PDA

View Full Version : Overeem Says Stamina Not an Issue, Wants ‘Cro Cop'

Tony
12-06-2008, 11:40
http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/news/2008_06/13192.jpg

Overeem Says Stamina Not an Issue, Wants ‘Cro Cop'

Talent alone isn't enough to be successful in mixed martial arts.

While the pioneers of the sport were often able to get by on one outstanding quality, MMA, especially in the last five years, has been merciless on those fighters who have ignored the other aspects of the game.

One fighter who has had to learn the hard way is "Demolition Man" Alistair Overeem (Pictures).

The kickboxer from Amsterdam is a gifted athlete. At 6-foot-5, he has a frame that allows him to compete in various weight classes. He has incredibly long legs and a huge reach. And last but not least, he has an older brother in Valentijn Overeem (Pictures) who introduced him to Golden Glory, the premier fight team in Holland, when he was a teenager.

Overeem gained priceless experience early in his career by fighting in Japan for the Rings organization while also storming through domestic competition and amassing a perfect record of 9-0 in bouts at home in the Netherlands. That was when Pride came ringing and invited him to be a part of the 205-pound grand prix in 2003.

In the opening round he fought Chuck Liddell (Pictures), who had just come off a surprise defeat at the hands of Randy Couture (Pictures) in a bout for the UFC interim light heavyweight title. Overeem held his own against a motivated "Iceman" for a couple of minutes before eventually succumbing to a series of punches and knee strikes.

It was this bout and the ones that followed against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (Pictures) and Maurcio Rua that gained Overeem a reputation as a very inconsistent fighter. One critic at the time hit the nail on the head by comparing him to a Ferrari -- fantastic appearance, excellent technique and capable of a fast pace but also equipped with a small gas tank.

"They were probably right," the 28-year-old told Sherdog.com when reflecting on his early Pride fights. "I am working hard on my stamina, though. I have changed parts of my training, and right now I'm feeling stronger than ever."

Dutch fight fans recently got a glimpse of the incredible shape Overeem is in. They saw him at the weigh-ins for the April K-1 World Grand Prix in Amsterdam, where he was scheduled to square off against countryman Gilbert Yvel (Pictures) in the lone MMA bout on the card. The all-Dutch superfight had to be cancelled, however, after Yvel suffered a torn muscle fiber in his left calf in training.

"I was very disappointed when the fight was cancelled," Overeem said. "I had been in preparation for four months and I deliberately canceled other fights to be 100-percent sure to be fit for the K-1 show in Amsterdam. Alas, I have to say that injuries do happen, but the fact that the organization wasn't able to arrange another opponent for me was a disappointment for me and for all the fans who bought a ticket to see me in action."

Getting his share of Overeem's surplus energy Sunday at Dream 4 will be the 6-foot-6, 295-pound giant Tae Hyun Lee (Pictures).

The 33-year-old Ssireum star was originally brought into the MMA game by former Pride promoter Dream Stage Entertainment, which was looking for a counterpart to rival FEG's Korean ace Hong Man Choi (Pictures). His debut fight was a failure, though, as he lost to Brazilian Ricardo Morais (Pictures) via TKO late in the first round. Because of a change of promotions and trouble with the Ssireum governing body, he has only fought once more -- a quick knockout over Yoshihisa Yamamoto (Pictures) last October.

"I'm looking forward to fighting against anybody," Overeem said. "Lee is a big dude; he's 6-foot-6 and outweighs me by 60 pounds. But after having trained for six straight months now, I'm ready for everybody. It doesn't matter even if they match me up with a guy who is a hundred pounds heavier. I'm ready to kill everybody."

A fighter who has very high hopes in Alistair is his Golden Glory teammate and reigning Shooto light heavyweight champion Siyar Bahadurzada (Pictures).

"Alistair is going strong," the "Afghan Killa" told Sherdog.com about Overeem's preparation. "He has better cardio and has been doing his homework really well. He is much bigger and stronger and has become an all-round fighter. The way he trains now, I see him as a big threat in the heavyweight division. Going heavyweight was a good decision for him. He will be busy kicking ass there for a while. Within the next 18 months, he is going to be a top-five heavyweight in the world."

