PDA

View Full Version : interview Bonjasky nav Slowinski gevecht

marcelt
16-09-2008, 20:54
10-09-2008

Remy “The Flying Gentleman” Bonjasky vs Paul Slowinski

On the 27 of September Remy “The Flying Gentleman” Bonjasky will fight against Paul Slowinksi. The K-1 stage is set in the Olympic Gymnasium-1 in Seoul,Korea.
The stake is nothing less than one of the eight qualification places for the K-1 Grand Prix 2008!

Off course both fighters are more than eager to win this bout which is the 1st and a very important step for the K-1 Championships belt 2008. Slowinski is a relative newcomer in the K-1 circuit, but Paul has already made a name as a top notch and hard fighter.

Below Remy answers a few questions asked by fans about the fight against Paul Slowinski as well as some general questions:

interviewer: Your next fight is against Paul Slowinski who is originally from Poland. How is it possible that you Remy looking like you have a 100% Surinam heritage have a surname that sounds like it is originally from the East of Europe ?

The name Bonjasky comes from the Surinam phrase “Bonyo Na Skin ” which literally means bones in body/ large bone men, which can be translated as tall and big men. Back in the days when surname’s had to be registered there were a lot of illiterate civilians as well as there was illiteracy among the government officials who had to register the surname’s. So when the surname was registered they spelled it the way they thought is should be written and this explains my last name.

What’s your opinion about the fighter Paul Slowinski and or you happy with this fight?

Paul is a strong and hard fighter with a real fighting heart and mentality.
He never gives up and the only thing Paul knows is going forward. His last match was a perfect example of this, Paul received 8 counts but still managed to win the game.
I don’t have a happy or disappointing feeling towards the match against Paul, because I believe that to eventually be the best you have to beat the best and win from anyone. And in order to be the best and beat the best I train for the best, so any opponent will receive the same treatment and focus.

On all forum’s I read that you can win this match against Paul Slowinski easily and Paul does not stand any chance against you. Do you sometimes experience difficult moments dealing with the pressure people put on you ?

No it is not hard dealing with this kind of pressure. people will always expect a lot of someone who has already succeeded in a lot of things. I train for the worst case scenario and I will never underestimate any opponent, ever.

Who do you think can be the next K-1 GP champion ?

I only focus on myself. However I think everyone can become the champion if a fighter trains hard and has the right mentality and focus.

Remy since the K-1 GP 2007 you seem to be in perfect shape again. Nevertheless you always start with a slow speed in the 1st round and you build up the speed from the 2nd round. why is this (Except the match against Melvin Manhoef)?

It is all a strategy issue. With some fighters you have to fight patient , with other fights you have to fight at full speed in the first round. Furthermore the fighting strategy you choose is a mixture of many different factors. Everything has to come together in the right way. For instance you should have no injuries, you should have had the perfect training preparation, no illness and last but not least you have to feel the right way.

Do you have any fixed rituals or superstition before a fight?

No I don’t have any fixed rituals and I am not superstitious however the last few years before every fight I do tell myself:
“Make sure that Cassius can be proud of you” (Cassius is the son of Remy).
And furthermore I have changed my music theme a few times but it always has been just instrumental music.

How long was the period of time between the 1st and 2nd retina surgery ? and how do you deal with this during training and fighting?

It took 1.5 year between both surgeries. Before the 1st operation I saw little light flashes due to a retina flaw. After this surgery I sometimes saw little dots. After the 2nd surgery It all went well, and I did not have any problem with seeing. I even had my eyes lasered, so I don’t have to wear glasses anymore.
(van remybonjasky.com)