PDA

View Full Version : Gegard Mousasi Bumps to 205, New Year’s or Affliction Next

Jani
16-10-2008, 12:12
leuk stuk over mousasi op sherdog:

Five weeks have passed since the biggest night of Gegard Mousasi’s young career, and the toasted middleweight awaits his next assignment in Japan on New Year’s Eve or a possible U.S. debut for Affliction in January, though he’s asking for a bout in the light heavyweight division.

At Dream’s middleweight grand prix finals on Sept. 23 in Tokyo, the 23-year-old kickboxer needed just 3:43 to submit Dutch nemesis Melvin Manhoef and knock out Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza, considered the world’s best jiu-jitsu player at 183 pounds. That was 3:43 combined, mind you.

After a quick seminar and his attendance at the seventh edition of the M-1 Challenge in England, the Iran-born Armenian’s feat is just now soaking in for him.

“I have only just realized what I have achieved,” the adopted Dutchman told Sherdog.com. “It’s nice to get some attention now after fighting in all those different organizations. In order to stay on top I will have to continue beating a lot of good fighters, so I have to stay focused and train hard. I am still very hungry, so that shouldn’t be a problem.”

Mousasi’s semifinal bout with countryman Manhoef was a battle for appreciation and respect. Choosing to train outside of the famous Dutch kickboxing gyms, Mousasi felt a lack of love and recognition from the fans there.

“Beating Melvin really felt good, because I had openly challenged him many times and obviously I didn't want to lose face,” he said. “I really wanted to prove to the Dutch fans that I am also one of the better mixed martial arts fighters out of Holland and there’s no better way to do that than beat a guy who is as loved and admired over here as Manhoef.”

With Kang, Manhoef and Jacare out of the way, the grand prix king has nearly cleaned out the Dream middleweight division. The obvious question arises: Who is left for him to fight in Japan?

“There are plenty of good middleweight fighters in Japan, but Akiyama is the only big name left in Dream that I haven’t fought yet,” he said. “Unfortunately for me, he is dead set on fighting [Hidehiko] Yoshida on New Year’s Eve and that leaves me on the outside looking in.”

As a result, Mousasi (24-2-1) said he and his team decided to move up a division the day after Dream 6.

“There is no reason to push me to the 185-pound limit anymore,” he said. “It just isn’t healthy for me to stay at middleweight. Instead I will let my body grow and get bigger and heavier.”

The “Young Vagabond” had plans to move up to the light heavyweight division all along. After an easy first-round TKO over Brazilian slugger Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos at the now defunct Canadian promotion Hardcore Championship Fighting in February, Mousasi was originally looking to fight Santos’ compatriot Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at an HCF show in late spring or early summer. That was when Dream came calling and invited him to join the tournament.

A rumored bout with former UFC standout Vitor Belfort is still a very real option for Affliction’s Jan. 24 return to the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Belfort, who recently dropped into the middleweight ranks himself, took out Terry Martin with an impressive second-round knockout at Affliction “Banned” last July.

“My manager has good contacts with Affliction and he said that there may be the possibility for me to fight Vitor in the United States,” said Mousasi. “I really want to fight for Affliction, but I still have a commitment with Dream, so I don’t know exactly which show I will be competing at next –- on New Year’s Eve in Japan for Dream or for Affliction in January.”

While he waits, Mousasi is back working the door of a Dutch nightclub part time. This is a fate he shares with 95 percent of all European fighters. Be it bouncer, firefighter or car mechanic, even world-ranked fighters like Mousasi have to look for side gigs to afford training.

“It’s really difficult to live on MMA alone, because the sport isn’t that big in Holland and we don't have the same sponsors that American fighters do,” explained Mousasi. “We also get paid in dollars at Dream and due to the current world economic situation, the dollar is worth much less than the Euro, which, pardon my language, really sucks too.”

During his three-month hiatus from the ring, Mousasi said he’ll try to expand his training horizons.

“I am going to Thailand soon to train with Fedor [Emelianenko],” he said. “He is playing in a movie there and I will also get a small role in it. My priority is to work on my standup game though.”