Overeem fought twice for the Strikeforce promotion in California, defeating Vitor Belfort (Pictures) and Paul Buentello (Pictures) to become the event's heavyweight champion, but he sees his fighting future in Japan.

"I love Japan," he said. "The fans are very enthusiastic, and just walking the streets of Tokyo is a great experience."

An opponent he is gunning for in the future is none other than his longtime Pride companion Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

"Mirko has been offered to fight me twice, and he has dodged me both times," Overeem said. "That's why I will get on the house microphone and issue him a challenge in the middle of the ring after I have finished the big Korean."

Despite being in the best form of his life, Alistair has set modest goals for the remainder of the year. The "Demolition Man" wants to improve his technique, gain strength and weight and also win all of his fights, beginning with Tae Hyun Lee.

"After having not used it for the last couple of fights," he said, "I think I'll bring my hammer again this Sunday."

wasken
12-06-2008, 11:49
zijn dat nou allemaal littekens op het lichaam van alistair overeem?

Tony
12-06-2008, 11:51
denk groei striemen

rafi
12-06-2008, 11:53
dat viel mij ook al op.

dirk5
12-06-2008, 11:55
dat zijn de bekende stretchmarks (zwangerschaps striemen)

als je erg veel sport en snel groeit dan kan je huid deze striemen gaan vertonen (is eigenlijk harder uitrekken van huid dan ie aan kan)

de meest typische plek waar dit gebeurd is bij aanhechting borst, zoals ook te zien bij Alistair.

btw Alistair - CC = kwijl!!!!!!

12-06-2008, 12:01
mooi stukje

Ton
12-06-2008, 12:09
iid een mooi stuk!
Kan niet wachten om Alistair weer in actie te zien!

chief108
12-06-2008, 12:40
denk groei striemen
zie je ook vaak bij BB-ers die flink aan de booltjes zitten....

amilster
12-06-2008, 13:38
I'm ready for everybody. It doesn't matter even if they match me up with a guy who is a hundred pounds heavier. I'm ready to kill everybody."

Doet me weer denken aan die slopen we ook ff LOL op een of andere manier vindt ik dit soort uitlatingen niet bij hem passen (wat in zijn voordeel spreekt wat mij betreft) maar ik moet er wel altijd om lachen.

Hoop hem echter wel weer snel in actie te zien tegen een topper

The Bulldog
12-06-2008, 13:54
zie je ook vaak bij BB-ers die flink aan de booltjes zitten....

hoeft niks met as te maken te hebben...als je zwaarder wordt en je heb een stugge huid krijg je dit al...

Het is wel zo dat door hormonen gebruik je huid stugger wordt...

chief108
12-06-2008, 14:19
klopt...
hoeft niet, je kan ook in de puberteit enorm gegroeid zijn waardoor het ontstaan is, maar als je natuurlijk zwaar wordt krijg je toch niet zomaar groeistriemen?
daar is toch echt een flinke spurt voor nodig? (zoals bijvoorbeeld bij zwangere vrouwen en juicende krachtsporters)

ken wel krachtsporters die trots zijn op hun striea
zien het als een trofee
net als Dennuz z'n maffe oortjes

De man van 14K
12-06-2008, 14:28
DMan! ik hoop dat hij er weer komt!

anonymous001
12-06-2008, 14:42
klopt...
hoeft niet, je kan ook in de puberteit enorm gegroeid zijn waardoor het ontstaan is, maar als je natuurlijk zwaar wordt krijg je toch niet zomaar groeistriemen?
daar is toch echt een flinke spurt voor nodig? (zoals bijvoorbeeld bij zwangere vrouwen en juicende krachtsporters)

zien het als een trofee

Ik dacht dat iedereen dat wel een klein beetje had? Op de onderrug, enzo? Ik vind het er ook wel stoer uitzien, eigenlijk.

Maar bij Alistair is het wel mooi afgetekend, idd. Hij is natuurlijk ook behoorlijk gegroeid in de loop der jaren. Wel op een goede manier, best wel geleidelijk, geloof ik.

