PDA

View Full Version : Dana White over de partij van Daley *spoiler*

marcelt
20-09-2009, 23:16
DALLAS – British slugger Paul Daley (22-8-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) may have finally found a home.

The 26-year-old "Semtex" has bounced around from organization to organization in recent years, but Affliction's demise as a fight promotion led Daley to the UFC.

An injury to Mike Swick led Daley to Saturday's UFC 103 main card, and his explosive hands led to a win over Martin Kampmann and some high praise from his boss.

"This kid put himself on the map tonight," UFC president Dana White said of Daley at the post-event press conference. "I love guys that step up on short notice because it's an opportunity. He took the opportunity and made it happen."

Daley was originally scheduled to fight on the evening's preliminary card against Brian Foster. But when Swick's mishap led to an opportunity for a promotion, Daley jumped at the chance.

The Brit said it's the type of move fans can continue to expect from him in the future.

"I'm just happy to be here and happy to be fighting for the UFC," Daley said. "I'm a fighter's fighter. I'll fight whoever. I proved that by stepping up to fight Kampmann.

"I'll do it again, and I don't care who's standing in front of me. I'm just going to be the same fighter and go out there to finish people."

Kampmann was thought to have had a shot at current welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre should the Danish striker have earned a win. With St. Pierre on the sidelines until February, Daley may now have time to work himself into that discussion as well.

Daley said he can't let himself be concerned by those scenarios at this point.

"I just wanted to make a statement in my UFC debut," Daley said. "Obviously getting the chance to fight Martin Kampmann is pretty big. Me and my team was confident that I was going to do the business, and I did."

But White, who must determine how to sort out the increasingly jumbled welterweight division, said perhaps a Daley match with Swick could decide the next title contender.

"Could be," White said of the potential bout. "The kid stepped up, took an opportunity, made it happen. He looked good tonight. He's got a good chin, and he hits hard."

A.F.
21-09-2009, 00:04
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/7/f/9/7f9aa3366077adff8f24a1020c544095.jpg