PDA

View Full Version : Cung Le on vacating the Title

Ivo C.
23-09-2009, 09:37
Interview (http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/09/22/5-oz-exclusive-with-cung-le-i-have-to-do-the-right-thing-for-myself-and-my-family-too/)

FiveOuncesOfPain: Do you feel like your career in mixed martial arts can be given a fair amount of credit for your fast rise in the movie industry?
Cung Le: I definitely credit MMA, and the popularity of MMA, for the opportunities I’ve had to just walk into these big studios and meet these movie executives because half of them were fans of the sport. They wanted to meet with me because of my past in the sport, and then of course they want to know if I can act. A lot of people don’t realize that when you’re a fighter, you’re going to have a lot of fans, from the top executives from Warner Bros., Universal, and other major companies in Hollywood. If you go in there, they’re going to be a fan, but if they know that you can deliver, and that you can act, a lot of big and wonderful things can happen for you in your career in the entertainment business.
FiveOuncesOfPain: Do you also feel, on the other side of that coin, do you feel like you’re giving back to the sport to some degree by all the press the sport is getting through you being in movies?
Cung Le: I believe that I have given back to the sport because this is going be a bigger market. A lot of people follow MMA, but then there’s a whole lot of other people that don’t follow MMA at all, but everyone goes and watches movies. I think that after people see me in movies, they may end up doing a little bit of research and they’ll be like, “Wow! He fights MMA”.
FiveOuncesOfPain: Can you talk to me about some of the reasons behind your motivation to step down as the Strikeforce middleweight champion? ...