PDA

View Full Version : UFC 86 Fallout: Possible Protest, Rematch

Tony
07-07-2008, 20:29
http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/news/2008_07/13575.jpg

Although Quinton Jackson (Pictures) lost his UFC light heavyweight title Saturday to Forrest Griffin (Pictures) in a grueling 25-minute bout, his camp is ready to keep fighting.

Jackson's coach, Juanito Ibarra, plans to protest the unanimous decision with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

"We got robbed," Ibarra told Sherdog.com Sunday afternoon. "We won the majority of the fight."

Judges Adalaide Byrd and Nelson Hamilton scored the bout 48-46 for Griffin, while Roy Silbert turned in a 49-46 tally for Griffin.

It's extremely unlikely that a protest would change the outcome of the fight. Ibarra isn't hopeful in that regard, but less than 24 hours after his fighter had lost in the UFC for the first time, the coach seemed determined to learn exactly how the fight was scored.

He was baffled that Byrd and Silbert gave Griffin a 10-9 advantage in the first round, during which Jackson dropped the challenger. In Ibarra's view, the knockdown warranted a 10-8 round in Jackson's favor. He believes Jackson won the third and fourth rounds on 10-9 scores, though he said Griffin deserved a 10-8 second round and a 10-9 fifth. That comes out to a 47-46 win for Jackson.

"You have to beat the champion," Ibarra asserted more than once.

Randy Couture (Pictures), a coach and training partner of Griffin, gave a slight edge to the new champion.

"I thought that it was a very, very close fight," Couture said. "I thought that it was three rounds to two [for Griffin]. I thought that Quinton did enough to win two of the rounds clearly. I thought they may have been able to give Quinton a 10-8 round in the first round with the knockdown and then the second round you could have given Forrest a 10-8 round.

"And it could have went the other way. If one or two rounds went the other way, it could have been three rounds to two for Quinton. It was that close."

Strategies and execution

Couture's concern before the bout was a reasonable one: that when hit, a brawler at-heart like Griffin would resort to brawling.

"He has always wanted to bang," Couture said. "From the Bonnar fight on, just a brawler. That's what he thinks is exciting. That's the way he likes to fight. But at some point he realized that's not always the wisest choice, especially with a guy who hits as hard as Quinton."

The plan was to stay on the outside, use angles and footwork, work a long jab, a long hook and then finish with a kick. The kicks, as it turned out, did major damage, hobbling Jackson in the second round and changing the course of the fight.

Griffin did venture inside a few times, however, and paid for it. He took an uppercut in the first round that floored him and was cut over the eye in the fourth. Ibarra wanted Jackson to lure Griffin into more exchanges.

"I wanted Rampage to stay in the middle of the cage and make Forrest fight him," Ibarra said. "I think Rampage would have knocked him out, or hurt him and grounded and pounded him."

Griffin fought a smart fight, though. He never stayed inside for long. Instead, he chipped away and kept moving, occasionally stopping to drop a heavy kick into Jackson's lead leg.

"I thought Rampage needed to use his speed more," Ibarra said. "That's what was so disappointing in the fifth round: There was no speed, no combinations. Forrest is so long, you have to beat him to the punch. You have to be the first to set up that jab."

Ibarra also felt Jackson should have thrown more body shots. But make no mistake, even though he believes Rampage could have performed better, Ibarra is certain that he performed well enough to keep the belt.

Couture had little criticism of Griffin's execution, though the fighter didn't hesitate to critique himself.

"I'm happy with the way things turned out," Griffin said at the postfight news conference, "but there's a lot of stuff I planned on doing that I didn't do, a lot of things I worked on that didn't work out."

Wrestling, for one.

"Wrestling is something that we've worked on a lot since the Jardine fight," Couture said. "That was the one piece of the arsenal that [Griffin] was missing, and I think everybody knew that after some of the submissions he had in other fights that his ground skills were good. Everybody knows that he's a brawler and that his striking is formidable. He had no transition skills at all, so there was never a threat. … It's something we worked a lot on, but he didn't have to do that much last night."

Griffin was having success striking from the outside, but Jackson's wrestling skill and punching power also deterred him from wrestling more.

"He's got that one-punch power," Griffin told UFC.com on why he didn't work more from the clinch. "And a couple of times he hit me in the head or hit me in the shoulder, and it could have been a knockout. So I kind of pushed off and rested."

Possible deciding factors

After hurting Griffin in the first, Jackson planned to put him away in the second round.

"That's when I was fixing to go for it," Jackson said at the postfight presser. "He threw me a whammy. He hurt my leg. That's what messed me up."

