PDA

View Full Version : Lange Wanderlei dedication

123trisweat
21-06-2008, 08:50
Copy+c /copy-v van sher. Maar wel een leuk verhaal
--------------------------
Wanda
Check out his blog here (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=383020010&blogID=400594906&Mytoken=BD1FBADE-6A91-4660-84A0A380E28D4E1F64262805)!!
How fucking awesome is that!!! War Wanderlei!!!

I figured I would explain to all the TUF'ers and new guys to MMA why Wanderlei is getting so much support and why he is such a strong fan favorite.

The Beginning
Wand began his mixed martial arts career first fighting in Brazil's "Campeonato Brasileiro de Vale" but he first gain notoriety in his IVC performance, in which he fought 3 times in one night.

A much younger Wanderlei defeated his first two opponents in brutal fashion and lost his third fight in equally impressive fashion. A severely cut Wanderlei repeatedly head butted his opponent (a legal move in IVC). This further worsened his injury and deepened his cut, but he relentlessly attacked his opponent, whom looked terrified, as if a monster was attacking him.

http://www.whoopass.tv/images/MediaImgLg/HNS_IVC2_189_1.jpg

The ref stepped in and ended the fight, but this established for the first time the unrelenting heart of Wanderlei Silva.

Wanderlei continued to fight in the IVC and was then invited to his first UFC fight, against non other than fellow Brazilian phenom Vitor Belfort.

The First Real Loss

Quote:
It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward ...
Wanderlei first UFC fight was a disappointing loss which lasted 44 seconds and ended in one of the most spectacular knockouts in the history of the UFC.

Of the 5 other fighters Vitor Belfort had defeated before Wanderlei, two of these fighters were knocked into retirement! Thats right, Jon Hess and Scot Ferrozzo were beat into retirement by "The Phenom", but Wanderlei was back in the ring just 3 months later, KO'ing his opponent in just 22 seconds!

Back in the Big Leagues
After dominating the IVC, Wanderlei was back in the octagon, defeating his second UFC opponent with devestating knees. He was later invited to upstart Japenese promotion where he dominated his first three opponents.

The UFC again invited Wanderlei to fight, but this time it was for the Light Heavyweight title against posterboy Tito Ortiz.

The Ortiz Loss
After 5 hard fought rounds, Wanderlei dropped a unanimous decision to the much bigger Tito Ortiz. Most fans categorized this as a "Lay-n-Pray" victory for Ortiz, but Wanderlei had the Huntington Beach Bad Boy severely rocked and almost finished the fight.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o230/JonDoeJr/WanderleirocksTito.gif

This fight shaped the beginning of Pride and the UFC.

The Pride Era
After Wanderlei's loss to Ortiz, he went on an undefeated 18 fight streak that lasted four years. Wanderlei had already established his heart with his early IVC days, but he began to show his undeniable skill and dominance during this era in which he was widely considered the most best (and most dangerous) light heavyweight on the planet.

During this 4 year period of dominance, Wanderlei defeated some of the greatest names in MMA history.

Guy Mezger
Guy Mezger was Wanderlei's first real test against a world class striker. Guy Mezger is one of the most under-rated MMA fighters in history. He holds several kick boxing titles and holds wins over Tito Ortiz, Schemmy Shilt, and Yuki Kondo. He also gave Chuck Lidell one of the hardest fights of his career.

In this back and forth war, Wanderlei showed his heart and aggression. After rocking Mezger with several right hands and vicious illegal headbutt, Wanderlei walked away the winner with a classic fight and vicious KO.

Dan Henderson
After this fight, Wanderlei's next big test was Dan Henderson. Dan Henderson had just finished beating both Renato "Baballu" Sobral and Antonio Minotauro Nogeria (the current UFC heavyweight champion). Dan Henderson was an undefeated olympic caliber wrester with devestating power and an incredible chin.

This fight went the distance in a 15 minute war. Wanderlei pushed the pace and did the most damage, earning him a hard fought victory. Wanderlei again showed his heart and tenacity, utilizing his now famous stops and knees.

The Sakuraba Era
Wanderlei's next major achievement was his destruction of Japanese legend Kazushi "The Gracie Hunter" Sakuraba. Sakuraba had just defeated 4 Gracies (Royce, Royler, Renzo, and Ryan), submitting 2 of them. Sakuraba was considered the Pride LHW Champion (they did not have a belt at the time, but Sakuraba were the infamous "Saku belt" as a representation of his dominance over the division (and organization in general).

