PDA

View Full Version : Evans Expects Machida at UFC 98

Il Loco
10-03-2009, 13:14
Despite every assurance made during Saturday night’s UFC 96 pay-per-view broadcast, UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Rashad-Evans-10200) doesn’t believe Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Quinton-Jackson-348) will be standing across the Octagon to face him at UFC 98 on May 23.

“As I learned, ‘Rampage’ might need time off,” Evans told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Monday (http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Beatdown-Rashad-Evans-945). “It’ll probably be Lyoto Machida (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Lyoto-Machida-7513), but I haven’t gotten a confirmation on that.”

Jackson, who earned a hard-fought decision over Evans’ teammate Keith Jardine (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Keith-Jardine-2638) in the main event on Saturday, told reporters afterward that he needed time to evaluate the May title bout offered to him that night before he’d give his answer.

The 30-year old Memphis, Tenn., native lost the belt to Forrest Griffin (http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Forrest-Griffin-3526) at UFC 86 last July. Evans then took it from Griffin at UFC 92 in December.

Tensions rose on Saturday night when Evans (13-0-1) entered the cage to trade barbs with Jackson seconds after his victory. Evans said he knew then that Jackson (30-7) might not be up to snuff for a May encounter.

“I don’t know. I’ve just got that feeling,” said Evans. “Just listening to him when we were in the ring talking he was kind of like, ‘Yeah man you’re lucky I wasn’t 100 percent’ and he started making excuses and I was thinking like it sounds like an excuse-fest is about to happen, so I know he ain’t going to take no fight with me. He’s making excuses now.”

Evans was actually surprised the standoff became as heated as fast as it did.

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/fighter/20090130084153_lyotomachida.JPG
(http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Lyoto-Machida-7513)Photo by Sherdog.com

Rashad Evans now expects
to meet Lyoto Machida.

“I didn’t expect any of that, man,” said Evans. “I was just going to do the face-off and what not but then he started talking trash. I wasn’t even in the mood to play or joke around, I just saw one of my best friends lose a fight which I had him winning until the last 10 seconds. I see the hurt in [Jardine’s] eyes and he’s so upset and he’s disappointed and I feel, like, bad for him. Then this dude is bumpin’ his gums at me, and honestly, I really wanted to punch him in his face, but I knew that wasn’t the right time to do that so I just tried to stay as composed as possible because I don’t like to talk trash. Whenever I got into a street fight I never talked -- I just hit. I never liked to be in someone’s face that close just talking.”

There is a certain double standard in the war of words leading up to the Evans-Jackson showdown that hasn’t escaped the 29-year-old champion. Evans consistently catches heat for his antics in and out of the cage, while Jackson seems to be applauded for it.

“You know what, I can’t understand it either,” said Evans. “I can’t understand it either man. I try not to. There was a time where it really bothered me and ate at me and I was like, ‘I don’t understand.’ I’m in the arena and everyone is booing me. And that’s so funny because everyone is in here booing at me, but I just spent about two hours signing autographs. So who the hell is booing at me, you know what I’m saying? Who’s booing at me? It’s just so contradictory to everyone that comes to speak to me. I always treat everyone with respect. Yet everyone still boos. They don’t like me. But that’s OK. Everybody has a cross to bear in life and maybe that’s my cross to bear. I don’t have to be popular in life, as long as I know who I am then that’s OK.”

Evans will probably have other things to ponder in short turn, most likely the conundrum that is Machida (14-0), a fighter whose style perplexes opponents more often than not.

“The kid’s been phenomenal,” said Evans. “He’s been better than phenomenal. He’s been looking better every fight. But that’s the fight business. That’s the fun part about a fight is the fact that you go in there with an opponent that sometimes seems insurmountable. But then you figure it out and that makes the victory that much sweeter. With that said, there may be some kinks in his armor that I have yet to see that I can exploit when I look at the tapes more closely. Nobody’s unbeatable. Machida’s been looking slicker than I don’t know what, but everybody has a weakness even if you do look slick as oil. Everyone has a weakness.”