Couture agreed: "I think the leg kicks hampered Quinton's mobility enough that he wasn't able to close that gap and get that inside range where he's very, very effective and very explosive."

Jackson also said he probably had "a little cage rust" after not fighting since September 2007. However, it had been just as long since Griffin last competed. Couture pointed to Griffin's size -- "We saw that as a big advantage in this fight" -- and his aggression as helping him get the nod.

"I think in the third, fourth and fifth rounds, Forrest carried the aggression in the fight," Couture said. "He was pushing the pace of the fight, controlling the tempo of the fight. Even the times when they were on the ground, Rampage wasn't able to damage Forrest. Forrest was able to scramble and get back up. He had the one nice submission attempt with the triangle. I think that [aggression] was the biggest difference."

Jackson said Griffin didn't hurt him on the ground either. Ibarra echoed that statement and added that Griffin's offense, including his submission attempts, should not have trumped the work Jackson did with his hands.

Ibarra on rematch: I got it

The unanimous decision for Griffin was greeted with cheers and some boos. Exhausted after the biggest win of his career, a significant upset that had made him a UFC champion, the 29-year-old thanked the audience at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

More boos followed -- the inevitable result, no doubt, of any close decision.

"Hey," Griffin responded. "What the hell? What? What? Are you kidding me? Come on."

He acknowledged that the fight was close.

"And I don't want to because he hits too f---ing hard," Griffin said, "but I think we're going to have to do that again."

In the Octagon after his loss, Jackson seemed to admit defeat. "He just whooped my ass," Rampage said, but later, at the postfight presser, his perspective had changed.

"I feel like I won the fight," he said. "When I think about it, and my cornermen and other people who watched it, they thought he won the second and maybe the last round. And I won the rest."

Despite changing his opinion, Jackson remained respectful.

"I didn't want to leave it up to the judges," Jackson said. "But you know what? I didn't think Forrest could hang with me. I said if Forrest gets past the third round, he'll gain my respect and I respect him. And if I ever fight him again, I'm gonna respect the hell out of him with my right hand."

According to Ibarra, there is no "if" concerning a rematch.

"I got it. I got it. I'm not waiting. Next fight," said the coach, who explained that he approached UFC President Dana White and co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta in the Octagon about making a rematch. "I asked for it, immediately, in the cage, and Forrest agreed. The rematch is going to go like I first thought. Forrest is going to try to do more, and next time he's gonna get beat."

Said Couture: "It could be the next big trilogy in the weight class. It was a terrific fight, a back-and-forth battle, and that's the kind of fight people want to see again."

Given some time to ponder another bout with Jackson, Griffin wasn't backing down. Besides, he doesn't exactly envision an easy run as the UFC light heavyweight titleholder.

"I'm not a feared guy, but the thing is, I'm going to fight you for 25 minutes," he said. "Whoever you are, anybody at 205, I'm not going to break. I'm not going to quit. It's the same s--- I always say. I'm not … you look at the champions. Anderson Silva: terrifying. B.J. Penn (Pictures): terrifying. Every other champion but me is pretty terrifying. I'm just a dude trying to put it together. But the one thing I've got is I'm going to fight you to the end, like a dog. And other than the third round [against Jackson], where I decided just to kind of hangout, lay on my back there, I feel like I did that. And next time, I'll bring it better."

Tsuki
07-07-2008, 20:32
rampage had gewoon wat beter zijn best moeten doen ............ zag er zo sloom en beperkt uit ............... ik was er behoorlijk ziek van maar het is zijn eigen schuld ..........................

Italiahxc
07-07-2008, 20:33
F*cker, hou je b*k. Griffin is de verdiende winnaar en daarmee uit !!

Tony
07-07-2008, 20:34

jongen praat normaal man... ik post alleen maar een nieuwsitem dat ik tegen kwam op een mma blog...

Ik hoef toch niet mijn bek te houden omdat jij een andere mening dan de auteur van het bericht hebt..

De dikke nudist
07-07-2008, 20:40
Kneusje...

Deze pot was best close. Maar toch heeft Griffin terecht gewonnen imo.

leks
07-07-2008, 21:27
Geheel mee eens ik zag het als winst voor Rampage of draw. Zegt genoeg dat beide coaches het een close gevecht vonden, zo een partij gaat 9/10 keer naar de kampioen en als niet dan is dat vreemd.

Dat Rampage teleurstellend heeft gevochten wil niet zeggen dat hij heeft verloren, persoonlijk verdenk ik dat de tufhype die de ufc heeft doen boomen in populariteit en waarvan Griffin de verpersoonlijking is hier wel een rol in heeft gespeeld.

