PDA

View Full Version : Don’t call it a comeback: An interview with Mark “The Hammer” Coleman

Tony
07-01-2009, 12:53
http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/markcoleman-ex.jpg

We caught up with Coleman right before he jetted over to the birthplace of Guinness to ask him his thoughts on the fight, how important a win is at this stage in his career, and if he thinks “Shogun” is overrated.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): You were supposed to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 87 but had to pull out with an injury. Is that a missed opportunity you would have liked to have - a shot at Lesnar when he’s green?
Mark Coleman: Yeah, any time you miss a fight of that magnitude, it’s a huge missed opportunity - especially at my age. It was very disappointing. It would have been one hell of a challenge, but something I was definitely looking forward to.
I’m not going to complain. I’ve been pretty lucky throughout my career. Injuries happen, and that’s just the way it went.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Were you surprised that Lesnar went on to beat Randy Couture for the Heavyweight strap?
Mark Coleman: No, not really. I’ve always said that size does matter, and that’s one very big guy. I anticipated Randy having a lot of problems with him.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): You’re set to fight Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 93 in Dublin. Do you look forward to fighting overseas in Ireland?
Mark Coleman: I’ve been fighting overseas for the last eight years, but yeah, I’m just excited to be fighting. I’ve never been to Ireland, so I think that could be pretty neat to go over there. I know they got some great fight fans over in Ireland.
I would prefer to fight in the United States, but I don’t pick or choose where I fight or when I fight. I’m just excited to be fighting, and I think it’ll be a great fight. They’re known to have great fight fans over there, so it should be a special night.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): This is your first fight since being inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame. Is there any added pressure to come out on top?
Mark Coleman: I remember Quinton Jackson telling me about coming back to the UFC, and mentioning the pressure of fighting for the UFC. I’m definitely feeling the same way. It’s huge fighting back here in America, and where the UFC exploded so big. I’m trying to keep my emotions in check and trying to keep myself mentally strong.
I definitely feel the pressure, and I’m going to have to deal with it. But then, that’s what I’ve been doing all my life is facing pressure, so I’ll have to handle it, and I expect to.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): This fight is a rematch from PRIDE 31, where you obviously got the TKO victory, and Rua got the elbow injury. Does that make this fight mean anything more to you, the fact that there’s a history there, some unfinished business?
Mark Coleman: No, I think because we’ve already fought once, and “Shogun” has decided to make the fight personal, and everything involved in the whole situation definitely makes it a little more important to me. It’s not personal to me … Well, because he’s made it personal, I’ve had to make it personal. But really, he’s just another opponent - a very good one at that. But I just need to win this fight to keep my career going.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): I read that you’d like to keep it standing, if possible. Is that true?
Mark Coleman: Well we’ll see what happens. I’ve been planning on keeping a fight standing for a long time. It’s just once a fight starts, it seems that my wrestling instincts just take over. But I have been working on my standup, and I wouldn’t mind trying to trade with him - especially for the fans. I’m sure they’d like to see us trade.
But if it ain’t going so well on our feet, certainly my bread and butter is going to be taking him to the ground and trying to ground and pound him. But I would like to try to stay on my feet, yeah.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Should you want to take him down, do you think you’ll be able to at will?
Mark Coleman: If I decide to take him down, I’ll take him down.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Strength-wise, I’ve heard you mention that you feel you definitely have the strength advantage on him. Can you comment a bit on that?
Mark Coleman: Well, I did last time, that’s for sure. Hopefully cutting down to 205 doesn’t take away too much of my strength. So far, I still feel pretty good. Actually the weight’s coming off a little easier than I thought. I do anticipate having the advantage in the strength area, which is important, because that’s one area that I do have an advantage over him.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Did you bring in a nutritionist or anything like that to help you make weight?
Mark Coleman: No, I’ve been reading about nutrition all my life. Basically, back when I fought at heavyweight back in the day in the UFC, I really wasn’t following a strict diet because I needed to be big. I needed to be heavy, so I really didn’t eat that clean. But I was carrying around way too much extra fat and extra muscle.
Phil Baroni is the one that kinda convinced me that I … he basically said I eat like a pig. At first we had a nice little argument, but I went home that night and absorbed what he was telling me and realized he was right. So after having a talk with him, I changed to eating completely clean, and the fat came off, and I feel like I’m a better athlete because of it.
It’s really not that scientific, dieting. To me it’s pretty simple knowing what you should be eating and what you shouldn’t be eating. A lot of it is common sense.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): Before he came to the UFC and lost to Forrest Griffin, some had called Rua the best light heavyweight on the planet. Do you think he was overrated?
Mark Coleman: Well he had a heck of a run over there in Japan. He beat some good guys and performed very well. So maybe at the time he deserved that ranking. But in this sport your ranking can slip very quickly. Injuries and other aspects of your life - you know, fighters do have lives - and maybe some other things became more important to “Shogun,” and you add the injuries in there, it’ll take its toll on anybody.
So I think he’s a great fighter, but to be the best, sometimes things have to go your way, and I think lately he’s had a little bit of bad luck on his side.
Adam Wagner (MMAmania.com): As a fan I’d like to say welcome back, and good luck on January 17. Would you like to thank any sponsors or do you have any parting words for your fans about what they can expect to see at UFC 93?
Mark Coleman: I definitely need to thank CageFighter (http://www.cagefightermma.com/), MMAAuthentics (http://www.mmaauthentics.com/) and MMAElite (http://www.mmaeliteapparel.com/). Without those guys, this comeback probably would have been much more difficult. They’ve helped me stay in the game financially and given me the ability to train for this fight. So I have to thank them big time.
Also, I’d like to thank my Aunt Mary and my late Uncle Ray, who have been helping me out my whole career when I ran into some troubles. And thanks to my mother and father and my kids. I want to thank my team, Team Hammer House, for all their moral support and their support in the training camp.
And most importantly, I’d like to thank the fans because they just really have been so kind and so supportive of me, and I really do appreciate it. I always have fought for the fans, and I always will.

