PDA

View Full Version : Poke-gate: Florian camp accuses BJ Penn of fighting dirty

Tony
19-08-2009, 13:29
Poke-gate: Florian camp accuses BJ Penn of fighting dirty (http://mmamania.com/2009/08/18/poke-gate-florian-camp-accuses-bj-penn-of-fighting-dirty/)

By: Jesse Holland (http://mmamania.com/author/jesse/)
http://mmamania.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/kenny-eye.jpg
Props: Fighthype (http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content5485.html)
Quoteworthy:

“There are a lot of things that happened during the [UFC 101] fight that you may or you may not have seen. Kenny got poked in the eye, which BJ is notorious for. He did it against Matt Hughes twice in one fight and once in their first fight. He did it against Georges St. Pierre in both fights. He was hitting behind the head all of the time. Kenny won’t say this, but I certainly will.”
Keith Florian, brother of former UFC lightweight number one contender Kenny Florian, discusses some of the alleged foul play from current 155-pound champ BJ Penn during his UFC 101 title defense against “KenFlo.” Kenny was submitted via rear naked choke in the fourth round but never really got into a groove in his second title fight since joining the UFC ranks in 2005. Was it the layoff that disrupted his riddum? Or did BJ have a hand (or finger) in making sure he “lost sight” of his title aspirations?

Ivo C.
19-08-2009, 13:31
Wtf...

Tony
19-08-2009, 13:33
huilies :p

florian got owned

Cave
19-08-2009, 13:34
Wat een gelul weer. Of je dient meteen na de wedstrijd - of iig binnen de daarvoor gestelde tijd - een protest in óf je houdt je bek erover. Niet ruim na een wedstrijd nog gaan lopen mekkeren.

Ivo C.
19-08-2009, 13:48
huilies :p

florian got owned
Indeed.
He got his face poked by a fist...

superfreak
19-08-2009, 14:10
zo jammer dit. Hij doet hier alleen z'n broertje mee te kort.

d3mon1977
19-08-2009, 14:16
Hij zegt het niet zelf:

Kenny won’t say this, but I certainly will

kickboxer1987
19-08-2009, 14:29
From MMA junkie and from Kenny:

Kenny Florian received a "couple eye pokes" during his UFC 101 loss to UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn earlier this month.

In fact, because of some blurry vision he's still experienced since that Philadelphia fight, he's seeing a doctor today to assure he sustained no serious injuries.

But as the UFC veteran and longtime lightweight contender today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio (http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio)), he doesn't blame the loss on the eye pokes and said Penn "deserved the win."

In an interview with FightHype.com, Keith Florian, the trainer and brother of Kenny, said the fighter got poked in the eye and that Penn is "notorious" for the illegal strikes. He pointed to Penn's previous fights with Georges St-Pierre and Matt Hughes as examples.

Kenny Florian, though, was much more diplomatic when asked if he was poked by Penn.

"I got a couple eye pokes, but that happens I guess," Florian said. "I don't want to use that as an excuse, though.

"I have a doctor's appointmemnt today to make sure the eye is OK."

After taking some time off after the fourth-round submission loss to Penn in the UFC 101 main event, Florian (11-4 MMA, 9-3 UFC) returned to training yesterday for the first time. However, he was still having problems with his sight and decided to see a doctor.

"I had some blurry vision," Florian said. "I just want to make sure there's no trauma to the eyeball itself. ... I'm confident there shouldn't an issue."

Of course, the obvious question is whether Florian thinks the eye pokes were intentional. In a combat sport with open-finger gloves, accidental eye pokes happen often and are an accepted danger of the game. Intentional eyes pokes, though, are a different matter.

So does Florian think they were intentional or accidental?

"I'm going to go ahead and say there were accidental," he said.

In fact, Florian complimented Penn and his game-planning numerous times. The term Florian used most often was "execute" when explaining why he fell short in his second quest for the UFC's lightweight.

"I was just off," said Florian, who also suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Sean Sherk for the vacant title in 2006. "It was an off night, and B.J. was on. ... He deserved the win. It was as simple as that.

"I was definitley disappointed. It was a tough few days after that event. I've got to say I didn't do what I should have done. ... I couldn't get my timing, couldn't get my range going. I couldn't execute. But I don't want to sit here and come up with excuses."

Florian, who trained with St-Pierre for this fight and said he will continue to do so for future bouts, hopes to get back in the octagon soon. He said the nine-month layoff between the Penn fight and his previous one (a first-round submission win over Joe Stevenson in November at UFC 91) was difficult to work through and that he doesn't want to be sidelined that long ever again.

"I want someone tough for my next fight," Florian said. "I want to fight every three or four months. I don't want to experience that lull (between fights) again.

"Hopefully I get a few wins against some tough guys and I can get right back there and fight for the title again."

De toon van Kenny is anders dan Keith...

Sendur
19-08-2009, 17:48
Indeed.
He got his face poked by a fist...

x2 haha

Sendur
19-08-2009, 17:49
Wat een gelul weer. Of je dient meteen na de wedstrijd - of iig binnen de daarvoor gestelde tijd - een protest in óf je houdt je bek erover. Niet ruim na een wedstrijd nog gaan lopen mekkeren.

Hier ben ik het ook helemaal mee eens!

el bastardo
19-08-2009, 20:43
Ik zag ook dat BJ nog wat vaseline op zijn poepertje smeerde alvorens de kooi in te gaan. Heeft ook meegespeeld denk ik...