Valt me een beetje tegen dat Rampage hier bij ons ook zo weinig krediet lijkt te krijgen, ik durf het bijna niet te zeggen.... tufnoobs? :confused:;)

TOON
07-07-2008, 21:34
zou na die vijf rondes ook mn geld op rampage gezet hebben...
Ik wil niets afdoen aan de prestatie van Griffin, maar vond Rampage niet op z'n best op de een of andere manier...

die rematch mag er van mij snel komen!!

Evilman
07-07-2008, 21:38

mee eens. als je het tegen juanito hebt.
slechte verliezers. forrest heeft duidelijk
gewonnen. mensen die dat niet vinden
zijn bevooroordeeld en snappen het spel niet.

stel zeikerds (trainer enzo)
rampage is gewoon op zn nr gezet!

leks
07-07-2008, 21:47
forrest heeft duidelijk
gewonnen. mensen die dat niet vinden
zijn bevooroordeeld en snappen het spel niet.

Misschien het hele verhaal lezen, Couture zegt dat het close was :whistling:

En ja ik was voor Rampage maar komop rondes scoren is geen rocketscience.

Evilman
07-07-2008, 22:12
close is nog steeds een winnaar.
en als dat niet duidelijk is, dan zou het een draw zijn.
en dan penalties!

dus forrest heeft wel duidelijk gewonnen.

joost
07-07-2008, 22:14

hey belg hou jij even je bek! anders ga maar naar een ander forum je waardeloze post plaatsen

Biiyen
07-07-2008, 22:31
Het was close maar ik had zelf ook Griffin als winnaar in mijn hoofd na het gevecht en ook de dag erna toen ik het gevecht zag in betere kwaliteit vond ik nog steeds dat Forrest verdiend de winst had gekregen. Imo een verdiende overwinning maar een re-match op korte termijn zou niet onterecht zijn.

Ronald
07-07-2008, 22:50
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1738/yellowcardpr0.jpg

HUNTER
07-07-2008, 23:24
Ik zat m wel te knijpen idd.... na de tweede ronde dacht ik dat Forrest Rampage totaal ging ownen, maar Forrest ging op safe spelen had ik het idee. Als hij die lowkicks had doorgezet was het denk ik snel over. Maar doordat Forrest het rustiger aan ging doen kwam Rampage terug. Totaal niet impressive, maar wel punten scorend.

Denk dat je toch als je het overall bekijkt ook Forrest de terechte winnaar kunt noemen

Guillermo
07-07-2008, 23:39
Forrest is de terechte winnaar en dat zeg ik als Rampage fan. Rampage leek wel versufd vanaf het begin van de partij (teveel geneukt? ) hij was te afwachtend. Forrest scoorde gewoon lekker en damn nigga, learn to block some lowkicks! :twak:

TheSkindo
07-07-2008, 23:50
Als je het moet laten afhangen van jury heb je gewoon niet goed genoeg gevochten en moet je niet zeuren als je hebt verloren.....

YoMarK
07-07-2008, 23:51
Rampage had meer takedows en was veel gevaarlijker op z'n voeten. Het Nadeel voor hem was is dat Griffin een kin van beton leek te hebben, en dat hij toch wel last leek te hebben van de lowkicks vanaf en vooral in ronde 2.
Griffin was echter dichtbij een submission, en rampage kon niet veel uithalen vanuit top positie .. geen GnP gezien.
Al met al vond ik het redelijk gelijk op gaan, en daarbij kan ik me toch wel vinden in Ibarra's statement "You have to beat the champion". Dat was zeker niet het geval.

HUNTER
08-07-2008, 00:09
Als je het moet laten afhangen van jury heb je gewoon niet goed genoeg gevochten en moet je niet zeuren als je hebt verloren.....

Amen to that!

Che
08-07-2008, 00:26
Ik had gehoopt dan Rampage zou winnen. Toch presteerde hij niet zoals ik had verwacht. Griffin deed goed zijn best en wist de punten te pakken in 3 van de 5 rondes. Heeft ie goed gedaan.

Waar ik nu meer naar uit kijk is de rematch, die gaat hopelijk nog harder knallen (ik lijkt wel een echo, hahaha)

zokizo
08-07-2008, 10:31
Rampage had meer takedows en was veel gevaarlijker op z'n voeten. Het Nadeel voor hem was is dat Griffin een kin van beton leek te hebben, en dat hij toch wel last leek te hebben van de lowkicks vanaf en vooral in ronde 2.
Griffin was echter dichtbij een submission, en rampage kon niet veel uithalen vanuit top positie .. geen GnP gezien.
Al met al vond ik het redelijk gelijk op gaan, en daarbij kan ik me toch wel vinden in Ibarra's statement "You have to beat the champion". Dat was zeker niet het geval.

