PDA

View Full Version : exclusive interview with Roger Huerta

Tony
03-08-2008, 12:22
http://images.mmamadness.com/BleedingEdge/Roger%20Huerta.jpg

MMAM: All right Roger, we are a week away from the biggest fight of your life. Not only is it in your adopted hometown, it's also for a shot at the Lightweight title and BJ Penn. Just tell us your emotions at this moment and how you feel about the biggest night of your life that really is, just a few days away.

Roger Huerta: I feel good dude. You know, I did everything I could to get ready for this fight. I traveled all over this country and Canada, training with the best Welterweight in the world in Georges [St. Pierre] and his team. John Chambers, his [Georges'] strength and conditioning coach, he really helped me a lot in that regard. I've been training out in Colorado with Trevor Whitman and he's really been helping me with my boxing, and also Nate Marquardt out there as well. I flew in Donald Cerrone here to Minnesota to help me train. Him and Leonard Garcia are currently here helping me get ready for this fight. Obviously I've been training with Dave Menne and my strength and conditioning coach Justin Hagan, and man, that guy has my back through anything. He's really been amazing with me. So with that said, I've done everything my whole life for this fight man.

Okay, what I'm saying is, you took your 8 months off, you traveled -- did your thing. But you're a week away from the biggest fight of your life, mentally, how are you feeling?

Man I'm feeling great dude. I've got my support group here in Minnesota. This is my backyard I've been living here since 2002. I've been back to New Mexico a few times and what not, I mean, my family is still there. But what I'm saying is I have been here for the last few years and I just bought a house, and this support group is just so great. I mean, this is where I started doing MMA, this is where I had my first amateur fight, this is where I became a pro. So now, to be fighting here in Minnesota, it's just crazy man. To fight for all those people who supported me--I just feel great, I feel awesome.

I can only imagine the energy you are going to feel when you come out that night in front of all your friends and fans. I'd be stoked.

I'm extremely stoked man. I feed off the energy. I feed off the crowd. I love the energy, you know man, this is going to be a hell of a f@*#ing fight--I promise you that. Kenny [Florian] is a great fighter, you know? This win will put me in the number 1 contender spot and the bottom line is that's what I want and Kenny is in my way. I have to go out there and finish him. I've got to beat him so I can get to that point.

I heard you say in your blog, "BJ Penn, get ready." Now, I know you and that's just your attitude and it's a good thing. I certainly know you aren't looking past Kenny Florian what so ever, but how huge do you think a BJ Penn vs. Roger Huerta fight would be?

Uhhh, it would be a great, great fight man but I have to beat Kenny with flying colors. I have to show them and everybody, "look dude, I'm here to stay and I'm a fighter at heart." You know it would be amazing [a fight with BJ Penn] and Kenny is just in my way. That's why this fight is so important; I have to beat Kenny, so I can get to BJ. BJ's the guy right now, he's the number 1 fighter in our weight class but he's got one more fight before it's all over .

You know, you have been through so much in your life and it's well documented so I don't need to go there. But up until this point, this is the crowning jewel of your life… I don't really know how to ask this question but just talk about the journey. Your life journey and what this all means to you.

Dude, Ryan, you know--we've had our talks, you know better than anyone. Life is an experience. I'll tell you one thing though man, this isn't even close to over. I'm hungry and I want to win, I want to keep going. I don't know man, it's just one of those speed bumps I have to get over--one of those humps. It's one of those moments I have to keep climbing and just get over it. I mean, it's nothing compared to the life I've had…you know people keep asking me about this interview I did…

Which one is that?

They put these videos on the UFC where I said the fight was going to be a "cakewalk". They f#@%ing pissed me off because what I was saying is that, COMPARED TO MY LIFE, this fight is a cakewalk. It was in no way a disrespect to Kenny, it's just with all the s@#t I've been through as a kid, fighting Kenny is a cakewalk. Anyway…when it comes down to it, it really is just a fight…it's just a fight.

