PDA

View Full Version : Another interview with Melvin Manhoef

marcelt
23-03-2009, 21:17
Another Melvin Manhoef Interview

Melvin Manhoef is ''hot'' these days. There are a lot of interviews with this fighter on the internet. I found this one on M-1 Global. I thought it was interesting, and that's why I wanted to share it with you all. I hope you like it too.
http://www.fansofk1.com/uploads/articles/1939/melvinmanhoef01.jpg
mar 23 2009
He is considered one of the most feared strikers in the world. Now with K-1 and DREAM, Melvin Manhoef is actually an M-1 alumnus. M-1Global.com's Michael Mazur recently caught up with the talented Manhoef to discuss a variety topics ranging from whether he has ever received interest from the UFC, when and where his next fight will take place, his opinion on the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world, the fighting exploits of his son, and more.
Michael Mazur: What is the maximal weight ever you had coming into the ring?
Melvin Manhoef: The maximum weight was around 93kg.
Michael Mazur: What is the maximal weight you could put on to fight without losing in agility and speed?
Melvin Manhoef: I don't really know because I never tried to gain a lot of weight. I do know that when I am around 95/96 kg I don't feel well. At that weight I feel slow and heavy.
Michael Mazur: How much do you weigh in the offseason between the fights?
Melvin Manhoef: Off season I weigh around 92 kg.
Michael Mazur: How do you combine excellent bodybuilder look with lightning speed, stamina and footwork?
Melvin Manhoef: I have particular exercises for speed. Also with my fitness training I keep in mind that I have to keep my speed and explosiveness and I make sure that the fitness exercises don't make me slower.
Michael Mazur: Taking into account you're middleweight but also the fact you've been so successful against so many heavyweights in K-1 do you feel you're ready to take on any heavyweight under K-1 rules or is there a limit when you think it has no sense? In general do you agree to fight anyone they offer you or first you consider the chances against every given opponent?
Melvin Manhoef: First off all it is not only about weight but also about length. For instance it is not reasonable for me to fight Semy Schilt or Hong Man Choi. Not only are they to heavy but they are also too tall. I can never reach them with my length. I'm able to fight heavyweights, which I have already proven, but I won't make it a rule to fight in this weight division.
When I get asked to fight someone we always take it in to consideration because I love to fight. With Mark hunt we decided to take the chance and I won. But I have to stay realistic and keep my abilities in mind.
Michael Mazur: UFC's commentator Joe Rogan had this to say about you: "Melvin Manhoef is a monster. He's the most exciting striker on the planet". Have you ever received any offers from the UFC?
Melvin Manhoef: There have been offers from the UFC but I'm not in negotiations with them. I'm with the K-1 and I'm happy there. Off course we never know what the future brings, so we will see.
Michael Mazur: What do you think of Anderson Silva? What would your game plan look like against him? How would you approach a fight with him?
Melvin Manhoef: If I would fight him my game plan is very important. I would try took keep the fight standing.
Michael Mazur: How much time do you spend on lifting weights? Could you share some of the records you had with bench press?
Melvin Manhoef: I have fitness training around four times a week. My record with bench-press is 150kg. But I'm not trying to be as strong as possible with things like this. It's about my muscle condition. My profession is fighting and not lifting weights.
Michael Mazur: When and how did you meet Badr Hari? What was your first impression of him? How hard is it to spar with him? Would you ever fight him if you happen to be put in the same bracket?
Melvin Manhoef: I know Badr from Mike's Gym. We train there together with our trainer Mike Passenier. Badr is a nice laid back guy and we always have a good time. Of course it is hard to spar with him since he is heavier and taller than me. We do train a lot together and we have good workouts. In general we agreed not to fight each other, only if we had to face each other in the finals of the K-1 we would make an exception. But we'd rather not fight against one another.
Michael Mazur: You are one of the busiest fighters in the business. What's the plan for 2009 (MMA / K-1 / tournaments / single fights)? What is your next fight?
Melvin Manhoef: My next fight is in the K-1 tournament -100kg on the 28th of March. After that I will fight on the 16 of May in Amsterdam against Stefan Leko.
Michael Mazur: You stated that fighting is your life and you like it a lot, that's why your recent retirement didn't last too long. Is that what motivates you to keep fighting or is there anything else?
Melvin Manhoef: Fighting is my life and I love it. That is all the motivation I need. When I stand at the beginning of the catwalk and see all the fans cheering, and the rush I get from being there walking up to the ring, then fighting is the greatest feeling ever. Also I want to build up a great future for my kids. Fighting gives me the chance to give them a better life.