Ik hoop echt dat de demolition man flink gaat huishouden de komende tijd. Ik denk dat hij nog heel wat kan laten zien....

chief108
12-06-2008, 14:44
we gaan ook weer veels te veel offtopic idd...

hoop dat hij flink losgaat en dat hij een keer tegen Crocop mag

wil ik wel zien :thup:

Ton
12-06-2008, 16:33
Hoop trouwens ook dat ie weer met hamer, en natuurlijk ned11tal shirt, op komt ;) Brengt geluk deze dagen...

The Bulldog
12-06-2008, 16:46
Oranje shirt zou inderdaad super vet zijn ja...

ik hoop dat de partij tegen CC er zeker komt...zou een hele vette match up zijn...

Dennuz
12-06-2008, 16:52
klopt...

zien het als een trofee

:pimp::king:

Tony
12-06-2008, 17:15
Reactie van Crocop

Hi everyone, I've just stopped by to comment some statements made by Alistar Overem and his team.

It seems to me that some people should mind their own business. I've never been offered to fight Alistair Overeem. Why would I decline this offer? I came to DREAM to fight the best and I'm looking forward to see DREAM signing more top level heavyweights. Now when Alistair is officially in DREAM, I'll be expecting an official offer from DREAM to fight him and I'm going to accept it with pleasure.

I'm not on vacation here, I train hard and I've never picked my opponents. I fought the best fighters in the world already, I don't see why I should have seconds thoughts about fighting Alistair Overeem? On my way back up I need to fight top level competition and I believe that DREAM is perfectly able to put up a strong heavyweight match-up soon. So it's up to DREAM, let's bring it up.

BRING IT ON!!!

MMA-ID: MMA Profiles, MMA Videos, MMA News | CROCOP (http://www.mma-id.com/CROCOP/?mod=blog&uid=35&blid=642)

chief108
12-06-2008, 17:25
mooie reactie terug van Crocop....

make it happen DREAM!!!

Ton
12-06-2008, 17:31
Vet! Crocop - Overeem...!

Dream make it happen!

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/3/3161.jpg

Tony
12-06-2008, 17:36
Kan best besproken en geweigerd zijn.. maar dit kan ook om heel andere redenen zijn geweest.

Wie zegt dat DREAM Crocop heeft willen laten vechten tijdens it's showtime.. Als DREAM dit niet goedkeurd dan gaat het feestje niet door en dan heeft Ken Imai en CC daar geen schuld aan.

Ton
12-06-2008, 17:39
Neemt niet weg dat het Crocop nooit is aangeboden om tegen Alistair te vechten.. Want dit zegt Crocop nu juist.

micha
12-06-2008, 18:21
Crocop trainde toen gewoon hier in Amsterdam toch?

ICON
12-06-2008, 19:27
Gaat ook niet om schuld in deze. Maar enkele forumleden kennende kun je van tevoren al zo goed als zeker weten dat er na zo'n quote van Crocop weer commentaar komt aangaande EFN / It's Showtime.

Vandaar even een korte reactie en kunnen we weer on-topic.

Vind 't echt super dat Alistair eindelijk weer de ring in gaat! Ik heb zo'n idee dat ie dermate hoge motivatie heeft dat ie die Lee heel snel afmaakt.

ooooh stomme it's showtime!!! ik wist wel dat ze crocop niet echt hadden gevraagd!!!
boeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GG rules!!!!!

ooh shit dacht ff dat ik iemand anders was

Jochem
12-06-2008, 19:34
klopt...

zien het als een trofee

Ik heb ze ook, maar volgens mij zie je ze bij hem veel duidelijker door zijn donkere huid. BTW, heeft indd niks met AS te maken, maar als je armen/schouders groeien krijg je dat. En nee, niet als je 75 kilotjes weegt chief ;).

ontopic VETTE MU!!! Cant wait. Denk dat alistair dat wint. Enne, ik heb veel gelijk de laatste tijd :)

The Bulldog
12-06-2008, 19:44
:thup::thup:
ooooh stomme it's showtime!!! ik wist wel dat ze crocop niet echt hadden gevraagd!!!
boeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GG rules!!!!!

ooh shit dacht ff dat ik iemand anders was:thup::thup:

reps...

Tsuki
12-06-2008, 19:51
boeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GG rules!!!!!

REPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chief108
13-06-2008, 08:57
boeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

GG rules!!!!!

en nog meer reps :lol: