PDA

View Full Version : Couture-Nogueira Announced for UFC 102

Vitor Belfort
16-06-2009, 00:15
Monday, June 15, 2009
by Brian Knapp ([email protected])

Two of the sport’s most decorated and beloved heavyweights will cross paths for the first time when Randy Couture locks horns with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in the UFC 102 main event on Aug. 29 at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland, Ore. The UFC made the bout official on Monday.

Couture (16-9), one of only two men to win UFC championships in two weight classes, has not competed since he surrendered the heavyweight crown to former World Wrestling Entertainment superstar Brock Lesnar in November. The hall of famer turns 46 later this month. Couture has competed against and defeated some of the sport’s premier fighters, including Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz and Vitor Belfort (twice). In 13 of his last 14 bouts, he has either defended or fought for a championship. Furthermore, nine of the 20 men against whom he has battled wore UFC gold at some point in their careers.

Nogueira (31-5-1, 1 NC), meanwhile, finds himself on the rebound, as well, after he was finished for the first time in his career in a technical knockout loss to Frank Mir at UFC 92. The 33-year-old Brazilian has posted seven wins in nine fights and holds victories against former UFC heavyweight champions Josh Barnett, Mark Coleman, Tim Sylvia and Ricco Rodriguez, 2006 Pride open weight grand prix winner Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and two-time Olympian Dan Henderson. A decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, Nogueira has secured 20 of his 31 career victories by submission.

Other bouts slated for UFC 102 “Couture vs. Nogueira” include a pivotal middleweight showdown pairing the unbeaten Demian Maia with former King of Pancrase Nate Marquardt and a light heavyweight tilt between Thiago Silva with Keith Jardine.

UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira
Saturday, Aug. 29
Rose Garden Arena
Portland, Ore.

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia
Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva
James Irvin vs. Wilson Gouveia
Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Chris Tuchscherer
Todd Duffee vs. Michael Russow
Matt Veach vs. Evan Dunham

MilfhunterMMA
16-06-2009, 00:41
dit is echt een matchup waarop ik zit te wachten. die russow is ook een aardige vechter.

sikkwitttet
16-06-2009, 00:45
tod duffee

alleen al om die naam moet hij een belt krijgen

HUNTER
16-06-2009, 01:18
Leuke partijen zeg!

Maia tegen de brute kracht van Marquard... kijken of ie m ook kan submitten

En Leben weer terug... altijd leuk om hem er bij te hebben op je fightcard :)

Sendur
16-06-2009, 09:59
Wel een leuk card opzich.

Al wil ik hierna Couture vs CroCop zien!

marcelt
27-06-2009, 14:16
UFC 102 SET FOR PORTLAND ROSE GARDEN
Monday, June 15, 2009 - by MMAWeekly.com Staff

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8978-UFC%20102%20Email%20Poster.jpg
The UFC’s first trip to the Pacific Northwest is officially set at last.

The promotion on Monday announced UFC 102, featuring Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, to be held Aug. 29 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore. The arena plays host to the NBA's Portland Trailblazers and a variety of concerts and events.

“We’re extremely excited to be heading to Portland,” said UFC president Dana White. “When you get two mixed martial arts legends that are all heart and have wanted to fight each other for years, plus the fact that Randy has roots in Oregon, that tells me that not only will the crowd be electric, but it’s also a night where the fighters will be looking to cement their legacies.”

MMAWeekly.com first reported the long anticipated main event in February as the headliner for UFC 101 on Aug. 8. The event was later rebooked as UFC 102 on Aug. 29 when recently passed MMA legislation green-lighted Philadelphia for UFC 101 "Declaration,” featuring Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin.

Couture declined an offer to face Nogueira in December of 2007 subsequent to his resignation from the UFC in October. Upon returning in August of 2008, he faced wrestling import Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 and lost his heavyweight title via TKO. The UFC Hall of Famer was offered the fight again at UFC 96, but an elbow surgery ruled out the meeting.

