PDA

View Full Version : Cole Miller on his come-from-behind victory

Tony
12-07-2008, 22:28
Cole Miller on his come-from-behind victory
by John Morgan on Jul 12, 2008 at 11:15 am ET

http://mmajunkie.com/dyn/images/fighters/cole-miller.jpg

UFC 86 "Submission of the Night" bonus winner Cole Miller (14-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) will soon be able to drive his own car to practice.

Miller, who had been using his brother's car because his own 2000 Nissan Altima doesn't work, discussed the plans for utilizing his $60,000 bonus while a guest on TAGG Radio (TAGG Radio Network - Home of TAGG Radio & The Lights Out Show! (http://www.taggradio.com)), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com
(http://www.mmajunkie.com)).

"I'm probably going to pay off last year's taxes," Miller said. "I'm going to put some money away for this year's taxes. I'm going to go home and get my car fixed, which isn't running at the moment."

Miller's undercard bout with Jorge Gurgel didn't make it to the July 5 pay-per-view broadcast. But the UFC thought highly enough of the back-and-forth battle to allow fans to view the fight for free on its official website, UFC.com.

"I thought that I won the second round, for sure," Miller said. "I thought the first round was pretty close, but he edged me out. He was obviously winning the third round until the submission."

Miller won the fight with a swiftly applied triangle choke that forced fellow lightweight Gurgel to tap with just 12 seconds remaining in the bout.

"If it would have went the distance, they probably would have given it to him, two rounds to one on the scorecards," Miller admitted. "But I really wasn't thinking if I was behind or not. I was just thinking 'finish him' the entire time I was fighting him."

The 24-year-old Georgia native attributed the win to a game plan derived specifically for his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt opponent, as well as crafty use of the spider guard.

"It's a common position I use," Miller said. "I was trying to play more of an open guard. When [Gurgel] faces guys in the closed guard, that's kind of what he wants."

With his fifth win in his past six fights, Miller is unsure who his next opponent will be, but he knows there are numerous options given the depth of the UFC's lightweight division.

But the American Top Team-trained fighter was sure of one thing: that he will be purchasing a very-un-fighter-like 2009 Honda Accord and that he will be through using his brother's car.

"I had to make it to and from the gym to train," Miller said. "So it was either drive that or drive nothing."

Miller also discussed his younger brother Micah's budding MMA career, as well as his near-decision to sell his championship belt on eBay. To hear the full interview, download Friday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

Tony
12-07-2008, 22:29
Erg relaxte gozer.. lekker nuchter! Tis hem gegund, dat geld!

chief108
12-07-2008, 23:31
Cole is een leuke gast
lekker down to earth, southern redneck simplicity

heeft wel z'n ouwe team en trainer verneukt, maar dat hoort er een beetje bij in dit wereldje
heb nog wel een filmpje van z'n eerste gevecht geloof ik
maffe georgia redneck motherfuckers :p

z'n kleine broer heeft nog meer talent trouwens...
en z'n pa kan d'r ook wat van

jammer dat ze allemaal vergeten zijn dat hun roots bij mijn makker Cam McHargue van Team Praxis (blijft een geldige naam voor ons nederlanders) liggen...
vooral wat hun grappling skills betreft

zal Cam nog wel een keer naar Nederland halen voor een seminar ofzo
he rulezzzz......

The Bulldog
12-07-2008, 23:52
lijkt me een goed plan chief...ik ben van de partij dan...

chief108
13-07-2008, 01:23
ik zal het in de groep gooien binnenkort

Cam rulez big time
old southern motherfucker...
net een Drent :p