PDA

View Full Version : Interview Marco Pique o.m. over Contender Asia 2

marcelt
20-08-2009, 22:53
Interview with Marco “THE SNIPER” Pique

Interview by Onne Stokman (K1 Fans)

Monday, the 3th of august it's really getting on the way! Dutch/Surinamese fighter Marco Pique travels to Malaysia to compete in the second season of the WMC's Sports reality show "The Contender". For Muaythai fans, this is really great news.
The first season was really amusing, with a lot of great fighters and great personalities. A bunch of fighters training together, eating together, having fun together, and eventually fighting each other. Still the group became very close and the atmosphere was very relaxed.
The fighters picked by Stephen Fox and his team had a special chemistry and hopefully this second season will bring us more of the same!
Q: Marco, How are you doing?
MP: Doing great, I'm very busy lately because I'm moving from Amsterdam to Almere and we still have a lot of work with the interior decorations, and (laughing) my lady and me sometimes have some different opinions about it!

Q: Who do you see as your most dangerous opponent in this season of The Contender?
MP: There are a lot of good fighters, but if I have to pick one, I would say "Artem Levin", Saw a few of his fights and this guy is really talented!

Q: Are there participants you want on your side? Or that you defiantly don't want to be in the same team with?
MP: No, it doesn't matter for me, most of the guys I don't even know personally, and even so there eventually you can and up fighting your own team mate as well!

Q: Did you watched the first season, and what are your thoughts about it?
MP: I watched bits and pieces, and I found It cool to see the way those guys became friends and even with the prices at stake, they seemed to see it as just a game.

Q: What do you think of the competitors this year as opposed to last season?
MP: I think this year the opponents might be stronger, for me personally there are more well known names this year. Last year before the show started, I only knew John Wayne Parr, Yodsanklai and Naruepol.

Q: From this years participants you only fought Malaipet before and lost on judges decision, What will happen if there is going to be a rematch?
MP: Then he is going down, I won't let the judges decide it this time!

Q: Have you took any special preparations for the show?
MP: No, I just held on to my own style. It works the best for me. I'm an all round fighter so I didn't find it necessary to adjust my training. So you will see the same Marco as always, and not a Thai style Marco.

Q: What is your career highlight up to this moment?
MP: I have a lot of things I can name, but if I really have to pick one I would say the WMC world title I won recently against Sean Wright in Jamaica.

Q: Can you give us your view on the fight?
MP: It was quick. I felt very relaxed before the fight and I was sharp. During the fight everything just went like I wanted to go!

Q: You competed twice now in the Dutch K-1 tournament. Both times you stranded in the final. Will you give it a 3th try or will you focus on other things this time?
MP: I don't think I will go for it again. I will focus on other things for now, but i'm not quite sure what those goals will be.

Q: What do you prefer, K-1 or Full Muaythai rules?
MP: Doesn't matter to me. I only don't like it that there is no clinching in the K-1rules.

Q: Are you going to fight at the SLAMM! Event this year again? And against who?
MP: No I probably won't fight at our own event this year. But it isn't up to me. But the way it looks right now, I don't think so.

Q: Is there any fighter you would like to would like in the future on full Muaythai rules?
MP: Yeah! I would love to fight against John Wayne Parr, the man is a legend and it would be an honor to have a fight against him. I met him in Jamaica and he is a real nice guy. (To JWP, Marco says: Hi mate, Hope all is well!)

Q: What is your prediction for the K-1finals?
MP: Can't really say, but I hope my buddy Andy will win!

Q: You fought against both Petrosyan and Buakaw, Who is the toughest fighter to fight against?
MP: The toughest is Buakaw, but Petrosyan is the most frustrating to fight. He is very slick and let you make the fight.

Q: In Jamaica they used all the Thai traditions like Waikru and the Mongkon, what is your opinion on that?
MP: I love the Thai traditions but in Jamaica they could have done without the Waikru, Some fighters took over 5 minutes to perform there dance, and I thought that that was too much. But the Mongkon is a nice tradition.

Q: Did you ever trained in Thailand yourself?
MP: Yeah. Twice, once at Fairtex and the second time at the the training facility of SLAMM!

Q: Who is your favorite Thai fighter?
MP: Definatly Yodsanklai. That man has a great style and the pressure he puts on his opponents is amazing. He looks like he tries to kill his opponents.

Q: How many thais did you fight and who was the hardest opponent?
MP: From the top of my hat, about 4 or 5. Buakaw, Samkor, Malaipet, Diesellek and Jongsanan. Buakaw was the hardest fight for me!

Richelieu
21-08-2009, 07:36
Leuk interview! Thanks Onne (zie je zondag) en Marcel voor het plaatsen! De head-to-head foto met JWP heb ik alvast gemaakt in Jamaica, kan altijd nog wel eens van pas komen ;)