During Couture’s absence, Nogueira won the interim heavyweight title by submitting former champion Tim Sylvia at UFC 81. He lost the interim title at UFC 92 when Frank Mir stopped him with strikes.

Couture, who turns 46 next week, will begin camp in late June after wrapping action movie “The Expendables” with action star Sylvester Stallone. Nogueira will make an appearance as a villain.

“Nogueira is the type of fighter that is dangerous everywhere,” said Couture. “He’s difficult to knock out and he’s a world class jiu-jitsu player. I will have to train very diligently and very specifically for him. Also, the fact that I’m fighting in Oregon makes me want to put on a great show and win for these fans.”

Nogueira recently told Fighters Only that his loss to Mir postponed retirement and motivated another run at the title.

“I’m honored to face such a great fighter as Randy Couture,” Nogueira said. “I wanted to fight him for some time now and I know to become a legend you have to beat a legend.”

GerritTonijn
27-06-2009, 14:20
couture moet maar stoppen vind ik...

Jeru
27-06-2009, 14:42
Maia - Marquardt lijkt me wel een leuke partij!

weks
27-06-2009, 14:48
zou te gek zijn
leben weer terug ook mooi meegenomen
hopen dan maar

Tony Galento
27-06-2009, 15:11
“I wanted to fight him for some time now and I know to become a legend you have to beat a legend.”

Alsof Nog zelf geen legende is. Mooie vent!

sikkwitttet
27-06-2009, 15:44
maar als couture een beatdown krijgt.gaat dana hem ook force om te stoppen met vechten?

GerritTonijn
27-06-2009, 15:48
maar als couture een beatdown krijgt.gaat dana hem ook force om te stoppen met vechten?
hoop het

Fyodor
28-06-2009, 11:11
Die card ziet er echt goed uit. Veel bekende namen. Ik hoop dat Couture vs Nogueira het waar gaat maken. Benieuwd welke van deze 2 legendes gaat winnen.

NielsN
28-06-2009, 11:52
Die card ziet er echt goed uit. Veel bekende namen. Ik hoop dat Couture vs Nogueira het waar gaat maken. Benieuwd welke van deze 2 legendes gaat winnen.

Couture is kansloos. Deze hele match is kansloos, eigenlijk...

Maar verder wel een hele vette card! Ben vooral benieuwd naar Maia, hoop dat hij de nieuwe kampioen wordt...

kooivechter
28-06-2009, 13:33
Couture is kansloos. Deze hele match is kansloos, eigenlijk...

Maar verder wel een hele vette card! Ben vooral benieuwd naar Maia, hoop dat hij de nieuwe kampioen wordt...

Kansloos is Couture zeker niet. Antonio gaat hem niet k.o' en daar heeft hij de ko power niet voor. En submitten gaat ook niet gebeuren. Dit kon wel eens een hele mooie partij gaan worden. Voor de rest idd een super card, ben echt benieuwd naar Maia- Nathan

Boem Boem
28-06-2009, 21:06
Top!!!

osu

bryan
29-06-2009, 11:41
never bet against couture... denk dat hij hem wel pakt.. vooral als NOG vecht als zijn laatste partij...

GerritTonijn
29-06-2009, 12:07
never bet against couture... denk dat hij hem wel pakt.. vooral als NOG vecht als zijn laatste partij...

kans dat hij weer een staph infectie heeft en aantal blessures tijdens gevecht is klein.

Sendur
29-06-2009, 12:52
hoop het

why?

dimitri
29-06-2009, 13:24
Gaan we de ZOMBIE NOG zien die tegen Mir vocht? Of de PRIDE NOG?

Ik vraag me af hoe effectief Nog's closed guard zal zijn tegen Couture. In Pride was het zijn trademark, en zelfs tegen Fedor heeft het Nog zo'n 3 keer van een gewisse dood gered.

Maar in UFC mag Couture elbowen zoveel hij wil, dat zou wel eens slecht kunnen aflopen als Nog hem niet kan sweepen of submitten.