Wanderlei fought Sakuraba three times in two years, finishing Saku every time. The Japanese audience kept wanting Saku to win the title, but the "Axe Murder" won in brutal
fashion each time.

http://i19.tinypic.com/62dvc5i.gif

One fight was ended by a devestating slam that broke Sakuraba's clavical, while another finished with a devestating KO finish.

Wanderlei's next fight was against fellow Japanese legend Tamura that ended in similiar KO fashion:
http://i10.tinypic.com/5ysq1wz.gif

Enter: CroCop
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic was a K-1 import new to the MMA scene. After being set up to lose against Japanese wrester Kazuyuki Fujita, CroCop made a name for himself. Everyone was expected the Japenese wrester to be a horrible stylistic match up, but CroCop proved to have a powerful sprawl which would be a deadly combination with his elite striking.

Before Wanderlei's third fight with Sakuraba, he would have to get past this K-1 striker.

Wanderlei had never been forced to take a fight to the ground, and this fight appeared to be a kicking match with MMA gloves, a situation which did not favor the smaller Wanderlei.

CroCops management had demanded special rules in order to favor Mirko. Anytime the fight hit the floor, it was to be stood up very quickly and there would be no judges decision (ala no Lay-n-Pray victory).

Wanderlei came out strong. In a 15 minute war, Wanderlei used everything he had. Striking, stops, takedowns, and tremendous heart. Crocop landed devestating strikes, including a liver shot that literally left toes impressions on Wanderlei's ribs. This exact strike would later be used to put down Heath Herring and Ibragim Magomedov. But Wanderlei battled through it.

http://i4.tinypic.com/73lpamg.gif

Because of the special rules, the bout was ruled a draw, but had their been judges, Wanderlei would have most certainly walked away with the decision. He rocked Crocop with combinations, scored takedowns, and pushed the fight from start to finish.

The New Japanese Hope: Hidehiko Yoshida
This undefeated olympic gold medalist had proven to be a threat on the ground and striking. Submitting his first three opponents, Yoshida appeared to Wanderlei's next Japanese rival.

Their first fight ended in a split decision victory for Wanderlei. It was a grueling, back and forth fight, but Wanderlei again showed his heart and technical ability.

123trisweat
21-06-2008, 08:50
en deel 2 (beetje verwarrend als je bent ingelogd misschien :) scroll dan naar de eerste post)
-------------------------
Quinton Jackson
American super star Quinton Jackson was on a gigantic win streak, defeating Igor, Randleman, Bustamante, and most recently, UFC superstar Chuck Lidell. He was now in line for a title shot against non-other than the Axe-Murder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/Discman2/GIFs/silva.gif

They fought twice, both wars, and both KO wins for Silva. The first fight ended with Rampage being out of his feet from the repeating dirty boxing and knees of Silva. After the first fight, Rampage continue to verbally challenge Wanderlei and appeared to be confident in his chances for their second fight.

http://i22.tinypic.com/w2dpo9.gif

In there second fight, a stand up war ensued, but Wanderlei was mounted toward the end of the first round and looked in trouble. But at the start of the second round, Bas Rutten, made the observation the Wanderlei was going to be pissed and looking for blood.

Wanderlei ended the fight with a devestating KO in which Rampage was litterally spended in the ropes.

New K-1 Striker: Mark Hunt
Wanderlei's next challenge was 250 lb Mark Hunt. Hunt had just won the most prestigious kick boxing tournament in the world, the K-1 World Grand Prix and looked to make a splash into MMA.

Hunt was known for his ability to give and take a tremendous amount of damage and presented a considerable threat to Silva. Unlike some LHW fighters (ie Quinton Jackson), Wanderlei leaped at the opportunity to prove himself against bigger opponents and took the challenge.

Wanderlei was batter with huge power shots but refused to stay down. He was dropped several times but also manage to hurt the bigger Hunt. He scored several takedowns, but instead of trying to hold down the bigger hunt (or go for a submission), Wanderlei would stand up and throw stomps!

http://www.wanderleisilva.com.br/site/images/zoom/BBIXAV/2.jpg

This might have been a strategic error (he lost by split decision), but the continued to win over new fans.

Ricardo Arona
Wanderlei's next challenge was Ricardo Arona. A gigantic 205'er, Arona had never been defeated in ADCC (a single point had never been scored against him), and appeared to be a tremendous force in MMA.

