PDA

View Full Version : Evan Tanner dood gevonden

dirk5
09-09-2008, 09:23
The Imperial County Sheriff’s Department today discovered the dead body of a man in the Palo Verde, California, mountain area. And it is believed — although still unconfirmed — that it could be Tanner.

Here's more info:

Evan Tanner dies in the desert (seriously) at UFC blog for UFC news, results, videos, rumors, fights, pics and tickets MMAmania.com (http://mmamania.com/2008/09/08/evan-tan) ... seriously/

*edited to "confirmed" now

bron: nokaut.com

zou een zeer trieste zaak zijn, ben blij dat ik zijn laatste gevecht nog live heb kunnen meemaken.
R.I.P.

Tony
09-09-2008, 09:29
wtf.. .dit meen je niet he..omfg

Laten we hopen dat het niet echt evan tanner is... zou wel heel erg zijn.

Tony
09-09-2008, 09:32
“I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life.”

– Evan Tanner, August 18, 2008

Hij is dus té diep gegaan.... Vraag me af wat de precieze doodsoorzaak is dan.. (uitdroging?)

dirk5
09-09-2008, 09:33
denk het, kan ook behoorlijk koud worden daar snachts dus misschien onderkoeling.

bryan
09-09-2008, 09:33
aardig bizar....

Tony
09-09-2008, 09:34
Site Sponsors:
Lavalife: Where Singles Click
Betting on UFC

Interested in betting on the UFC? Check out the MMAjunkie MMA Wagering Guide. It will tell you everything you need to know to get started. We recommend our partner site Bodog.

Bet on MMA

Latest UFC Odds
Site Meter
News Item

Former UFC middleweight champ Evan Tanner dead at 37
by Dann Stupp on Sep 08, 2008 at 9:04 pm ET
Evan Tanner, a former UFC middleweight champion and one of MMA's most popular fighters, was found dead in the Palo Verde mountain area of California today.

He was 37 years old.

A friend of Tanner's told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com
(http://www.mmajunkie.com)) that authorities have recovered his body. Kyria McBrayer, who also assisted the popular fighter with his "Team Tanner" fan/sponsorship club, said she received the unfortunate news today.

Calls to the Imperial County Sheriff's Office were not immediately returned, but according to published reports, a campsite, which included Tanner's motorcycle, was recently discovered. A sheriff's deputy then found Tanner's body when searching the mountain's Clapp Springs area.

The cause and other details of Tanner's death were not immediately known.

His friends last heard from Tanner this past Wednesday, Sept. 3. A search for Tanner began on Saturday, when temperatures in the area reached nearly 115 degrees, but the efforts initially yielded no results.

The Palo Verde mountain area is located in southern California near the Arizona border.

Tanner (32-8 MMA, 12-5 UFC), a Texas native who won state high school wrestling titles in both his junior and senior years, turned an MMA professional in 1997 and began his career with a stellar 19-1 record to earn his way into the UFC.

Tanner, who claimed he learned much of the sport from instructional tapes and DVDs, received his first UFC title shot in 2001 but suffered a quick first-round knockout to then-UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz. However, after going 7-1 in his next eight fights and dropping to the middleweight division, Tanner defeated David Terrell for the organization's vacant 185-pound title in February 2005.

His championship reign would be a short one, though; Rich Franklin defeated Tanner in his very next fight.

After the loss, Tanner fought twice more for the organization before taking a nearly two-year break from competition. During the time away, Tanner began work on a charity to provide a home, training and support system for disadvantaged athletes, but he ultimately scrapped the idea soon after the home opened. Also during the break, Tanner authored a popular blog on his official website that discussed everything from his travels to the restoration of a sail boat to his battle with alcohol addiction.

In November 2007, though, Tanner confirmed he had signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC and was returning to competition. Tanner shunned corporate sponsorships and instead implemented Team Tanner, which allowed fans to sponsor him directly. Fans were rewarded with gear, memorabilia and other items depending on the amount paid.

Tanner fought twice after signing the deal. He suffered a knockout loss to Yushin Okami in March, and in his most recent fight, he headlined The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale against "TUF 3" winner Kendall Grove. Tanner lost a close split decision at the June event, and MMAjunkie.com was later told he was trying to fight through injuries at the event.