Michael Mazur: Besides Mike's Gym where did you use to train in the Netherlands?
Melvin Manhoef: I first started at Shogu Gym after that I went to Rock Gym, Chakuriki on to Mike's Gym.
Michael Mazur: Are there up-and-coming athletes training with you now we need to keep in mind?
Melvin Manhoef: Yes we have some great talents like Murthel Groenhart who is an "A" fighter with great potential. We also have some younger fighters like Zakaria Zougari, Issam and Maik Redan. They are 14 and 15 years old but have the talent and already the skills to become very good fighters in the future. We should really watch them.
Michael Mazur: Who was your hero in the childhood? Who had you been looking up to while growing up?
Melvin Manhoef: Ernesto Hoost, Peter Aerts, (Kazushi) Sakuraba, Wanderlei Silva.
Michael Mazur: According to you who's the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world?
Melvin Manhoef: At this moment in MMA it is Fedor, in kickboxing its Ernesto Hoost and in boxing it is Floyd Mayweather and Mike Tyson.
Michael Mazur: Who's the best striker in the history of K-1 according to you?
Melvin Manhoef: That must be Ernesto Hoost with all his K-1 title
Michael Mazur: Have you ever thought of trying to compete in boxing?
Melvin Manhoef: I have thought about it but I think it is too late for that now. It never came that far, although it would have been nice.
Michael Mazur: Is there anybody you'd like to lock horns with in particular be it a new opponent or a rematch?
Melvin Manhoef: There are a lot of fighters who I would like to fight. Also I would like rematches for all my losses. It would be an honor to fight Peter Aerts once if I get the chance.
Michael Mazur: Melvin, one of the more memorable MMA brawls ever was your encounter with Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos back in 2006 at Cage Rage 15. Can you tell more about this fight? How did it go? How did you feel?
Melvin Manhoef: It was a hard fight. We both fought to the bone, till we couldn't go no more. When a fight is this heavy and you're so tired, I start to fight on a sort of auto-pilot and I just keep on going. It was really great to win and I still think of this fight with great pleasure.
Michael Mazur: What was your hardest fight to date? Why?
Melvin Manhoef: I think it's my fight against Remy Bonjasky last year in Amsterdam.
Michael Mazur: Tell us about your son, Million Manhoef? The YouTube video showcasing his skills is pretty impressive. Will he be kicking ass like you do?
Melvin Manhoef: He is more in to soccer at the moment and I must say he is very talented. I don't care what kind of sport he does, as long as it makes him happy.
Michael Mazur: Do you drink alcohol? What do you do in your free time? What are your hobbies?
Melvin Manhoef: I don't drink alcohol. I spend most of my free time at the gym, training or teaching. Besides that I organize kickboxing/MMA events in The Netherlands. Together with my little brother Earl and Sabine, we organize events through the country. We also started an organization for children "Kickbox Kids Championship". We organize children's kickboxing events where the children really are the centre of attention. We make it like the K-1 for children. I must say this is one of my favorite activities. I enjoy working with children and help them develop their talent.
Michael Mazur: Thank you very much for your time. Do you want to thank any sponsors or do you have any words for your fans?
Melvin Manhoef: Thank you too for the interview. I also would like to thank my fans around the world who always have my back and support me all the way! My team: Mike Passenier, Oscar Roque, Khalid, Remco Paroel, Frederik van Oosterom, Potielli.
The people closest to me who make my life a bit easier so I can focus on training and fighting.
And last I would like to thank my sponsor M Double You sports nutrition. Many people have to understand that nutrition is important because that's the fuel for your body. Sport nutrition is the key to improve, to get better and to recover faster from your training. At MDYshop.nl you can find all the supplements I get from them to help me keep my physique and my strength.
For more information on Melvin Manhoef, please visit http://www.melvinmanhoef.com/

Jones
23-03-2009, 21:43
Toppie !!!

Thanks for posting the interview.

Maik
23-03-2009, 23:41
Michael Mazur: Are there up-and-coming athletes training with you now we need to keep in mind?
Melvin Manhoef: Yes we have some great talents like Murthel Groenhart who is an "A" fighter with great potential. We also have some younger fighters like Zakaria Zougari, Issam and Maik Redan. They are 14 and 15 years old but have the talent and already the skills to become very good fighters in the future. We should really watch them.
Michael Mazur: Who was your hero in the childhood? Who had you been looking up to while growing up?
Mooie naam maik redan :D

Mr 1 Leg
24-03-2009, 08:05
Toppie !!!

Thanks for posting the interview.x2 thanks mooi intervieuw MELVIN RULES wat een knokker die man is echt waar.:thup:

Sendur
24-03-2009, 11:02
Melvin is de baas