PDA

View Full Version : UFC Will Wait for Fedor

MB667
03-09-2008, 16:01
Options: Email Article | Printer Friendly
Wednesday, September 03, 2008
by Loretta Hunt ([email protected])

UFC President Dana White confidently laid out his organization’s plan to acquire the services of Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) for a future matchup with recently returned heavyweight champion Randy Couture (Pictures).

The promotion will simply wait, he said during a conference call Tuesday.

“Randy Couture (Pictures)’s going to fight November 15,” White said, as if referring to a predetermined timeline. “He’s going to fight Brock Lesnar (Pictures) in the biggest fight in UFC history. The rest of the heavyweight division will be figured out in December. I would be f—king horrified if Affliction is still in business by January. They’re going to burn a lot of cash in the next couple of months, believe me. Good luck to them and I’ll be sitting here waiting to see what happens.”

Emelianenko, 31, is reported to have committed to an exclusive U.S. contract with Affliction Entertainment, an extraordinarily successful clothing company that branched into promoting events with “Banned” on July 19 in Anaheim, Calif., and will launch its second event on UFC turf on Oct. 11 in Las Vegas.

It is unknown what commitment the vaunted Russian fighter has made to Affliction, though White seemed unfettered by that detail regardless.

“These guys are dying on the vine,” said White of Affliction. “They’ll be gone in a couple of months anyway and then Fedor will have to come here. Listen, you’re not under contract if the company isn’t in business anymore. We’ll figure it out.”

Photo by Sherdog.com

Affliction's Tom Atencio has little
hope of landing a coveted bout
between two of the sport's most
respected heavyweights, Randy
Couture and Fedor Emelianenko.It seems like White has good reason to be cocky. The bold UFC chief has led his promotion to phenomenal success in the U.S. since the January 2005 debut of “The Ultimate Fighter” on Spike TV. Though a handful of potential challengers have risen to usurp the promotion’s grip on the industry, not one has been able to stake its claim for long.

The International Fight League, which debuted in April 2006 and ran for 23 events, incurred a hefty $36 million debt before it closed its doors this summer. Pro Elite, a Los Angeles-based company that houses multiple promotions from EliteXC to King of the Cage to Icon Sport, is $55 million in the red with its shaky future hinging on a blowout ratings bonanza for its Oct. 4 event on CBS.

Though Affliction’s sole offering was commended for its stellar cast of five top-10 heavyweights, the promotion had to pay through the nose to get it –- $3.3 million according to disclosed commission reports but rumored to be as high as $5-6 million behind the scenes. Affliction’s second event will carry a much lighter purse, but it will also lack the services of Emelianenko and a few other top-ranked draws as well.

Now without the possibility of nabbing Couture -- who re-signed into a fresh three-fight deal with the UFC Tuesday –- Affliction, along with all the others, has little hope of landing a coveted bout between the sport’s two most respected heavyweights. White clearly stated Tuesday he will make no concessions for a co-promotional effort, mainly because he knows he probably won’t ever have to.

And Couture, who signed on the dotted line in good faith that the UFC will pursue a fight with Emelianenko with all of their resources, will now push his agenda from the inside.

After all, Zuffa has what might be the biggest bargaining tool of all to lure Emelianenko into the Octagon once and for all –- “The Natural” himself.

“I know he’s expressed interest in this fight,” Couture told reporters Tuesday, “but I think if people are to take him seriously and give him credit as the number-one heavyweight in the world, then he needs to come fight me. That makes sense to me.”

Jochem
03-09-2008, 16:15
?Couture denkt dat hij de top dog is door Tim Sylvia en Gonzaga te verslaan?

De man van 14K
03-09-2008, 16:35
blablablabla

chief108
03-09-2008, 16:39
“I know he’s expressed interest in this fight,” Couture told reporters Tuesday, “but I think if people are to take him seriously and give him credit as the number-one heavyweight in the world, then he needs to come fight me. That makes sense to me.”
:lol:

hij moet toch eerst tegen Lesnar?

oh well....

stomme yanks

Chico
03-09-2008, 17:11
Couture told reporters Tuesday, “but I think if people are to take him seriously and give him credit as the number-one heavyweight in the world, then he needs to come fight me. That makes sense to me.”
if americans bedoelt ie zeker.. de rest van de wereld weet al hoe het zit...

YoMarK
03-09-2008, 17:13
En Couture slapt Affliction even in het gezicht door daar niet te gaan vechten.
Hopelijk beukt Lesnar hem voorgoed into retirement, dan zijn we er vanaf.
Ik vond het geweldig zoals hij won van Gonzaga en Sylvia, maar de hele soap daarna had dus duidelijk niets met repect te maken(wat dit is ook niet respectvol voor Affliction), maar met dollars.
Kan hier echt pissed om worden.

fedor
03-09-2008, 17:19
if americans bedoelt ie zeker.. de rest van de wereld weet al hoe het zit...

x2

na lesnar-couture there will be no more couture....dat denk ik tenminste en als couture dat echt gezegd heeft, is 'ie te lang met Dana in gesprek geweest want dat zijn respectloze uitingen.

ICON
05-09-2008, 08:24
I approached this gamy with unbelieving optimism. I'll go on disk as an avid eager fan of the Express of Warcraft (WOW) multi-player video spirited. Could the lineage 2 adena elements that prefab WOW much a tremendous success as a video gritty be translated into a peculiarity cardgame?

x2

panther management
05-09-2008, 10:22
Dana heeft het weer slim aangepakt,wint Couture dan moet hij nog 2 x vechten voor de UFC hiermee wint hij tijd en hoopt dat Affliction failliet gaat.
Verliest Couture de partij dan vecht hij nog 2 keer in de UFC, stel de partij tegen Fedor niet doorgaat dat kan hij zeggen dat Couture niet de beste is maar Lesnar.

Op deze manier hoopt hij Fedor naar de UFC te lokken :thown:
Om zo een record PPV deal te sluiten Couture vs Lesnar,Couture vs Fedor
en Fedor vs Lesnar.

RtoDeep
05-09-2008, 13:54
wat heeft lesnar waarmee hij het fedor moeilijk kan maken??? size?? lijkt me niet. maarja ik zie couture liever tegen Big Nog dan tegen lesnar, maarja miss dat lesnar dan snel uitgehyped is, als hij ook door randy wordt verslagen.

we zullen zien