Evans said he’s a lock to expose weaknesses on May 23, though if it will be Jackson or Machida’s shortcomings remains to be seen.

Tony
10-03-2009, 13:23
Ik gun rampage ook de rust en ik zie liever machida als title candidate...

WAR MACHIDA!!!

Mr 1 Leg
10-03-2009, 13:57
Ik gun rampage ook de rust en ik zie liever machida als title candidate...

WAR MACHIDA!!!zeker x2 :thup:

Pepe the Ice-Murderer
10-03-2009, 14:03
x3 Machida verdient echt wel een title shot! En ik geef Rashad weinig kans tegen een vechter als Machida. Tenzij dat the dragon op een vuist loopt natuurlijk.

Sendur
10-03-2009, 16:23
X4

Zoals ik al eerder zei, Machida is number 1 title candidate.

anonymous001
10-03-2009, 16:31
Leuk interview...

Hoop ook echt op Machida.

nicolas the red
10-03-2009, 16:51
machida verdient het zeker en 3x vechten op 6 maand tijd is teveel voor rampage

Tsuki
10-03-2009, 16:51
MACHIDA .................................................. KIAI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allinn
10-03-2009, 17:18
hahhahahhahha....machida has no chance in hell when he faces Evans. Denk je dat Evans ook in zijn val valt??.... Don't think so....Machida is going to get knocked the f*ck out...... That's a guarantee!!!

anonymous001
10-03-2009, 17:27
hahhahahhahha....machida has no chance in hell when he faces Evans. Denk je dat Evans ook in zijn val valt??.... Don't think so....Machida is going to get knocked the f*ck out...... That's a guarantee!!!

Heb je hem weer....:rolleyes:

PD_EC
10-03-2009, 17:33
als ze eerlijk zijn laten ze machida vechten voor de titel
daarna komt rampage als eerste weer voor een titel shot

LemsterNL
10-03-2009, 17:35

deze man heeft er verstand van mensen

Remco
10-03-2009, 17:37
Liever Machida, zeer interessante partij wordt dat!

Tsuki
10-03-2009, 17:56
deze man heeft er verstand van mensen

ik denk dat de meningen daar over zijn verdeeld ......................

Guile
10-03-2009, 18:23
Prima toch, Rampage tegen de winnaar...

Machida - Evans, durf het niet te zeggen

tom l
10-03-2009, 18:27
Ik hoop echt dat Evans gelijk krijgt en dat het Machida wordt! Lijkt me momenteel ook de enige light heavyweight die Evans kan stoppen! Machida for light-heavyweight champion!

WAR MACHIDA!

tom l
10-03-2009, 18:33

Waarom praat je heel de tijd Engels met ineens uit het niets 1 zinnetje Nederlands terwijl je duidelijk Nederlands kan?

En geef is even wat meer uitleg over waarom je exact denkt dat Machida kansloos is na alles wat hij bewezen heeft in de ufc? Ik kijk uit naar je hoogstwaarschijnlijk grondig gefundeerde uitleg! Of baseer je je vooral op het feit dat Machida niet 'als een man vecht' en dat je je in je mannelijkheid aangevallen zou voelen moest hij van Evans winnen?

Je beweert dat Machida KO geslagen gaat worden terwijl Machida net de vechter is uit light heavyweight die ik het minste slagen ooit heb zien incasseren. Ik heb hem zelfs nog nooit in gevaar zien. Waarschijnlijk ondat hij vals speelt en als een pussy vecht.

Mr 1 Leg
10-03-2009, 18:41
Waarom praat je heel de tijd Engels met ineens uit het niets 1 zinnetje Nederlands terwijl je duidelijk Nederlands kan?