Just prior to that most recent fight, Tanner became a blogger for Spike.com. The popular online journal chronicled all aspects of his life. His final post was dated Sept. 2.

In an Aug. 16 entry, Tanner discussed his plans to camp out in a California desert as a sort of a spiritual journey. Many readers voiced concern that he expected only to bring the bare necessities.

"I've been gathering my gear for this adventure for over a month, not a long time by most standards, but far too long for my impatient nature," Tanner wrote. "Being a minimalist by nature, wanting to carry only the essentials, and being extremely particular, it has been a little difficult to find just the right equipment. I plan on going so deep into the desert that any failure of my equipment could cost me my life."

In his final post last week, he talked about training at the Compound MMA camp in Oceanside, Calif., and surfing at the local beach.

We'll have more on this story as information becomes available.

Emilio
09-09-2008, 10:11
R.I.P

tragisch zeg. Vond het altijd wel coole gast.

Tony
09-09-2008, 10:22
Official statement van de UFC

UFC (http://uk.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=14429)

Tsuki
09-09-2008, 10:28
WOW heftige shit ......................R.I.P.

Wheelie
09-09-2008, 10:31
DAMN heel erg triest nieuws :(

Ralph
09-09-2008, 10:33
Klote. Triest nieuws inderdaad. RIP

FightingDutchman
09-09-2008, 10:33
Damn! Heftig nieuws! RIP!

Paganstars
09-09-2008, 10:35
RIP

Tony
09-09-2008, 10:51
Live life on the wild side...

anonymous001
09-09-2008, 10:56
Zonde...:(

Jochem
09-09-2008, 11:15
RIP

YoMarK
09-09-2008, 11:15
Zonde inderdaad. :(
(Al hoop ik dat het bericht toch onjuist is)

chief108
09-09-2008, 11:38
bummer...

maar wel een coole manier om te gaan
reps voor Evan Tanner en zijn manier van leven

RIP bro
hoop dat je een inspiratie voor velen bent geweest

lopez86
09-09-2008, 11:41
RIP Tanner

blazin.arr0w::::
09-09-2008, 11:51
he bah, naar nieuws.

Chief has got a point.

leobos
09-09-2008, 11:51
r.i.p. evan..

Mickey
09-09-2008, 11:57
WTf

dirk5
09-09-2008, 12:15
ik zal het lezen van zijn Blog erg gaan missen.

vond het geweldig om zijn ervaringen binnen en buiten de octagon te lezen, vooral door zijn "eerlijke" manier van schrijven.

voor de mensen die het nooit gelezen hebben: Evan_Tanner's profile - SPIKE (http://www.spike.com/profile/Evan_Tanner)

ashi76
09-09-2008, 12:19
kut.

HUNEBED
09-09-2008, 12:38
rust zacht!

michaell
09-09-2008, 12:56
R.I.P. :(

BBC
09-09-2008, 13:25
Shit. Another free spirit gone.
'K vond hem echt een oprecht, origineel en moedig mens.

tom l
09-09-2008, 13:27
Man dat is hard...R.I.P. Maar beter zo gaan dan als een 80 jarige demente plant met een volgescheten pamper in een ziekenhuisbed.

Yamato Damashii
09-09-2008, 13:27
RIP

wrestler_nl
09-09-2008, 13:42
RIP!!!!

Jani
09-09-2008, 14:12
Damn !!! wat zonde

R.I.P.

Deze man heeft echt zijn leven geleeft ,en is op zijn manier gegaan.
Diep Respect

Tribute
YouTube - Evan Tanner Tribute (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgdoaNT3J5c)

chief108
09-09-2008, 14:15
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9958/ripevantanner1ob0.jpg

Il Loco
09-09-2008, 14:24
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9958/ripevantanner1ob0.jpg

Nice!

Rust in vrede! Tragisch nieuws, maar zoals al door vele gezegd, hij ging wel op zijn manier! Respect!

MMARuud
09-09-2008, 14:28
RIP

d3mon1977
09-09-2008, 15:08
R.I.P

Vond het altijd wel coole gast.

ja ik ook. zo'n rauwe vechter.
Helaas. R.I.P, man!

Slome
09-09-2008, 15:29
Rip

J_roen
09-09-2008, 16:26
R.i.p.