You know I'm lucky enough to consider you an acquaintance and I always hear people dog Roger Huerta, "Oh he's just a pretty boy," "he hasn't fought anyone worthy," etc. Does it bother you at all that it seems people never seem to ever really get to know the real you? I guess the way you come across or whatever? Why the hate, people?

You know, I hear you man. No though, it shouldn't be that way either… Especially in this country, we are very opinionated and that is what makes freedom of speech so great--you can have your opinions, you can speak your mind. So you know what, at the end of the day the only people who matter are my family and friends, and all the people who have supported me through everything. They keep me going, they keep pushing me…you know when I'm down they literally pick me up and say, "come on, come on, you got to keep going." If my leg gives out, they become my leg. If my arm gives out, they become that. To me, that is what matters most, that is what will always matter.

What matters most to you when it comes to this game of Mixed Martial Arts?

Oh man, there's so much. Just respect, man....respect for one another.

Ahhhh, now you bring me to something. The "boo birds." You know my opinion, I think they are like gum on the bottom of my shoe. I just have no respect for people who boo two warriors stepping in a cage, I don't care who's fighting.

I don't know man, it would be great if someday....if people could just see the training we go through, the grueling moments, the weight training, oh my god. Just go through a day, you know? Yeah I really dislike the fact that people don't get it sometimes, they just don't get it.

Well switching gears a bit, and in hope that the wonderful fans of Minneapolis don't have that "problem"--how important and how nice is it for you to see the UFC expand into that upper region of the country?

I think it's great man! You know, the Midwest has been known for the smaller shows, and obviously we have had shows in Iowa, Minnesota, Chicago....it''s just a beautiful thing how the sport keeps growing. And that's one great thing about the UFC, the way they have expanded the sport and educated people. You know, you have to give it to those guys, they did a great job with that.

Yeah, and with the recent loss of money that companies like Elite XC and the IFL have had trying to catch the UFC--what do you think about all that?

You know, I think competition is good. It allows for a company to think outside the box and to keep putting on shows. If it wasn't for competition this sport wouldn't keep progressing.

Do you think they have any chance at competing with the UFC on that level?

It's like comparing Reebok to Nike, you know? I mean, the UFC really is the foundation. When you think of Nike, you think of athletic gear. You hear UFC, and you think Mixed Martial Arts.

So is it safe to say you'll be staying with the UFC?

As of right now, and if everything goes well with myself and the company--yeah, definitely I'll be staying with the UFC.

How many fights do you have on your current contract?

After this fight I have one fight left on my contract.

Ok so what does that entail? The UFC makes you resign before a title shot right?

I think that's what the deal is, but I don't worry about that--that's why I pay my manager!

Right? Hook a brother up!

[Laughs] Yup!

Well all right Roger, let's get to the fight. You and Kenny are both exciting fighters and I don't think there is anyone out there who isn't looking forward to this fight. So let it loose bro, what's up?

You know man, I've been training my ass off for this fight. A friend of mine told me that Kenny Florian is a gatekeeper, and I have to beat him to get to the title. You know, he fought for the title and lost, and he hasn't lost since. So he truly is the gatekeeper and I have to run through him.

When looking at the style match up, I don't think there is any doubt that this is one of those fights that should be a five rounder instead of a three…

Oh, no doubt!

Right, so what I'm saying is, when looking at his strengths and yours, what do you think…

Dude, I have to just go after him. I have to give him everything I've got. Again, like you said it's only three rounds so I can't…You know what, this goes back to something I said before. I've always been asked how I've made it this far and overcame so much, and I always quote the movie "Gattica," "I'm not saving anything for the trip back."

Love that quote man. OK, I wanted to talk about your recent discussion about moving to welterweight. What prompted that? Do you want to clean out the Lightweight division after you beat BJ and then move up, or what?

Nah man, I want to get the belt from BJ, and then obviously defend it more than a few times so I know at that time I was the pound for pound champion. What I mean by moving up is this: the more and more older I get, it's harder to get the weight down and with the training I do, the more mass I'm getting. Do you get what I'm saying?