chief108
07-01-2009, 13:03
it's a comeback

that won't last long

marcelt
07-01-2009, 13:34
Ik heb ook het gevoel dat het wel een beetje klaar is voor Coleman. Hij staat niet voor niets al in het museum ;)

Tony
07-01-2009, 13:48
Ik weet niet waarom... maar ik knal de vcash op coleman...

Justinian
07-01-2009, 14:09
Ik weet niet waarom... maar ik knal de vcash op coleman...
Yep, ik ook.

Ralph
07-01-2009, 14:36
Zet mijn naam daar ook maar bij! Sinds ik hem in Ahoy live aan het werk heb gezien tegen Milco Voorn, ben ik wel fan :).

War Coleman!

Tony
07-01-2009, 14:37
Ok.. Wie van de mods knalt effe een Polletje hierin:

Wie zal winnen?
Coleman
Shogun

Il Loco
07-01-2009, 14:47
Het lastige aan deze partij vind ik het volgende;

Beiden hebben nu een poos niks meer gedaan, dus het is bijna onmogelijk te zeggen waar ze staan. Ze hebben allebei de kwaliteiten. Maar is Shogun weer hellemaal de oude? Is Coleman niet te oud? Het zijn vragen waar nu nog geen antwoord op gegeven kan worden omdat we weinig recent materiaal hebben om op terug te kijken en hun tegenwoordige kwaliteiten te beoordelen..

Als Shogun zo is hoe hij was toen hij tegenover Griffin stond, en Coleman heeft de tol van zijn leeftijd nog niet betaald, dan pakt Coleman hem.

Maar neemt de leeftijd zijn tol, en heeft Shogun nieuwe energie en inspiratie opgedaan en traint hij wellicht als een tierelier, dan zal Shogun hem pakken.

Hard to tell..

Mr 1 Leg
07-01-2009, 14:56
ik weet het niet mark is een beest en shogun ook maar ik denk dat het een top partij wordt ben benieuwd

marcelt
11-01-2009, 01:06
Coleman 44 jaar. Twee jaar niet gevochten. Shogun is 27 jaar. Ik denk Shogun !

PD_EC
11-01-2009, 02:23
Coleman vs Shogun/Wand (Tag team) wordt een lastige pot voor Coleman maar denk dat coleman de winst pakt

dirk5
11-01-2009, 06:12
dude, you are going to get creamed...

Mr 1 Leg
11-01-2009, 10:48
ik ga voor shogun. ik denk dat mark het niet zal halen tegen shogun.

El Bambino
11-01-2009, 11:29
Deze partij gaat maximal een Ronde duren, ik denk zelf dat Shogun binnen 2 min klaar is met Coleman!

Tony Galento
11-01-2009, 12:32
Coleman.

Met een beetje mazzel breekt ie nu z'n andere arm.

Hoek
11-01-2009, 14:55
Coleman houdt het staande, gaat hem niet goed af, takedown, scramble, Shogun wint op leglock

Mule-Kick
11-01-2009, 22:27
Moeilijk deze.. Ik gun het ze beide wel. Coleman vooral omdat het waarschijnlijk een van zn laatste partijen zal zijn. Ik denk en hoop nog altijd dat Shogun een titel-contender kan worden in de UFC maar dan moet hij deze natuurlijk wel winnen.

De man van 14K
11-01-2009, 23:06
Coleman.

Met een beetje mazzel breekt ie nu z'n andere arm.

heh.. ik denk dat die coleman helemaal lens geslagen wordt..
Hij is een tweede Ken Shamrock aan het worden

De man van 14K
11-01-2009, 23:09
Als je Crocop voor Shogun in ruilt kan de rest van dit plaatje hetzelfde eruit zien

http://www.mmatko.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/cop-cole.jpg

De man van 14K
11-01-2009, 23:11
http://i28.tinypic.com/6pxkx2.jpg

woehoee