Helemaal mee eens. In mijn ogen was het heel close en in dat geval gaat de voordeel naar de champ.

chief108
08-07-2008, 10:33
was erg close indeed...

mag zeker wel snel een rematch komen IMHO

leks
08-07-2008, 14:19

Naja kan me niet voorstellen dat je dit echt gelooft.

Jochem
08-07-2008, 14:21
Ik vond de partij helemaal niet zo close. De eerste ronde voor rampage, de rest naar griffin IMO.

Evilman
08-07-2008, 16:05
Helemaal mee eens. In mijn ogen was het heel close en in dat geval gaat de voordeel naar de champ.

Wat een onzin.
Eerder andersom.. als ie champ is zou ie het verre van close moeten houden.
maar die regeltjes van fans en ibara gelden niet.
maf hoe deze wedstrijd iedereen zo in zn greep houdt zeg.

Rampage heeft gewoon verloren en moet weer aansluiten in de
rij net als chuck deed. Hij had ook wel rematch kunnen eisen omdat
ie geraakt was door n lucky punch.

slechte verliezers

Emilio
08-07-2008, 16:56
ik heb de partij inmiddels 2 x gezien. Griffin de verdiende winnaar naar mijn mening.

eerste ronde zag ik zeker niet als een 10-8 voor rampage. Hij werd feitelijk de hele ronde gedomineerd totdat forrest op die opstoot liep. voor de rest deed Rampage eigenlijk weinig vanuit de guard.

Ik heb geen brutal Gnp gezien.

Over de hele partij gezien deed rampage gewoon te weinig en was zn gameplan veel te eenzijdig.

Forrest toonde meer initatief. Domineerde ronde 2 en ging voor submissions op de grond.

Het was close maar zeker een juiste beslissing. Rematch is prima idee.

TheSkindo
08-07-2008, 16:57
Naja kan me niet voorstellen dat je dit echt gelooft.

Waarom niet? Als je het echt moet laten afhangen van een jury beslissing en als je dan verliest was je dus niet overtuigend genoeg....

FightingDutchman
08-07-2008, 17:17
eerste ronde zag ik zeker niet als een 10-8 voor rampage. Hij werd feitelijk de hele ronde gedomineerd totdat forrest op die opstoot liep.

Toen ik de partij keek gaf ik het voordeel ook duidelijk aan Forrest. Ik vind het alleen wel raar dat hij de eerste ronde heeft gewonnen op sommige jury kaarten. Rampage sloeg hem netjes naar het canvas en deed daarmee in mijn ogen zeker genoeg om de ronde te winnen. Vond Forrest namelijk niet dominant genoeg om een knockdown ongedaan te maken......

Al met al denk ik dat een re-match wel passend zou zijn want ik vond het een leuke pot!

Hinko
08-07-2008, 17:44
rampage is gewoon door de mand gevallen als een niet zo top elite fighter

zo simpel is het

anonymous001
08-07-2008, 18:02
rampage is gewoon door de mand gevallen als een niet zo top elite fighter

zo simpel is het

O, is het zo simpel? :rolleyes:

Tony
08-07-2008, 18:33
Lol...
Het lijkt weer alsof sommigen Rampage nu alweer afgeschreven hebben omdat ie van griffin verloren heeft..

Rampage hoort bij de absolute top van zijn division... Ik zei bij voorbaat al een keertje tegen ronald dat Forrest hem ging pakken.. als er iemand is met een echt vechtershart dan is het forrest wel.. Die kerel is zo ontzettend gegroeid.. niet normaal meer.

Rampage was gewoon de mindere die avond (wat je minder wilt noemen)... Maar elke stootcombi van Rampage was een potentiele KO...

Ik vond het in elk geval een puike match.. En rampage blijft een topper.

Chico
08-07-2008, 19:13
denk dat rampage hem niet serieus genomen heeft... en rampage staat niet bekend om zijn trainingsethiek... volgende partij tegen griffin zal ie weer winnen denk ik...

marcelt
08-07-2008, 19:38
Het was spannend en Forrest won terecht. Hij was ook de completere vechter. Rampage sloeg alleen harder. Forrest had inderdaad meer met zijn low kicks door moeten werken.