His smother style appeared to be a strategic counter to Wanderlei's aggresssion. For the first time in years, Wanderlei lost his fight to a fellow 205'er, dropping a boring Unanimous decision. Arona finished the fight by literally screaming in Silva ear with celebration.

A fight between Arona and Silva outside of the ring had occurred, dishes were thrown, and a rivalry was born.

In their second fight, Wanderlie came more prepared and battled Arona to a split decision victory. Arona, thinking he had the fight secured, pulled guard in the closing minutes and was by Wanderlei's ground and pound.

The Open Weight Grand Prix
With all challengers in the LHW division defeated, Wanderlei was asked to participate in the Heavyweight grandprix. Originally, Fedor was supposed to be in the Grand Prix, but after suffering an injury, Pride scrambled to find a superstar replacement, and that replacement was Wanderlei.

Much like his recent attitude in the UFC, he was willing to do what the ogranization needed and the fans wanted to see. He bulked up and entered the tournament against Kazushi Fujita. The man who had calm closest to defeating HW champion Fedor.

http://i20.tinypic.com/29wsg2q.gif

Fujita appeared to be a horrible stylistic match up with an iron chin and fantastic wrestling, but Wanderlei came out agressive, pumbeling the bigger man with punches and soccer kicks. He even displayed his black belt level jiu-jitsu with a close armbar (which tore tendons in Fujita's arm). To this day, people do not recognize Wanderlei jiu jitsu ability, but he almost submitted both Sakuraba and Yoshida, world class grapplers.

Next up for Wanderlie was CroCop, a rematch from years ago against a more experienced and aggressive Mirko. The fight ended in a devestating head kick that violently KO'd Silva. Fans were immediately talking about retirement, but Silva's heart would not let him quit the fighting business.

Wanderlei back in America
Wanderlei's next fight was again a rematch and this time against Danger Dan Henderson. Henderson and Wanderlei exchanged strikes but Dan caught Wanderlei with a spinning back fist and then a crushing left hand.

Wanderlei was defeated for the 2 consecitive time with by a brutal KO.

This is why he has fans....
Almost any other fighter on the planet would have retired. Wanderlei, already a MMA superstar, could have retired and opened a gym. Already a legend, he was cemented as one of the greatest and could have tooken the easy road and bowed out.

But Wanderlei has too much heart for that. Unlike 99.9% of the people in this world, Wanderlei has an unshakable belief in his ability to succeed. That "Never give up" motto that is hollow to most people, is very real to Wanderlei.

Never, during his entire career and had he been the weaker man, Never had he backed down from a challenge, and not once during any of his fights, had he not been the aggressor. If that is not inspirational, I'm not sure what is...

Return to the UFC
After his second loss, Pride was purchased the Zuffa and his signed with the UFC. Not wanting to fight easy competition, he challenged Chuck Lidell, UFC's most dangerous striker at 205 pounds.

In this back and forth fight, Wanderlei lost another decision. He was not knocked out, but he took a tremendous amount of damage. Although it was a competitive fight, nay-sayer again were calling for his retirment.

Myself, a huge fan, was concerned about his health. But his heart and determination again would not let him quit. All the signs pointed to a dwindling career as a stepping stone for UFC's younger talent, but he pushed through these negative thoughts and pushed through.

Return of the Axe Murder
http://i31.tinypic.com/29z5sg4.jpg

And he's back! After losing three times, to some of the best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet. Wanderlei is back to his winning form. Although 99.99% of people would call it quits, Wanderlei trained harder than ever and looked amazing.

His amazing will paper and heart in every situation is why Wanderlie gets so much support! Throughout his entire career, the has never let the fans down or quit!

Imagine if he would have quit after Belfort or Ortiz? Shit imagine how much people mis-out on because they don't have Wanderlei's determination and heart!

He has shown more heart inside the ring and outside the ring than any fighter (or person for that matter) I can think of. His will to succeed and determination are something legends are made from....

In addition to all of his accomplishments, Wanderlei has remained classy and always a gentleman to his fans. After his fights, he always recognizes his fans for their great support and is always welcoming to his many fans.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/amibepower/1162580082852.gif
In conclusion:
War Wanderlei!!!!!!! (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7898261287440386697) <---------- Click for an amazing HL.

