PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Lawler comments on possible UFC return and fighting future

Tony
28-10-2008, 09:20
http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/robbielawler.jpg

Robbie Lawler — the last man to hold the Elite XC middleweight crown — is among several talented mixed martial artists now out of work and looking to land a new deal because of the promotion’s recent collapse.

There’s a big difference, however, between “Ruthless” and most of his former stablemates — he and his management have a very good relationship with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). In fact, the 26-year-old from Granite City, Illinois, is a seven-fight Octagon veteran, racking up a decent record (4-3) while competing in the welterweight division.

That means that Lawler could one day soon find his way back to the land of milk and honey provided that his contract with Elite XC does not get mired in a legal abyss and keep him on the sidelines for an extended period of time.

Regardless, it’s certainly an opportunity that he welcomes.

Lawler was in Rosemont this weekend sitting ringside with friend, training/business partner and former 170-pound champion, Matt Hughes, soaking in UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote.” He even used his time at the show to squeeze in some time with White.

Here’s a snip from his official Web site:

“As everyone knows Elite XC is no longer around. I enjoyed my time working for them and I was treated really well. Thank you to everyone at Proelite for the opportunity to fight in front of millions of fans. Last week I spent at the UFC with Matt Hughes. The atmosphere was awesome as usual. I spent time talking to Monte Cox about what my options are. I also had a brief conversation with the very busy prez of the UFC. All that said I think I will be just fine. I will blog when i sign with an organization. Until then I will keep my self in good shape.”

Since his initial stint with the UFC, which ended in 2004, Lawler has beefed up and competed as a middleweight where he has enjoyed great success. He has lost just once in nine attempts, winning the Elite XC and Icon Sport 185-pound titles along the way.

Lawler was scheduled to defend his Elite XC strap against Joey Villasenor at “A Night of Champions” on November 8 before the promotion went under. There’s no telling when he might return to action, but it appears that he will be ready to rock when given the green light.

Stay glued to MMAmania.com for more details on this developing story.