PDA

View Full Version : Interview Vitor Shaolin Ribiero

Jani
23-10-2008, 17:54
The name Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro is almost (or really is) synonymous with fighting, not because of his nick name, but for everything that the athlete represents inside the martial arts. Away from MMA since his fight with Gesias Cavalcante in the semifinal of HERO's 2007, Shaolin talked with the In the Guard crew directly from his new academy in New York.The fighter, with a new home, talks about his motives behind this migration for the North America, his complete recuperation from the lesion he suffered and the fight on 12/31 in K-1 Dynamite against possible opponents Caol Uno or Shinya Aoki. Read about it in the following…

ITG: Where did the idea to live in the US come from?

Vitor Ribeiro: I didn't decide to live here one day to the next. This was something that was in my plans for a long time, just got put off for a while because of the lesion I had. I always dreamt in trying to be half the professor that Andre Pederneiras was for me and I see a lot of potential in doing this here.

ITG: The city you are in now…What was your motive for choosing it?

VR: About choosing New York, I had the support of my friends and had a lot of work here getting started. I live in New Jersey but work in New York. I do it this way because it is very expensive to live in the city, even more so with a small child.

ITG: Have you got to thinking that you shouldn't have had that contusion you had after the semifinal of HERO's last year?

VR: The contusion made me a little angry, but nothing too much. I was able, being held back, to organize the apartment and the arrival of my kid.

ITG: The recuperation took a long time. What was the most difficult moment during this period?

VR: The most difficult moment was to see the people coming to fight and I wasn't there to help. I owe all of those people and also to see my family worried about me hurting so much.

ITG: The return to training is always a test fire. Can you tell us about this?

VR: I came back to train in Brazil because I'd fight Uno in April, and the come back was difficult because my musculature was debilitated. But in the technical part I feel really good, in a few weeks I was staying in the middle and surviving with the people (there). I only have to thank everyone there at the academy Upper, who where concerned about me, and a lot to Dede, who is a guy who goes above and beyond in relation of taking care of his students.

ITG: Life in the US is very agitated it's a reality. Not much time and a lot of work. How is your adaptation?

VR: My adaptation is good because I keep meeting people every day and pass the biggest part of my time in a place I know well, which is the mat.

ITG: You had a lot of training partners in Brazil. What do you do to maintain this level in the US?

VR: Thank God I made good friends building my career and with this I am able to have open doors in good places to train. I found another place to train Wrestling (NYAC) and for the Boxing I am going to an academy in Brooklyn.

ITG: Who is coordinating the academy with you and what can you tell us about your routine of classes and training?

VR: I have an excellent manager and have a lawyer who is orientating me in the beginning. I have been giving all of the classes only separated from Tuesday and Thursdays to train more and rest and on the other days I train on the intervals of the classes. Visit my site because I have all schedule there. Only I don't give class during lunch.

ITG: The return to MMA should be in December? How are the negotiations?

VR: It is almost all good. Just missing a signed opponent and it should be in the K-1 Dynamite.

ITG: Do you have any desire to fight with anyone in particular?

VR: I would like very much to fight with Shinya Aoki, but if the line to fight him is very long I would like to get Caol Uno because I was supposed to fight him in April and it ended up not happening.

ITG: You topped the list with the experience of Caol Uno and the elasticity and courage of Aoki. Those are two distinct tests against Japanese fighters, but in your head what would be the best return (not easier, a real test) after a year away?

VR: In my head it would be Aoki for being their favorite today, for sure a victory over him would put me in a very good scene. Uno compliments me more by the history that he has in Japanese MMA, but for sure those two would be very tough adversaries.

ITG: Many fans have commented that they would like to see you against Aoki, but at the same time mention that on the ground your black belt speaks louder. Do you agree with the fans that Aoki can take on an accomplished black belt and still come out good?

VR: I think that Aoki can take on any black belt and do it beautifully because of his relaxed demeanor when fighting it's what impresses the adversaries, creating a certain fear. In relation to my black belt I think that I am very confident in myself, not in my belt, for this I think that it could be a good fight. I accept the ground in a way that he never saw anyone accepting and we will see if I can do it.

ITG: What analysis have you made of the Dream Lightweight GP?

VR: Eddie Alvarez was always a really tough guy, playing at 155 lb he is even tougher. About Joachim Hansen's victory, I was happy because he silenced the critics that he wasn't the same any more. The fans have to understand that problems happen and that our fighters are common people because sometimes they are good and sometimes not.

ITG: Do you still want to fight Andre Amade because of his declarations last year?

VR: Yes I would like to fight him, not because I am mad but because I think it would be a good fight and because I respect him as a fighter.

ITG: Shaolin, with the American market very strong and you living in the USA does a possibility exist of you going back to fight in American events?

VR: There always exists a possibility but I still have fights to complete in K-1, this is until the middle of next year. I can only fight with the permission of K1.

ITG: Do you think that your permanence in the USA will help to spread the word about more events like K-1 and Dream in America?

VR: To help I should be fighting, I think that after I get back to fighting in K-1, it should be on some TV or cable here. It has a very strong name just missing getting on good TV here.

ITG: Your commitment signed is through 12/31 and for 2009 what are your plans and how is your head in relation to going after the time lost in recuperation?

VR: I have a desire to fight 3-4 times a year and focus a lot on my academy.

ITG: There are three distinct things with the same objective to ask you.
Here are the messages:

- First a message for your fans who never stopped believing in you.
VR: I would like to thank, very much, these people. Out of them, who when I lost, when I had my surgery and when I was angry because I was not training, those who said some really cool things to me and showed another side of people who generally write on the forums.
It's because of these people that it is worth losing 10 kilos and sometimes getting hurt. Thank you very much.

- Second, a message for those people who go through situations similar to yours.
VR: For sure the first thing when someone passes through a difficult situation you need to count on your family because it was my family that gave me the most support. Try not to shut out the World because the World is not at fault for you hurting yourself. Never shut out your friends because they supp ort you with words of love. Many things in life have an answer, others do not. Accept the fact of what you hear, it may or may not have an explanation.

- Third, a message for those who doubted your return and for your future adversaries. VR: For those who doubted me, I just want to say that you have to get to know me better. Those who know me well know that I never stop.
Adversaries? Good health to all of them.

Echt een van me favorieten graplers in mma,en ik kijk zeker uit naar zijn partij met Aoki.

highlight Shaolin
YouTube - Vitor Shaolin HL (http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=KlWAjvbHjEs&feature=related)