PDA

View Full Version : Paulo Filho Interview

Jani
28-10-2008, 21:29
The WEC middleweight champion is ready to go back to the octagon and defend his belt against Chael Sonnen. After submitting the same opponent in a polemic fight, Filho will be back in action at November 5th, and is ready to win again. In an exclusive interview to TATAME.com, the undefeated middleweight fighter spoke about the training, the postponed event, the possibility to fight in UFC and commented Anderson Silva’s fight against Cote, at UFC 90. Check below the complete interview.

How’s the training to the second fight against Sonnen?

It’s great. I’m making weight with no suffering and doing the specific technical training for him, the type of game he likes, ground n’ pound. After we do the preparation and we had some problems like it happened, the event being postponed, we kind of lose the rhythm and needs to start all over again. I tried to continue with my weight, 91kg, and now I’m doing the technical part and training for the situations I know will happen in the fight.

How was WEC’s postponement bad for you?

I believe it was worse for him than to me. I was ready, and the athlete in general has his best performance twice a year, and we chose these moments to important competitions, and that’s what happened. E trained a lot for the first fight and I couldn’t make it, had those problems, and now the hurricane postponed it again and I’m back in my perfect mental condition.

Dana White said he’s going to merge some WE fighters to UFC… Did someone spoke with you about it?

Yes, superficially, but I still don’t have anything concrete and I’m very happy with WEC. I like what I make there, I’m well paid, the event is great and I’m well recognized in America, maybe it’s better than UFC to be well-known, but I think UFC is the dream of every fighter. I fought in Pride and now I wanna be at UFC so that I could say one day that I fought at the best MMA events of the world.

How do you think would be the UFC middleweight division with you and Anderson Silva?

I think Anderson is doing the right thing. He always praises me, wants the best for me, and said we wouldn’t fight me, he’s the best, and I don’t wanna fight him too. I think he’ll go up (to light-heavyweight) and until then I’ll go there and when I get closer to the title, he’d be already retired. He already done a lot for the sport, and we they have a lot of great athletes there and I can’t let this opportunity go away, it’ll be a better motivation, show the Paulão from the Pride GP. The problem in this depression moment was motivation, it was a very complicated moment, but now things are better and I can show my best game.

What do you think about Anderson’s fight with Cote?

In fact I didn’t watched it yet, but (Josuel) Distak told me that he kind of preserved himself. He’s a lot better technically than Cote, he did a game preserving himself to fight again in December. He might face Chuck Liddell, and he needs to get there well, but that’s what I think will happen. They told me we’d do a tough fight, so I think it’s gonna be Liddell. They’re both great strikers and it’d be a huge fight. UFC has the tougher athletes and he’s dominating it, so I think they won’t rest until they take him from there, but they can try, try, but they won’t make it. Anderson is with a great rhythm, understood his own game, has a surprising ground game… I think he can complicate everyone’s life in the octagon. Middleweight division has tougher athletes than light-heavyweight, the move better and has more technique, so Anderson can go up and beat everybody.

How do you think would be a fight between Anderson and Chuck?

Liddell is a slow fighter. He moves well, but he’s slow, and I believe Anderson will dance in front of him, connect some punches… Anderson would win that for sure.

blijft een top vechter die Filho,en hij hoort gewoon in de UFC !!
YouTube - The baddest middleweight on the planet, Paulo Filho (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHj1m27tido&feature=related)

marcelt
28-10-2008, 21:41
Fijn filmpje. Pride style. Veel afwisseling. Wel lekkere muziek ook van soulcrusher.