FOCUS
09-09-2008, 16:41
bummer...

maar wel een coole manier om te gaan
reps voor Evan Tanner en zijn manier van leven

RIP bro
hoop dat je een inspiratie voor velen bent geweest

nuff said

De dikke nudist
09-09-2008, 16:48
'Cause you can't have your cake and eat it too.

nicolas the red
09-09-2008, 16:49
tragisch. de man was duidelijk al jaren depressief, snap niet waarom hij nooit professionele hulp gezocht heeft. maar ja, dat zal wel niet in z'n wereldbeeld gepast hebben. RIP Evan.

MB667
09-09-2008, 16:52
Treasure hunting in the desert. - SPIKE (http://www.spike.com/blog/treasure-hunting-in/67570)

RIP

Biiyen
09-09-2008, 19:07
Damn... Dat is wel klote nieuws! R.I.P Evan...

the boxer
09-09-2008, 19:13
RIP

fedor
09-09-2008, 20:06
Verschrikkelijk nieuws...een uniek persoon in de breedste zin van het woord
R.I.P

chief108
09-09-2008, 20:18
denk dat hij liever had gezien dat we allemaal het leven vierden, dan dat we treurden om z'n dood...

wie weet knalt morgen de aarde uitelkaar (http://www.mixfight.nl/forum/showthread.php?t=85119)
je weet maar nooit
maak je eigen avonturen man....

Jeru
09-09-2008, 20:51
Damn.... ik wist dat ik me niet had moeten scheren vandaag. Daar komen alleen maar ongelukken van.

R.I.P. Evan!!

De man van 14K
09-09-2008, 21:36
koele gast die Tanner, jammer hoor!

tfix
09-09-2008, 21:46
R.i.P

ROIDRAGE
09-09-2008, 22:09
RIP Evan

Tony
09-09-2008, 22:30
Hayner said that Tanner had gone into the desert on a motorcycle expedition and had run out of gas. Tanner was attempting to walk out of the desert, Hayner said, but apparently didn’t realize how far away from civilization he was and died of exposure in the triple-digit heat. Tanner’s empty campsite was spotted Sunday, and an aerial search located his body earlier this afternoon.

“Here was a famous UFC fighter who didn’t have enough food to eat at times. I’d call him just to make sure he had food in his fridge, but he never let it get him down. Starting over was kind of a theme in his life. He hardly ever lived in the same place more than six months,” Hayner said. “He moved out to Vegas and then found it too shallow for him, so he moved out to Oceanside and had a great place, he was learning to surf, and he was really enjoying his day-to-day life.”

nicolas the red
10-09-2008, 11:18
beetje naief maar ja, dat was z'n charme zeker?

Fr3ddy
10-09-2008, 11:24
RIP

Beetje naief? Darwin Award waardig :S

dirk5
10-09-2008, 12:08
naief om te gaan lopen wanneer je benzine op is?

Vraag me af welke opties hij nog meer had dan. Hij was niet meer te bereiken sinds woensdag dus effe bellen zat er ook niet in.

Influcted
10-09-2008, 12:15
RIP

Beetje naief? Darwin Award waardig :S

Totaal niet? Hij was compleet voorbereid voor zij trip. Wat is hier Darwin Award achtig aan?

Fr3ddy
10-09-2008, 16:02
naief om te gaan lopen wanneer je benzine op is?

Vraag me af welke opties hij nog meer had dan. Hij was niet meer te bereiken sinds woensdag dus effe bellen zat er ook niet in.

Ja, als hij had 'nagedacht', voordat hij deze 'ondoordachte' onderneming begon was hij niet eens in deze situatie terecht gekomen.

Totaal niet? Hij was compleet voorbereid voor zij trip. Wat is hier Darwin Award achtig aan?

Hij was compleet NIET voorbereid. Lees zijn blog. Als je geen verstand hebt van de woestijn maar er graag wilt vertoeven, omdat je een vriendin erover hebt horen praten. Als je een maand de tijd neemt om de nodige spullen te verzamelen en je zelf al beseft dat dat te weinig is, omdat je er te weinig verstand van hebt, en dus zelf al de statement maakt dat het weleens je laatste tripje zou kunnen zijn. Als je niet berekent hoeveel benzine je mee moet nemen en uiteindelijk alleen benzine hebt voor de heenweg. Als je vervolgens besluit door de stinkend hete woestijn terug te lopen (overigens vreselijk als je ten einde raad dat besluit moet nemen.. vreselijke dood ook :() terwijl dat vrijwel onmogelijk is..

