PDA

View Full Version : WTF: School informeert ouders over geslachtsverandering conciërge

Christophe
25-08-2008, 17:32
:eek:

School informs parents of janitor’s life change

OXFORD— The tall custodian with a shy smile, striking blue eyes and softly waved salt-and-pepper hair wears a gray T-shirt, as do all school custodians in town. In previous years, students at Clara Barton Elementary School knew him as Brian Bonin. However, starting this year, they will know him as Brianna Bonin.

Parents of all pupils at the school can expect to receive a letter this week signed by both Ernest L. Boss, superintendent of schools, and Principal Norman P. Yvon, explaining, “Our night custodian has informed us of his decision to change his gender and, as we begin the school year, he will begin living and working as a woman. He has been a valued employee of the Oxford Public Schools for many years, and we expect his exemplary performance to continue as he changes gender roles.”

http://images.telegram.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=WT&Date=20080819&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=808190601&Ref=AR&Profile=1116&title=1&MaxW=700&MaxH=600

He has not had gender reassignment surgery yet, but plans to do that as soon as it becomes economically feasible.

“I’m looking forward to becoming a woman. My doctor said they are trying to get such surgery covered by insurance, but it isn’t yet,” said Mr. Bonin, an Oxford resident.

Mr. Boss said yesterday, “We alerted parents to make it easier on them. It’s her life. We won’t tolerate prejudice. We teach our kids understanding and tolerance.”

Mr. Yvon said, “We expect the kids to accept this readily. They see a man with long hair and ask if he’s a girl. But we are aware that this can be a difficult topic for parents. If the kids ask, we suggest telling them that our custodian used to be a man, but is now a woman.”

It sounds simple, but for Brianna Frances Bonin, 54, formerly known as Brian Francis Bonin, the decision to change genders was far from easy.

Mr. Bonin grew up in Worcester, where he knew early on that he was different. “When I was a child, I would try on my sister’s clothes and my mother’s clothes.”

He attended North High School until 11th grade, when he dropped out and went to work at Memorial Hospital as a dietary aide, then in housekeeping and finally as a surgical orderly. He earned his high school diploma and worked other jobs, including as an assembler at Feecon Corp. in Westboro. In 1999, he joined the staff of the Oxford School Department.

“I love my job. We have great kids and a wonderful staff here at Clara Barton,” Mr. Bonin said.

Fellow school custodian Stephen S. Anderson said, “I think it’s fantastic. Whatever makes her happy makes me happy. My wife has two transgenders in her family. It takes a lot of guts to come out like she did. She does a fantastic job here.”

Though Mr. Bonin’s professional life is working out well, his private life is more complex.

Mr. Bonin married twice and had two children. “My daughter (28) has accepted me. My son (33) is having trouble with this. It’s to be expected. Eventually, I’ll have my family over to talk. I’m always open. I still love them.”

Mr. Bonin’s wife of 14 years, Catherine Bonin, is also “having trouble” adjusting to the fact that her husband no longer exists. “Cathy is divorcing me and moving to Florida. She is a wonderful woman. She is hurt. She lost her wonderful husband Brian she still loves. Brian no longer exists. She wants a man. I’m not a man. I don’t blame her. She will go on with her new life and I’ll stay here and go on with my new life as a woman.”

Mr. Bonin said he was terrified that he would lose his job and face ridicule and criticism, but instead has had only support from the Clara Barton community and the Oxford School Department.

“I was scared. I’m glad it’s over and I’m out now,” he said.

He has not had gender reassignment surgery yet, but plans to do that as soon as it becomes economically feasible.

He attended a support group picnic in Connecticut and is reaching out to the transgender community as well as to the rest of society for understanding.

“We are not gay. We want to be who we are. I’m transgending. Maybe when the whole process is over, I will be interested in men, but for now, I’m just interested in becoming a woman,” he said.

Jesse T. Pack, 26, who transgendered from female to male at age 19, is coordinator for New Horizons, an advocacy and support group for the transgendered hosted by AIDS Project Worcester. He said that the main concern for people changing gender is job loss or the inability to get hired.

“If an employee is outed at work, they might be fired or, if applying for a job, might not be hired. In Massachusetts, there is legal recourse through the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. Massachusetts law protects gay people but not transgendered people — at least not yet,” Mr. Pack said.

He said six to eight people regularly attend his support group, which is mixed “M to F and F to M” and about 30 more transgendered or cross-dressers who come in occasionally. He estimated that there are “several hundred of us in Central Massachusetts.”

The American Psychological Association estimates that one in 10,000 biological males and one in 30,000 biological females are transgendered.

Mr. Bonin said he has no regrets and would encourage anyone else who is transgendered to come out. “It can be scary, but be yourself. You don’t have to suffer. I suffered — so did people around me. I was frustrated. Now, I’m so happy. I feel fantastic. I’m happier than I’ve ever been.”

Mr. Pack said, “I encourage people to accept other people as they are, to educate themselves about the transgendered and to listen to and respect transgendered people.

“In the case of very young children, they don’t understand sex, so don’t address sexual issues, but they do understand gender. Tell them that some people are born with girl bodies and boy hearts. Other people are born with boy bodies and girl hearts. They all want to dress to match their hearts.”

Worcester Telegram & Gazette News (http://www.telegram.com/article/20080819/NEWS/808190601/1116/index.html)