Yeah, for sure.

So what I'm saying in 3 or 4 years it's going to be hard to get my body down to 155. I have to go with my body instead of against it, and I will have to move up.

Well that would pose an interesting match up with your buddy Georges, I mean…

Not at all! That's my brother dude, that will never happen.

So you would never fight Georges for anything?

Not at all man. That guy has taught me so much and more than anything, he has become an amazing friend of mine. He's my bro dude.

That's awesome, tell us about the time you've spent with him and your guys relationship.

I went to Montreal and he picked me up from the airport, no worries. He let me stay at his house and I was on his schedule helping him train for [Jon] Fitch. Just being around that guy, I know what it takes to be a champion. I can see why he is a champion, why he is so athletic--the guy is always training, he is always active, and always thinking about the next fight. He is so analytical in the approach to a fight, he is always going over his opponent and he seems to know what they are going to do before they do. It's just amazing being around that dude, he's a great champion, a great human being, he has a great heart and he's an amazing role model.

Tony
So it's safe to say he really helped you along the lines of being a cerebral fighter?

Yup, it sure does. The people around him too--the trainers he hooked me up with, John Chambers and Phil [Nurse], those two guys have been amazing.

How much has that played a role in your confidence?

It's done a lot bro! It's done so much, I'm telling you, you know…I didn't really get to take 8 months off, I've been training, I've been studying, I've been learning and being around that guy [Georges St. Pierre] has been just…crazy. I mean rolling with him live? Wrestling with him live? Sparring with him live? I mean, serious come on now!? You know what I mean? You know going up against a guy like that; I'm OK with the other ones.

[EDIT: After some rambling about each others lives and other off the record stuff (which included talk of Roger getting some "poutine" (A Canadian "delicacy" of French fries and gravy…) with David Loiseau--we get to this next question]

So how is everything going in your life man? How's the family and what not?

Ahhhhh, I couldn't be more blessed Ryan. Just the support group of my family and friends…like I said I couldn't be more blessed. You know everyone around me, including myself obviously [laughs] is focused on August 9th. It really is going to be a big night for me.

Well in closing I asked you this question a long time ago, but I want to do it again. You've had a great career so far, the cover of SI and all that junk, but when it's all said and done and your career is over; what do you want people to say about Roger Huerta?

I want them to say, "That guy there, he was the real deal. All bulls@#t aside, he went in there and laid it on the f@#%ing line."

Tony
Top interview

:osu:

KO TKO
04-08-2008, 02:15
Leuk interview.

Ik denk Roger Huerta van Kenny Florian gaat winnen. Ik hoop dat in ieder geval wel, want hij is een spectaculaire vechter.

Slome
04-08-2008, 03:11
thnx tony:

Will The UFC invest in Roger Huerta?

http://www.matratz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/huertaroger400ufc.jpg

After reading what Roger Huerta had to say in fight magazine about the treatment and pay the UFC gives it’s fighters, it made it clear as day that if the UFC doesn’t take the crow bar out of it’s wallet, they are going to start losing fighters right before they hit their peak in skill and popularity
“The truth is, I don’t really care if I fight in the UFC or somewhere else,” Huerta says. The fighter says he understands that Zuffa has to keep an eye on the bottom line, but he wants to work, “For a company that is as loyal to me as I am to them.”
When the UFC lost Couture, Oritz and Sylvia, it was easy for the UFC to let them go because they had them when they were at there “best”. But Roger Huerta on the other hand is a different situation for Zuffa. Huerta’s best years are still ahead of him. He is one of the better athletes in MMA. He is latino, speaks fluent Spanish and just about every woman that has seen him, thinks he is better looking then Oscar De La Hoya.
Would the UFC let a potential gold mine like Huerta go? I doubt it. The UFC knows how to spend there money and Roger would be a good investment.

nicolas the red
04-08-2008, 10:33
TTT for poutine!!!