PDA

View Full Version : The K-1 World Inadequacy GP!

marcelt
17-08-2009, 23:44
So, here we have it. Daniel Ghita.
The World GP in Tokyo 2009 champion, a wonderful newcomer, a promising striker, the Romanian sensation! Fair enough, he did win the tournament, he did defeat three opponents in one night, and he did beat Peter Aerts's record, as stated on the official K-1 site. There's no denial of the fact - it's just how he did it. Let's have a look.
First fight - Daniel Ghita vs John Love
Now, as lovely as Mr. Love is, he is just that - Mr. Love. Chocolate, candy, flowers, whatever! The Welshman was obviously not up to par with the Eastern European. Have you seen Love's defense? Have you seen his offence? I'm sure he's got a great future, but not if he's going to keep on fighting like a Teletubbie. Harsh critique? Yes, but not towards John Love, who I understand is very young and has very little experience fighting in K-1 proper, no, John Love has accepted a brave challenge and he stood the test, at least for the first few seconds of the fight, until it all started slipping into hell for him.
Love's fine.
The question is - where were the K-1 organizers looking, when they put a 22 year old builder against a 28 year old multiple championship title holder? How was this even considered on par with what Laschenko had to do with Ciobanu? Mind the K-1 boys - both of those fighters have at least similar experience level, as evident from the exhausting match between the two.
Second fight - Daniel Ghita vs Yuki
Who's Yuki? Isn't that the guy who almost lost to Prince Ali in the opening fight? Mind you, this victory was a far better credit to Daniel, simply because Yuki actually resisted! What was Laschenko doing meanwhile? Fighting Brice Guidon, who turned out to be in my humble opinion the dark horse of this tournament - very smart, very smooth, very effective at stopping Rico's steamroller. A far greater matchup than Yuki. No?
Here comes the Final. In the blue corner a Romanian, Mr. Ghita, full of energy, zero damage, 500% confidence, well yea, he's seen Laschenko's previous two fights, and he knows that Laschenko is out of juice. And in the red corner we've got Mr. Laschenko, who's been through a punishing 3 round bout with the self-proclaimed Dracula's son, who, despite posing alot at the press conference, turned out to be a pretty tough cookie. Then Sergii had to go through Brice Guidon, and now finally he's here, barely standing up and having a good old time.
The fight is short and brilliant. The gutsy Ukrainian running on 80% heart and 20% energy, the cold Romanian executing his victim without having a blink. Nope, no blinking, it's Tuesday night, a fight, and he's already having a think about what he's eating for dinner after his sure victory - maybe a baked potato with sour cream? Yum.
Lovely.
The conclusion is simple.

- Daniel Ghita won the GP. Did he deserve it? Of course, this is a sport and that's what a sport is like - unpredictable. He trained hard, and whichever opponents he got - were not his choice. There is no doubt that he's got power and his defense is solid enough, at least it was solid against the 2 challengers and an exhausted Laschenko.
- Sergii Laschenko is an amazing attacker, and a much poorer defender, especially when it comes to low kicks. That man has incredible potential, he just needs to polish himself up.
- K-1 organizers should've made more adequate match-ups in the GP. Even with the possible departure of Melvin Mahoef - they should've had someone strong on hand.
So, here's to a sincere hope that the next K-1 GP will be more evenly matched, and then all fighters can showcase their true potential!

Alex Evdokimov, Fans of K1

marcelt
17-08-2009, 23:45
In defence of Daniel Ghita and K-1 WGP in Tokyo

Reading the arcticle of Alex Evdokimov I agreed that was easy to Ghita to win the tournament but I think the K-1 organization and the Tokyo GP, who was amazing, are not guilty.
First of all, Ghita was firstly supposed to fight against Alex Roberts, a great fighter who knocked out Nathan Corbett and is far better than the young welsh John Love. Love was going to fight the reserve match. The producers had no time to replace Roberts with other good fighter in time for the tournament and used the talented Love to fill the gap in the tournament card.
Then Melvin Manhoef was not able to fight the semifinal, and Ghita easily defeated the weak japanese fighter Yuki, after, beating a tired Lascenko. I think he was in day full of luck, but i don't see the Tokyo GP as the Inadequacy GP. With Roberts and Manhoef in condition, the GP was going to be better. But it is not right to blame FEG for the misfortune of those two fighters and fortune of the great romanian.
Daniel Ghita is an amazing kicker who defeated a lot of great fighters in events like Lokal Kombat and It's Showtime. His fights are always exciting. He has a lot of fans in his country. I think that, with the eight men who fought in Tokyo , Ghita was going to win in every way, no matter the match-up. The only one able to beat him in the Qualifying GP, in my opinion, was Melvin, but he was hurt.
Last year at the Hawaii GP, Gokhan Saki, a great and talented striker, fought again Deutch Puu, Rick Cheek and Randy Kim. He finished them after 9:30 min. All of them were limited fighters. The tired Lascennko and the young John Love are far better than any of them. And Ghita won the GP with only 5:15. What shows that he is an expectacular fighter who is going to have a great future in K-1. It's impossible to predict if he will be at the WGP final this year but I think he is going to be a K-1 top fighter soon.
In last years FEG is making GP's with fighters who don't deserve to be in K-1. But I don't think that Tokyo GP is an example of inadequacy. There were a lot of great fighters and the matches were good in my opinion... Jaideep, for example, is not a great fighter but won the Asia GP after beating really weak fighters.
I think that FEG must stop putting weak korean fighters in the asia GP just for being korean. (to please FEG Korea and make events in the country) And I don't want to see names like Butterbean, Wesley Correira, Sentoryu and others, just to be a joke in the card.
FEG still commits a lot of mistakes and inadequacies in K-1 World GP's but I think Daniel Ghita is a great fighter who deserves the great hipe he caused and there are many examples of GP's worser than the great Qualifying for the final 16 GP to be cricticized. There are GP's that has just one or two good fighters and has no how to make a fair matchup. And it is worse than make one or two mistake pairing great fighters.
I'm not trying to say that Evdokimov is wrong. I think that he is a great writer and I enjoyed both of his acticles. But I think he exaggerated in his opinion about the tournament and about Daniel. The event was the most exciting qualification of the last years, in my opinion, and Daniel Ghita (with Saki, Zimmerman and Hari, mainly) is the great name of the new genration of fighter who is taking place in K-1.

Rodrigo Mello, Fans of K1

ZakKa!
18-08-2009, 00:08
Erg hard gelachen om het eerste stuk. Het tweede stuk is ook interessant. Thanks voor het posten!