the head on the ground might finally be permitted.

So get on your horse fight fans!

Jochem
10-06-2008, 16:00
en liever vandaag als morgen! Wat mij betreft schuilt iedereen lekker achter het idee dat het is om grapplers (shoot) af te straffen, maar het is ook mooi spektakel!!

Tony
10-06-2008, 16:05
Idd.. het hele mma spelletje wordt zo ontzettend veelzijdiger..

In een full rules MMA partij doe je er alles aan om de tegenstander niet in de side mount of north south position te krijgen.... Want je weet dat je dan gruwelijk afgestraft gaat worden middels knieën..

In de UFC is North South een relatief veilige positie geworden.. ja ok, je bent vatbaar voor diverse Chokes... of stoten op je nier/lever... Maar de echte gevaarlijke knieen omzeil je zo..

chief108
10-06-2008, 16:07
Van mij mogen die knieen zeker ingevoerd worden!

en de stomps....

Christophe
10-06-2008, 17:09
Laten we het beestje dan maar gewoon een naam geven: PRIDE-regels wil ik zien (met of zonder ellebogen maakt me dan niet uit).

Ik zie graag met ellebogen, maar wetende dat veel partijen dan voortijdig zouden worden gestopt door bloederige verwondingen boven of onder de ogen, kies ik toch maar voor zonder ellebogen.

Jochem
10-06-2008, 17:16
ach, tegenwoordig zijn die cutmen zo goed! Als je dan iemand zijn kop zo openbeukt dat zelfs zij het niet meer kunnen fixen, mag je van mij winnen hoor :D .

chief108
10-06-2008, 18:15
Laten we het beestje dan maar gewoon een naam geven: PRIDE-regels wil ik zien (met of zonder ellebogen maakt me dan niet uit).
:whistling:

Hitpoint
10-06-2008, 19:28

Hier ben ik het zeker mee eens. Door deze regels vond ik PRIDE een stuk interessanter om te kijken dan the UFC. Niet dat the UFC saai is natuurlijk ;)