PDA

View Full Version : UFC drops Jon Fitch !!!

Jani
20-11-2008, 10:06
Shockwaves were sent through the world of mixed martial arts on Wednesday night with the news that top welterweight fighter Jon Fitch had been dropped from the Ultimate Fighting Championship following a contract dispute.

Just hours after learning of his release, Jon Fitch spoke exclusively to MMAWeekly.com about the situation that led to the events that have now made him a free agent.

"This is like over the course of two days, three days," Fitch explained about the release. "It had to do with Dana (White) calling my managers and immediately saying, 'we need to get him to sign this contract' and 'it's a big favor to me.' Then we asked him, 'Why do you need this contract signed?'

"Then we finally asked, after reading through the contract, why can't we negotiate for different terms? Because it asked me for a lifetime contract for the video games, so they would have exclusive rights to use our likeness for these video games and we couldn't go and do any other video games ever again in our lifetime."

Before anything was decided, Fitch says his managers tried to re-negotiate a different deal from the lifetime contract, but an ultimatum was soon made.

"So basically we said we weren't cool with that deal and why can't we do it for five or 10 years? Why does it have to be a lifetime deal? Their next response was, 'either you guys are in or you're out' and 'sign this or you're going to get dropped from the UFC,'" said Fitch. "So we hear that and we didn't even think they were serious. Why would you want to release fighters at our level over something like that? Doesn't make any sense.

"Within two phone calls, it got to 'sign this or you guys are out.'"

The American Kickboxing Academy welterweight standout explained that the situation for the urgency of the contract from the UFC might have stemmed from another company, EA Sports, putting out an MMA video game of its own. Apparently the UFC had promised all of its fighters exclusively to THQ, the makers of the upcoming UFC Undisputed 2009 game scheduled for release in spring of 2009.

"We were already promised to THQ by the UFC, even though none of us were under contract (for that), in order to save face, they had to force us to sign this thing," he explained.

He also states that the new video game contract was partially due to the fact that competitors in the UFC were originally given a "merchandising" contract that was shot down after many fighters did not want to sign that either.

"It started with the merchandising agreement," Fitch stated. "The original merchandising agreement they sent out, it encompassed all avenues of all this stuff and everything that falls under merchandise, and they wanted to force us to sign that a while ago. (They wanted) all the guys in the UFC to sign these contracts blindly that gave them all of our rights, image, everything that they could find anyway to market or sell us."

The Indiana born fighter went on to talk about his confusion following a tenure with the UFC that included nine fights, eight of which were wins, and a hard fought five-round decision loss to Georges St. Pierre that has garnered talk for "Fight of the Year."

"This is seriously how they're trying to treat fighters? Especially me? " Fitch questioned. "I've never complained about them. I've always done my best for the UFC in a positive way. I've fought my ass off. I'm arguably the second best welterweight in the world. Yet they are still willing to release me, especially after my last fight?

"Just because I lost, it sure as hell wasn't because of lack of effort or poor performance."

The day started with Fitch confirming his next fight in January against Akihiro Gono, but just as quickly, he received a rescinded contract from the UFC for the bout agreement, and shortly thereafter, a voided promotional contract effectively releasing him from his fight contract.

"We got the bout agreement returned today and then later tonight they released me from my promotional contract. So at the moment, I'm no longer with the UFC. I'm unattached right now," Fitch commented.

While the deal to sign a lifetime contract didn't necessarily appeal to Fitch, he says it was the manner of which the deal was brought to the table that ultimately angered him the most.

"Honestly the contract wasn't even that big of a deal," he said. "We're not getting paid for it anyways, and it's not a deal where I'm actually going to get another deal with a video game agency. I don't have that kind of pull, most guys don't. It has nothing to do with that. It's that they brought this contract to us and basically kicked in our front door, came in guns blazing, and said 'sign this contract or you're dead.'"

Regardless of the contract situation, Fitch feels the mistreatment is simply unacceptable and he is willing to move on if that's what has to happen.

"I am the UFC's bastard son," Fitch said adamantly. "I mean, from the get go. I don't even know how better to explain it. They didn't have any regard or care for me whatsoever. There's nothing more I want than to be the UFC champ, but something like this and they're going to throw me away?

