PDA

View Full Version : Mir interview: 'I can't compete with Lesnar at 245 pounds'

CannieY
08-09-2009, 01:55
YouTube - MIR INTERVIEW: Needs to improve to rematch Lesnar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0THP5nRTh_Y)
vanaf 3:50 praat hij over zichzelf (voor de verandering) en brockie.

Mir interview: 'I can't compete with Lesnar at 245 pounds' (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Mir-interview-I-can-t-compete-with-Lesnar-at-2?urn=mma,187648)

By Steve Cofield (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter?author=Steve+Cofield)
UFC 100 was a humbling night for Frank Mir. The former UFC heavyweight champ was in the best shape of his career, a ripped 245 pounds, and still it wasn't enough to compete with the behemoth known as Brock Lesnar. Lesnar, who walks into the cage around 277-280 pounds, pinned down Mir's left arm and beat him upon the face throughout much of the first round. It rare amongst high level MMA fighters to see someone dominated that badly. So when you're 6-foot-3 and 245 and to weak to compete with the champ, what do you do? Mir says he's simply going to have to get bigger and stronger (4:36 mark):
"In the fight with Brock, I really felt there was a huge difference in strength and power. Being 245, I just don't think I'll ever be able to compete with him at that weight."
Mir said he's going to work with former U.S. strongman representative and UNLV strength coach Mark Phillippi (4:10 mark):
"One area of my game I'm really lacking at is physical power," Mir told Cagewriter. "Just training, lifting heavy weights, being explosive, being a powerful athlete."
Mir points to a guy like Georges St. Pierre as the model in MMA.
On the much discussed subject of Lesnar's postfight behavoir in the Octagon, Mir refuses to trash the big guy. (0:30 mark):
"I think my firends and family were more angry about that than I was. I'm going to go back to drawing board, I'm going to win two, three fights in a row and get a rematch against him. And I don't have to sit here and complain about it, I'll an opportunity to get locked in a cage with him and show him what I felt about that."
Mir, who also serves as the lead analyst for WEC fight on Versus, addressed Anderson Silva's recent thoughts on potentially moving to heavyweight:
"After that performance against Forrest, what can't you say about him? If he wants to move to heavyweight," Mir chuckled. "I would enjoy being able to compete against him. It's like saying Michael Jordan wants to compete in one-on-one, of course why wouldn't I? I think that would be a phenomenal fight. I'm not going to pin him and suffocate him. I think it would mostly be standup."
Mir also said Nate Marquardt is the guy who has the best shot at taking Silva out at middleweight. He weighed-in on the Shane Carwin-Lesnar fight saying it can go either way and that their wrestling will result in a stand-off.

Jochem
08-09-2009, 02:23
vertaling - hes gonna do roids big time, get really strong and really slow. again.

Sendur
08-09-2009, 08:42
hehe ja en hij moet eerst nog een keer langs Nog komen, dat gaat hem nooit lukken.

Guile
08-09-2009, 16:50
hehe ja en hij moet eerst nog een keer langs Nog komen, dat gaat hem nooit lukken.

Nooit? Weet dat Frank Mir niet veel fans heeft hier, maar het is niet zo dat hij niets kan. Mocht er een Mir - Nog 2 komen dan zie ik Mir zeker nog wel een keer winnen. Maar dat is nog een eind weg en er kan veel gebeuren in de tussentijd.

Sendur
08-09-2009, 17:19
Nooit? Weet dat Frank Mir niet veel fans heeft hier, maar het is niet zo dat hij niets kan. Mocht er een Mir - Nog 2 komen dan zie ik Mir zeker nog wel een keer winnen. Maar dat is nog een eind weg en er kan veel gebeuren in de tussentijd.

Mir is wel oke.

Maar hij maakt voor zichzelf smoesjes om moed in te praten.

Hij zit geestelijk nog steeds niet goed en hij praat zichzelf alleen maar crap in en zo maakt hij het voor zichzelf veel te moeilijk.

Nog breekt hem!

YoMarK
08-09-2009, 17:45
Ik vind dat Mir geen smoesjes maakt, hij geeft juist aan dat het aan hem is om beter te worden.
Tuurlijk, hij praat een beetje veel, maar voor de rest geen verkeerde gast imho.

Tommy v Wijngaarden
08-09-2009, 17:50
nee idd, ik zie hier altijd dat mensen negatief reageren op Frank Mir, ik volg de MMA wereld nog niet zo heel lang, maar wat ik van Mir gezien heb vind ik het wel een goede gozer.
Kan ook kritisch naar zich zelf kijken en daar ontbreekt het vaak aan bij vechters, bij heel veel ligt het altijd aan een ander en dat heb ik bij Mir nog niet gezien.

Pepe the Ice-Murderer
08-09-2009, 18:35
Ach Frank is een typische yank, maar wel een goeie sportman. Ik hou ook niet zo van zijn grote mond, maar dat is een beetje eigen aan amerikaanse ufc vechters. Alleen hoop ik dat hij net zo hard traint als dat ie interviews weggeeft.