Ja, dat vind ik zwak uitgedrukt niet slim

MilfhunterMMA
10-09-2008, 16:52
Ja, als hij had 'nagedacht', voordat hij deze 'ondoordachte' onderneming begon was hij niet eens in deze situatie terecht gekomen.

Hij was compleet NIET voorbereid. Lees zijn blog. Als je geen verstand hebt van de woestijn maar er graag wilt vertoeven, omdat je een vriendin erover hebt horen praten. Als je een maand de tijd neemt om de nodige spullen te verzamelen en je zelf al beseft dat dat te weinig is, omdat je er te weinig verstand van hebt, en dus zelf al de statement maakt dat het weleens je laatste tripje zou kunnen zijn. Als je niet berekent hoeveel benzine je mee moet nemen en uiteindelijk alleen benzine hebt voor de heenweg. Als je vervolgens besluit door de stinkend hete woestijn terug te lopen (overigens vreselijk als je ten einde raad dat besluit moet nemen.. vreselijke dood ook :() terwijl dat vrijwel onmogelijk is..

Ja, dat vind ik zwak uitgedrukt niet slim

ach, iedereen doet wel eens wat impulsiefs dat later toch niet zo verstandig bleek te zijn. meestal gaat het goed, soms gaat het fout. net zo als in de ring stappen, je weet dat er bepaalde risico's aan verbonden zijn en het lijkt me ook het meest rationele wat je kunt doen maar uiteindelijk gaat het om dat supergevoel , toch?

MMA Fan
10-09-2008, 17:44
RIP MAN !!!!

chief108
12-09-2008, 10:00
dit is het gebied waar hij is gevonden...

lijkt zo gek nog niet met die steden in de buurt enzo
maar ja, als het echt zo fucking heet is wil je daar niet rondlopen iig....

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brawley+ca&ie=UTF8&ll=33.502469,-115.286407&spn=0.42828,0.889893&t=h&z=11)

MMA Fan
22-09-2008, 19:51
Death
In the second-to-last entry posted on his Spike-TV blog on August 27, Tanner wrote,

"I've been sitting around this apartment, bored to tears, waiting on the last of the gear I need for the desert adventure to come in the mail. I've really been looking forward to getting out there. I've been writing about it a little bit here. It seems some MMA websites have reported on the story, posting up that I might die out in the desert, or that it might be my greatest opponent yet, etc. Come on guys. It's really common down in southern California to go out to the off road recreation areas in the desert about an hour away from LA and San Diego. So my plan is to go out to the desert, do some camping, ride the motorcycle, and shoot some guns. Sounds like a lot of fun to me. A lot of people do it. This isn't a version of "Into the Wild". I'm not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I'm going fully geared up, and I'm planning on having some fun.

I do plan on going back pretty far, so I did mention in one of my posts that I wanted to make sure to have good quality gear. Any failure of gear out in the desert could cause a problem."[7]

Tanner had recently purchased a dirt bike, and on September 3 he rode into the desert-like region north of Brawley, California to go camping.[8] According to Tanner's manager John Hayner, Tanner called that afternoon to say that his bike had run out of gas, and that he would accordingly walk back to civilization.[8] [2]According to the marine search and rescue team who found his body, he was in the desert camping and while trying to return to his camp after hiking to Clapp Springs, he succumbed to elements after he drank all of his water while hiking to anticipated wet springs, only to find them dry. He waited until nightfall, after calling friends, to attempt a quest back to his campsite where he still had water and a fully fueled motorcycle. Evan succumbed to the exposure of the elements. He was found 2 miles from his camp after having hiked 5 miles away. Temperatures that day reached 118 degrees Fahrenheit (48C), and friends became concerned and reported Tanner missing after he failed to contact them.[8] His body was discovered by a Marine helicopter on September 8, and the Imperial County sheriff's office cited heat exposure as a preliminary cause of death.[8]

Evan Tanner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Tanner)