"I also have confidence in the fact that I'm one of the best fighters in the world. I'm going to find a home, and I'm going to find a way to make money no matter what the deal is. I will not be treated and talked to like a dog."

A fighter with the talent of Jon Fitch will likely be snatched up by another promotion very soon, but still he is just shocked at the way everything happened.

"It's not like I've been bad mouthing them or doing anything negative toward the UFC at all. All I've done is go out there and fight my ass off. I'm at a loss. I don't even know what to think right now. I'm still kind of in shock."

RayOmac
20-11-2008, 10:13
Dat vind ik best jammer, tegen GSP vond ik hem best aardig.

Tsuki
20-11-2008, 10:19
echt jammer , goede vechter .....................

Tony
20-11-2008, 10:21
goeiedag zeg...

UFC : Credits -1

Waardeloze aktie weer..

Komt er dus op neer dat EA-Games ook een MMA game wilt maken.. om er dus voor te zorgen dat Fitch nooit met hun in zee zal gaan moet ie zich dus lifetime vastklampen aan ufc... en anders zou ie eruit liggen..

mooie manier van onderhandelen.. Hoop dat Fitch snel een beter baasje zal vinden... Want dat verdiend ie absoluut...

YoMarK
20-11-2008, 10:28
Geweldige actie weer. :)

Jani
20-11-2008, 10:34
ook voor Fitch zijn teamgenoten ,Koscheck en Velasquez kan het slecht gaan uitpakken

stukje van sherdog:

Christian Wellisch, an AKA teammate of Fitch, was also released on Wednesday, said Fitch. Wellisch had also received an agreement for a pending bout that was later retracted.

“They cut him from the organization first, I think as kind of a scare for me and Josh Koscheck and Cain Velasquez ” said Fitch. “I guess Cain Velasquez wouldn’t sign under his contract and they we’re saying that after his fight he was done and they weren’t going to re-up his contract. I think the same thing goes for Koscheck. I think they would drop him right now too, if he wasn’t fighting on the 10th, if he wasn’t headlining that show –- so they can’t drop him.”

dana white's reactie:

In an interview with Yahoo Sports on Wednesday, White said the UFC would no longer do business with the American Kickboxing Academy, Fitch’s San Jose-based fight team.

“We’re looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I’m just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it’s not even funny,” White told Yahoo Sports. “Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let Fitch go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren’t partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them.”

Tsuki
20-11-2008, 10:48
hahahahaahah DANA rulez ................... and [expletive] everyone who thinks otherwise

Tony
20-11-2008, 10:48
waardeloze aktie...

Fitch is een topper, Koscheck is een topper... En Velasquez is ook een topper...

doe je goed Dana... 3 op een rij..

Fasada
20-11-2008, 10:55
Dana White heeft veel betekent voor MMA en heeft een duidelijke visie. Wel denk ik dat zij hun te veel laten leiden door emoties. Je ziet duidelijk welke vechters goed met Dana omgaan en niet...

Het blijft dus gevaarlijk om zaken te doen met hem omdat hij zijn macht gebruikt wanneer het hem uitkomt. Ik wil hiermee niet zeggen dat hij hierdoor slecht is maar hij kan persoonlijk worden bij onderhandelingen en je zo aan de kant schuiven voor iets onbenulligs.

Jon Fitch is een titelcontender en vind het vreemd dat het op deze manier moet gebeuren. Heb het verhaal van Dana nog niet gehoord maar kan mij niet voorstellen dat het verhaal heel anders is. Of je gaat met de UFC in zee of je kan oprotten, vandaar dat ik hoop dat organisaties als Afflication en Dream blijven bestaan want wanneer UFC alleenrecht heeft gaan zij nog gekkere dingen eisen en verwachten.

Biiyen
20-11-2008, 10:58
Damn, wat een loser actie van Dana zeg. Volgens mij heeft hij gewoon zijn ziel aan de duivel verkocht. Wat een asshole.

Tony
20-11-2008, 10:58
Jani postte zojuist Dana White's reactie:

In an interview with Yahoo Sports on Wednesday, White said the UFC would no longer do business with the American Kickboxing Academy, Fitch’s San Jose-based fight team.

“We’re looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I’m just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it’s not even funny,” White told Yahoo Sports. “Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let Fitch go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren’t partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them.”

YoMarK
20-11-2008, 11:16
American Kickboxing Academy, dat zijn dus sowieso ook Josh Koscheck, Cain Velasquez en Mike Swick. :blush:

Tony
20-11-2008, 11:19
Verrek ja.. Mike Swick.. Die hoort er ook nog eens bij... Net als Christian Wellisch en Josh thompson.

Ralph
20-11-2008, 11:36
Maffe actie zeg! Lijkt er erg op dat hier zaken gedaan vanuit de onderbuik.... beetje jammer.

Hiro
20-11-2008, 11:47
Mike Swick heeft als enige van AKA wel getekend. Lekker solidair met zn teamgenoten!
Verder is dit natuurlijk een hele slechte zet van Dana. Ik denk dat Jon Fitch uiteindelijk wel had getekend als er door Dana niet zo agressief werd onderhandeld. Erg riskant van Fitch om zn carriere op het spel te zetten om een videogame. Hoop dat ie aan de bak kan in Affliction of Dream.

Tony
20-11-2008, 11:50
Dat is ook wat Fitch zegt... Het hele contract kon hem geen reet schelen...

Het ging erop dat ze de ufc zich binnen 5 minuten opstelde als: "Je MOET dit nu tekenen of je ligt eruit".

toen had fitch zoiets van "Ja zoek maar een andere hond"...

fitch heeft tenminste nog een gevoel van eigenwaarde.. Of dit zakelijk slim is of niet.. Hij kan zich wel recht in de spiegel kijken zonder een slecht gevoel te krijgen.

Emilio
20-11-2008, 11:52
naja iig goed nieuws dat er ook een mma-game van EA aankomt.

verder beetje domme actie. Beter was geweest om er idd een contract voor een aantal jaar aan te verbinden.

Il Loco
20-11-2008, 12:34
En alweer een topper richting Affliction..

Dana zeikt ze overal waar hij maar kan af, maar zorgt er ondertussen wel voor dat hun stal met toppers blijft groeien.. Beetje dom!

"1Up is reporting that EA Sports has been tossing around the idea of creating a Mixed Martial Arts video game to go up against THQ’s forthcoming UFC video game that will be announced during the UFC 84 Pay-Per-View."

“The Q also says megapublisher EA is looking to release a mixed martial arts game soon. Makes sense — new EA Sports head honcho Peter Moore has been talking about exploring new sports. Still, it makes us wonder what fight leagues will appear in the game considering THQ owns the rights to Ultimate Fighting Championship.”

123trisweat
20-11-2008, 12:56
wordt tijd dat de vechters een goede vakbond oprichten of in ieder geval even praten met wat voetballers/basketballers als het gaat om merchandise.
Want een lifetime contract (op je naam, beeld etc) lijkt me niet echt een slimme zet (sterk afh. van de voorwaarden natuurlijk, maar toch je eigen naam of beeltenis niet mogen beheren :()

The Bulldog
20-11-2008, 13:00
fuck the fucker....

Niet te geloven....

Zo`n top vechter , ach eigenlijk verdiend geen enkele knokker zo behandeld te worden...

zal het nou zo zijn dat een HEaring,nog , lesnar, gsp,bj enz allemaal wel zo`n life time contract hebben getekend?

deamn...is klote als ze een keer gedumpd worden door de ufc...kunnen ze nooit zaken doen met EA...

schurem
20-11-2008, 15:44
niet dat EA zo'n lekkere toko is, maar wtf lifetime contracts.. alsof die namen over tien jaar nog wat waard zijn, alsof videogames zoals we ze nu kennen over dertig jaar nog bestaan. waarom neemt dana geen genoegen met een 5 of 10 jaar contract? stelletje principiele heethoofden als je het mij vraagt.

Slome
20-11-2008, 15:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7w-PqUtA74