From Wand's Blog:
“My greatest joy was without a doubt to be able to bring happiness to those of you who never gave up on believing in me. My true friends, now we have been redeemed. I spent the day reading and re-reading the messages from you on the internet. You have no idea how happy I am. I am certain any fighter would love to have fans like you. I went through three hard months, training for this fight, and it wasn’t just once or twice that the messages from you uplifted me and stimulated me to keep on training intensely. This fight was decisive. I was under a lot of pressure. I had to win by all means. But at these tough times I could see you guys were with me. To have the affection of you guys on my side is an honor, it is priceless. I was very moved and felt like crying after the win. Thank God I cry from happiness. At that moment I thought of all of you excited by this so long-awaited moment!! Now you can also talk to me on myspace MySpace.com - Wanderlei Silva - 31 - Male - LAS VEGAS, Nevada - www.myspace.com/wanderleisilva (http://myspace.com/wanderleisilva). Here I’ll be able to get to know you better. I haven’t the words to thank you enough for the strength you have given me. Let’s beat our chests and celebrate with much joy, because this victory is ours!! Thank you so much.”

Jeru
21-06-2008, 10:40
Wat een verhaal.... wel mooi die highlight weer aan het eind, maar mis dan toch het hele UFC verhaal (heden). Foto's van hem in het leger zijn voor mij nieuw en grappig om te zien.

Evilman
21-06-2008, 12:35
Wanderlei is een icoon.
Veel meer dan liddell.

Sowieso als ik die vechters zie,
een ander slag mensen, die zover
kunnen komen en door zoveel heen
gaan. Heel speciaal.

Virus
21-06-2008, 13:40
Hele vette post!

IMO de bruutste, mooiste en beste MMA-vechter aller tijden...

The Bulldog
21-06-2008, 13:42
wat een killer is het toch...

ben benieuwd wat ie nog gaat laten zien in de UFC

tom l
22-06-2008, 05:26
"but he almost submitted both Sakuraba ..."

euh...nee...

Silva probeerde een zielige armbar tegen saku die nooit of nooit gelukt zou zijn. Silva merkte dit al snel en stopte direct met proberen. Saku is nooit gesubmit en Silva is al zeker echt niet in de buurt gekomen. Ik vind het al erg (als saku fan zijnde) dat silva altijd gewonnen heeft, maar zeggen dat hij saku bijna gesubmit heeft, dat is echt bullshit en dat gaat te ver. Zoveel credit verdient silva echt niet. Ik heb veel respect voor Silva, maar als mensen zeggen dat hij Saku bijna gesubmit heeft...bullshit...

Pepe the Ice-Murderer
22-06-2008, 11:49
"but he almost submitted both Sakuraba ..."

euh...nee...

Silva probeerde een zielige armbar tegen saku die nooit of nooit gelukt zou zijn. Silva merkte dit al snel en stopte direct met proberen. Saku is nooit gesubmit en Silva is al zeker echt niet in de buurt gekomen. Ik vind het al erg (als saku fan zijnde) dat silva altijd gewonnen heeft, maar zeggen dat hij saku bijna gesubmit heeft, dat is echt bullshit en dat gaat te ver. Zoveel credit verdient silva echt niet. Ik heb veel respect voor Silva, maar als mensen zeggen dat hij Saku bijna gesubmit heeft...bullshit...

relax man, de post komt van Sherdog...
Volgende keer zoeken we eentje over Saku. ;)

marcelt
22-06-2008, 13:06
top post!

Hoop dat Wandy nog een hoop moois kan laten zien in de UFC!

Pepe the Ice-Murderer
22-06-2008, 18:11
  Osama Bin Laden, a Canadian, and President Bush were walking down the street when they saw a golden lamp. They rubbed it and a genie came out and said, "I will grant each one a wish that’s 3 together." The Canadian said, "I am a father and my son will be a farmer so I want the soil in Canada to be forever fertile." The genie said the magic words and the wish came true. Osama looked amazed so he wished for a wall around Afghanistan the genie said the magic words and again the wish came true. ..World Of Warcraft gold is WoW gold (http://www.gogoer.com), President Bush said "Genie, tell me more about this wall," the genie said,”It’s 50 feet thick and 500 feet tall so nothing can get in and nothing can get out." President Bush said,”Wow! That’s a big bridge...Fill it with water!!!

What the fuck??? Ga ergens anders je bullshit verkopen man! This is WANDERLEI!!!

Wheelie
23-06-2008, 09:58
Hele vette post!

IMO de bruutste, mooiste en beste MMA-vechter aller tijden...

Helemaal mee eens :thup: