PDA

View Full Version : Short interview (2) with Jessie Gibbs

cholitzu
11-01-2009, 21:17
Interview Jessie Gibbs before leaving to fight at M-1 in Seatlle, USA.

- Patrick: JESSIE WAZZ UP?? How is life?

- JESSIE GIBBS: I'm Fine. Things are going well as far as my fights are concerned. Training is fine too.

- Patrick : Think most of M-1 fans will know you by now, after you winning all of the 5 matches in the M-1 Challenge.
So I think it's time to let them know who you are, and how you find your way to mma.
How did you get in touch with fightsport in general?
What kind of sports did you do before MMA?
And why did you choose MMA

- JESSIE GIBBS:
HOw i found my way? I always been active in the martial arts since i was a little kid
I did a lot of things. Started out with judo. Then followed tae kwon do and kickboxing
then came kyokushin karate, with that i stayes for about 10 years.. about 6 years ago i started
training BJJ and stopped karate. But after a while i missed the full contact aspect that BJJ doesn't offer,
so i tried an MMA fight that my trainer back then arranged. I won and i liked it alot! With my kyokushin background and
the BJJ i learned i really like fighting MMA. In a way fighting MMA is much easier than kyokushin
or kickboxing, because of the different kind of thing you are allowed to do. FOr instance if you are not
that good in boxing you don't have to , you can win by submitting somebody. So you are more free to choose
the way you fight in MMA. You can be much more creative in your strategy or techniques

- Patrick : You where supposed to fight baby fedor in seatlle, why is this cancelled, and who is you next oponent?

- JESSIE GIBBS:
I don't know exactly. I wouldn't mind fighting him. I won all my fights so far in the Challenge, and all of my wins came
in the first round. I think he lost 1 or 2 fights in the Challenge. But we'll touch gloves another day i'm sure.
Next opponent is Alexey 'something', no disrespect intended but i don't know him. I hear he's a good wrestler
so i'm looking forward to fighting him.

- Patrick : What's youre training schedule, how many times a week do you train? And what dicsipline do you train in particular?

- JESSIE GIBBS: Normally i train 6 x a week. but lately i dropped the amount a little, dont'ask me why o.k.
Train kickboxing about 2 to 3 times. and BJJ 3 to 4 times. And we mix it up on saturday when we train together with
gegard mousasi. That guy and the other guys over there keep me sharp and focussed. I have to! because they are very good
We are still learing from eachother and making progress

- Patrick : Did you make any changes in you training because of the next fight?

- JESSIE GIBBS: NO , not at all. It's kind of difficult to prepare for a fight around these days. I fight on 2nd day of Christmas for
crying out loud. haha.. But i prepare well enough

- Patrick :Jessie, your last opponent was the russian guy whom you submitted by a side choke or armtriangle within 1:30 sec. first round. a very quick fight.
What do you have to say about this fight?

- JESSIE GIBBS: I can say it was an easy fight for me. Made the right moves and had the right timing. What can i say?
He is a good fighter tough, because i later heard that he had several MMA titles in his pocket.
So once again happy that i won. I like challenges and to see where i stand. SO far i only lost 1 time
and that came in my 3rd of 4th fight against Alexander Emeilianenko ..It was too soon to fight someone like that.
alltough i did well against him. But since then i won 6 fights, gained experience, much more confident, i feel i can take
on any fighter right now.

- Patrick : Last time we talked about whom you would like to fight of our dutch mma heavyweights, did anybody stand up to take the challenge?

- JESSIE GIBBS: NO nobody.. there just aren't too many heavyweight MMA fighters around in Holland. So i'm happy that i am fighting internationally now

- Patrick : Your last fights where outside of Holland, is it so difficult to find a dutch heavyweight willing to fight on dutch soil?

- JESSIE GIBBS: Don't know if there are. But offcourse i am not willing to fight in a club somewhere against the clubowner or something.
I think i showed that i am capable of fighting and beating top level guys

- Patrick : Stefan Struve is doing well these days, he signed a contract with UFC, do you think there is any possabilty to see you fight
Stefan in Holland, and if so how would this match looks like.

- JESSIE GIBBS: Stefan is a friend of mine. We met when we both had fights in Canada. I wouldn't mind fighting him though..and i think he wouldn't mind either
We would still be friends, but make a good fight

- Patrick :Thanks Jessie and Good luck in Seatlle, and kick ass, as usual:)

Congradulations with your award of most outstanding fighter of the year...