En geef is even wat meer uitleg over waarom je exact denkt dat Machida kansloos is na alles wat hij bewezen heeft in de ufc? Ik kijk uit naar je hoogstwaarschijnlijk grondig gefundeerde uitleg! Of baseer je je vooral op het feit dat Machida niet 'als een man vecht' en dat je je in je mannelijkheid aangevallen zou voelen moest hij van Evans winnen?

Je beweert dat Machida KO geslagen gaat worden terwijl Machida net de vechter is uit light heavyweight die ik het minste slagen ooit heb zien incasseren. Ik heb hem zelfs nog nooit in gevaar zien. Waarschijnlijk ondat hij vals speelt en als een pussy vecht.x2 tom

dimitri
10-03-2009, 18:45
Evans - Machida zou zelfs nog saaier kunnen worden dan Royce vs Shamrock II.

Guile
10-03-2009, 18:55
Evans - Machida zou zelfs nog saaier kunnen worden dan Royce vs Shamrock II.

Tja wat niet kan, het zou mij eerlijk gezegd een zorg zijn als vechter zijnde. In die kooi telt maar één ding...

Gordeau
11-03-2009, 09:20
QUINTON JACKSON will NOT be facing light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans at UFC 98.

A hand injury and jaw complaint have forced Rampage out of their championship clash, which was scheduled for May 23.
Jackson squared up to Evans inside the Octagon after dispatching Keith Jardine at UFC 96 and claimed he was ready to challenge the unbeaten American for his belt.
But the 30-year-old will be made to wait for his title tilt and Evans will instead defend his strap against Brazilian star Lyoto Machida.
However, SunSport understands Jackson will be named the No1 contender in the division and handed a title shot against the winner of the Evans-Machida bout.
The card for UFC 98 is expected to be:
Rashad Evans v Lyoto Machida (light-heavyweight championship)
Matt Hughes v Matt Serra
Josh Koscheck v Chris Wilson
Yushin Okami v Dan Miller
Sean Sherk v Frankie Edgar
David Kaplan v George Roop
James Irvin v Drew McFedries
Houston Alexander v Andre Gusmao
Phillipe Nover v Kyle Bradley
Patrick Barry v Tim Hague
Yoshiyuki Yoshida v Brandon Wolff

Injury rules out Rampage bid | The Sun |Sport|UFC (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/ufc/article2311041.ece)

anonymous001
11-03-2009, 09:25
:thup::thup::thup:

(verder ook een enorm vette card!)

Tony
11-03-2009, 10:03
Yeah.. wat een fokking goeie card..
zoieso Machida erin... = top

Frankie Edgar weer back on track.. super!!! Man wat hoop ik dat ie een kunstje gaat flikken tegen Sherk.. Maar destijds tegen Maynard redde hij het niet omdat ie te licht was (relatief).. weet niet wat ie dan tegen Sherk kan doen.

Was altijd een redelijke Hughes hater... maar ik hoop zo ontzettend dat ie dik wint van Serra (en daarna wel eindelijk met pensioen gaat)

Koscheck alweer erin? Damn die gast vecht wel heel erg vaak...

dirk5
11-03-2009, 10:13
Coole card, blij dat Machida zijn kans krijgt.

Ook leuk Nover weer een keer te zien, zie ik liever dan Dave Kaplan.

Verder hoop ik echt dat Hughes Serra gaat ownen. Mag preacher man Hughes niet echt maar Serra vind ik helemaal een loudmouth...

Sendur
11-03-2009, 10:14

Gast......:twak:

PD_EC
11-03-2009, 18:09
Evans vs Machida Terecht!

delightone
12-03-2009, 04:04
Ik hoop dat machida, de titel pakt en evans overklast.
Hoop dat serra, hughes billenkoek geeft en hem choked tot ie rood aan loopt

Kan op 1 of andere manier evans en hughes niet uitstaan alhoewel ik hughes een mooie vechter vindt maar na TUF zo hekel gekregen heb aan die man