And despite his rising star in Japan, Mousasi will await word of his next bout in the peace and quiet of his hometown of Leiden in South Holland, where few people recognize him on the street. For now.

partijen op LHW tegen Lil Noqueira,Babalu of zelfs Tito Ortiz zou niet verkeerd zijn.

Fish
16-10-2008, 12:35
The “Young Vagabond” kende ik nog niet

nicolas the red
16-10-2008, 16:26
slechte bijnaam

Jochem
16-10-2008, 16:50
slechte bijnaam

yeah. Ronin was toch zijn bijnaam? Dit ivm zijn achternaam.

kooivechter
16-10-2008, 16:53
vind het jammer dat hij al nar 93 kilo klasse gaat. had hem graag nog in de ufc tot 84 kilo willen zien.

dirk5
16-10-2008, 16:58
ja hij zit tegen de 1,90 aan toch? Een klote partij draaien omdat je te veel moet cutten niemand op te wachten, en hij al helemaal niet.

Denk dat dit een goede beslissing is.

16-10-2008, 17:03
vind het jammer dat hij al nar 93 kilo klasse gaat. had hem graag nog in de ufc tot 84 kilo willen zien.

ja, dat zou zeker mooi zijn. maar naar de ufc op 205 is ook mooi.

kooivechter
16-10-2008, 19:15
ja hij zit tegen de 1,90 aan toch? Een klote partij draaien omdat je te veel moet cutten niemand op te wachten, en hij al helemaal niet.

Denk dat dit een goede beslissing is.

nee dat valt wel mee hij is 1,85/ 1.86. Hij is nog erg jong. pas 23. Het weight cutten is op die leeftijd nog zeker geen probleem. Daarnaast als we anderson silva moeten geloven, stopt hij ook in 2009. dus alle kansen voor gegard om kampioen te worden in die klasse. De ufc kan na het behalen van die titel sowieso niet om hem heen. Dan is hij de grootste mma kampioen die Nederland ooit heeft voortgebracht en staat hij in de schoenen van nogueira en fedor die ook kampioen van 2 hele grote organisaties zijn. Gegard ufc middelweight champion 2009/ 2010!!!!

dirk5
16-10-2008, 19:34
nee dat valt wel mee hij is 1,85/ 1.86. Hij is nog erg jong. pas 23. Het weight cutten is op die leeftijd nog zeker geen probleem. Daarnaast als we anderson silva moeten geloven, stopt hij ook in 2009. dus alle kansen voor gegard om kampioen te worden in die klasse. De ufc kan na het behalen van die titel sowieso niet om hem heen. Dan is hij de grootste mma kampioen die Nederland ooit heeft voortgebracht en staat hij in de schoenen van nogueira en fedor die ook kampioen van 2 hele grote organisaties zijn. Gegard ufc middelweight champion 2009/ 2010!!!!

is ie zo klein maar ja? kan me een foto van hem naast fedor herinneren waar ie groter lijkt dan Fedor, en ik dacht dat Fedor 1,88 was. Wel jammer dat Anderson wil gaan stoppen, Gegard lijkt me een goede matchup waartegen hij het eindelijk weer eens moeilijk kan krijgen. Maar ik teken ervoor Mousasi champ in Middel of Lightheavy 2009/2010.

(heerlijk hoe wij Nederlanders altijd zo geweldig chauvinistisch zijn)

kooivechter
16-10-2008, 19:55
is ie zo klein maar ja? kan me een foto van hem naast fedor herinneren waar ie groter lijkt dan Fedor, en ik dacht dat Fedor 1,88 was. Wel jammer dat Anderson wil gaan stoppen, Gegard lijkt me een goede matchup waartegen hij het eindelijk weer eens moeilijk kan krijgen. Maar ik teken ervoor Mousasi champ in Middel of Lightheavy 2009/2010.

(heerlijk hoe wij Nederlanders altijd zo geweldig chauvinistisch zijn)

nee fedor is 1.82 een stukkie kleiner dan mousasi. en idd lekker chauvinistisch veel mma kampioenen van dat kaliber hebben we eigenlijk niet in ons koude kikkerlandje, dus daarom mousasi ufc champ 2008/2009!!!!!!!!!!!