PDA

View Full Version : Cung Le levert belt in.

ZakKa!
18-09-2009, 14:30
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Thursday confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that his middleweight champion, Cung Le, has booked another major motion picture role and will relinquish his belt.

Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller will now vie for the undisputed title under the eye of CBS when the two meet at the promotion’s primetime network debut Nov. 7 at location to be announced early next week. A report on ESPN.com says the Sears Center Arena in Chicago is under intense consideration, citing sources close to the situation. The telecast will air live from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET. Coker was unaware whether the broadcast would be tape delayed to other parts of the country.

“I had a conversation with Cung and he has a lot of respect for Jake and Jason, and he’s got another movie coming up, so he’s asked me if he could step down, which we’re going to honor his request,” said Coker. “By no means does that mean he’s going to be retired, but he’s going to be unavailable for the next two months.”

Coker said he hoped to book the newly minted movie star again after his filming obligations are completed, though nothing was confirmed.

“With Cung, every six weeks we’ll be checking back with him,” he continued. “Now that he’s not going to be our title holder, we’ll put him in some big super fights and continue his MMA career, but not have the pressure of defending his belt when he has movie opportunities.”

Miller and Shields were expected to face off in October, but the bout, and event, never materialized. Both pointed the finger at one another for the delay. Miller on Thursday confirmed the fight via his official Twitter account, stating, “I duck NO ONE.”

Shields was unavailable for comment, but his manager/father, Jack Shields, said “we’re just pleased it’s happening. We’re happy to be back with CBS. With both of them doing the show, I’m sure it will create a lot of interest, and we’re really happy to be on the card with Fedor.”

Miller (29-6-1) hosts the MTV reality show “Bully Beatdown,” on which Shields has made multiple appearances. He last fought in late May, where an inadvertent illegal knee he threw in a middleweight title bid against Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza forced a no contest stoppage.

Shields (28-4), a former EliteXC welterweight champion, defeated former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler in early June, stepping up from welterweight to a contest limited to 182 pounds in Strikeforce’s second major card televised by Showtime Networks.

Hier hou ik niet van. Ik had gehoopt dat Cung Le eindelijk weer eens zijn belt gaat verdedigen... Zal wel te maken hebben met die tekken movie.

YoMarK
18-09-2009, 14:35
Ach ja, Miller en Shields zijn in ieder geval wel serieuze kandidaten voor een belt. Lijkt me een mooi gevecht.

Tony
18-09-2009, 14:57
helemaal mee eensch.

deze partij is sowieso al hartstikke beladen... Prima keuze dus.

Fyodor
18-09-2009, 15:09
Terecht lijkt me. Sowieso was ik geen fan van Cung Le, ik denk dat hij overschat wordt. Als Frank Shamrock nou z'n trots opzij had gezet door niet alleen staand te gaan vechten had hij kunnen winnen...

guess2007
18-09-2009, 15:19
Kunnen we niet terug naar de tijd dat vechters vochten ipv zichzelf voor lul zetten in B-Films waar niemand op zit te wachten.

Remco
18-09-2009, 15:39
PRECIES!

Baal zo van dat gedoe over die films. Op Sherdog stond laatst een goed artikel over deze kwestie. Niemand zit erop te wachten. Filmliefhebbers niet op dat gestuntelde geacteer, vechtliefhebbers niet op het verspilde talent.

onne1983
18-09-2009, 15:45
PRECIES!

Baal zo van dat gedoe over die films. Op Sherdog stond laatst een goed artikel over deze kwestie. Niemand zit erop te wachten. Filmliefhebbers niet op dat gestuntelde geacteer, vechtliefhebbers niet op het verspilde talent.

maar de vechters wel op een gespekte bankrekening en een baan die ze na hun "prime" ook kunnen voortzetten.

dirk5
18-09-2009, 15:51
ze moeten natuurlijk zelf weten wat ze doen met hun leven, ik zie Cung Le hier ook niet zeggen dat jullie niet mogen posten op dit forum.

Wel moet de keuze duidelijk zijn en moet iemand gewoon dus meteen van zijn belt gestript wortden wanneer ie zijn aandacht op acteren zet.

ps. wel stom van strikeforce dat ze geen champion clausule hebben.

Ivo C.
18-09-2009, 16:04
Good decision in both, taking the Belt back and having that fight comming up...

Fyodor
18-09-2009, 19:10
ps. wel stom van strikeforce dat ze geen champion clausule hebben.

Idd, zelfde verhaal als bij Alistair...

Shields vs Miller lijkt me trouwens een leuk gevecht!

micha
18-09-2009, 20:48
heath herring vecht voorlopig niet omdat hij liever in B-films speelt

ZakKa!
18-09-2009, 21:31
PRECIES!

x2

Ik wordt er moe van...

Donjopie
18-09-2009, 21:37
zonde:D

Mr 1 Leg
19-09-2009, 09:30
x2

Ik wordt er moe van...x3:sleep1:

chief108
19-09-2009, 14:24
Sowieso was ik geen fan van Cung Le, ik denk dat hij overschat wordt.
ga je mond spoelen jochie...

lees: :twak:

Gnarkill
19-09-2009, 16:15
Had Cung Le vs. Miller wel willen zien eigenlijk.. :(

Sendur
19-09-2009, 17:34
Kunnen we niet terug naar de tijd dat vechters vochten ipv zichzelf voor lul zetten in B-Films waar niemand op zit te wachten.

haha zo is het:thup: