PDA

View Full Version : Contrary to recent reports, Cro Cop not retiring…yet

marcelt
28-09-2009, 23:41
Sep 24th, 2009
by Jeff Howard.

Mirko is not yet ready to hang it up.

“Cro Cop calls it quits” is just one of the many headlines today on multiple MMA “news” sites that claim the Croatian has retired from the UFC and MMA. It seems, however, that these reports are a bit hasty, and that Mirko is not hanging it up just yet.

The 35-year-old Croatian fighter had this to say, to Index.hr,

“Although it would be for the best to stay out, I would like to do two more contracted fights with the UFC and then end my career. Simply, fights and training are in my blood, I still haven’t made my final decision, it can happen that I finish everything day after tomorrow, but I would like to in fact still do it. After the Dos Santos defeat I was hot and the statements were not founded. Things are not all that black.”

The retirement reports may have been fueled by the reports of Team Cro Cop being disbanded, which did, in fact, happen. Team manager, Zvonimir Lucic, has released all of the team members per instructions from Mirko himself.

Many may agree that Filipovic should retire, but that decision will be made when Cro Cop decides it is time. When he does, only time will tell.

another article/interview from 5knuckles.com

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic has reportedly shelved plans to retire from mixed martial arts in order to honor the remaining two fights on his UFC contract.
Following his devastating loss to rising UFC heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos (http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-fighter/Junior-dos-Santos.html) last weekend, the famous Croatian stated, unequivocally, that he would hang up his gloves for good. The former Pride champion went as far as directing his head trainer to inform his other trainers and training partners of his decision and to disband his gym at once.
A week to reflect on the decision, however, has apparently fueled a change of heart.
"Often things can get on top of you, but I cannot say that I don't love this sport." Filipovic told Croatian news outlet Slobodna Dalmacija. "Its hard for me to decide now but I think that I will do these last two fights for UFC. This [fighting] thing is stronger than me. Sometimes the mind says yes but the heart says no. Take for example, when a man spends 30 years in prison. You let him out, he robs a store and takes only a pack of cigarettes, just to be returned to prison because they can not live outside. This is my fear."
However, the 35-year-old former member of Croatia's elite Anti-Terrorist unit ATJ Lucko states that his spartan lifestyle is all he knows.
"The problem is that my way of life is saturated with this military discipline, which does not allow for such things as Christmas or New Year holidays," Filipovic continued. "Training is never a problem - I think I missed five or six sessions in my entire life and never just because I couldn't be bothered. If you offered me all the money in the world not to train, I would refuse. This is my routine with which I have lived for 20 years."
Filipovic, while appreciative of his fans, also expressed his displeasure at the pressure he feels to answer to anyone outside of himself.
"I thank everyone for their support, for watching and following me, but I hate that I am expected to answer to people," Filipovic said. "This is my decision. My blood, my sweat, my tears - as such I don't owe anybody anything. The day I say I won't do it anymore - I'll stick to my word. But I still haven't said that and I haven't decided that this is the end. I know I must rest well and decide."

T15Boxing
29-09-2009, 00:27
Geef hem 2 complete tomato cans die hij aankan, dat zou iig een betere einde zijn.

micha
29-09-2009, 06:38
misschien zo'n mexicaan met een masker dietrapte hij bij pride nog in een paar sec ko.......

Tony
29-09-2009, 08:42
ach van de ene kant nog wel logisch.... eerst je verplichtingen afwerken (2 wedstrijden) en daarna stoppen..

ik kan er mee leven...
Als ie daarna maar wel gewoon stopt.. tis goed geweest zo... (vwb het niveau in de UFC)

dirk5
29-09-2009, 08:51
eerst een rematch met Herring for old times sake...

en daarna een mooie standup war met Hardonk nadat die aankomende UFC Pat Barry heeft verslagen.

micha
29-09-2009, 09:02
eerst een rematch met Herring for old times sake...

en daarna een mooie standup war met Hardonk nadat die aankomende UFC Pat Barry heeft verslagen.

asjeblief zeg

Emilio
29-09-2009, 09:56
of een exhibition tegen Brock Lesnar :D

The Bulldog
29-09-2009, 11:28
of gewoon echt stoppen.....

De man van 14K
29-09-2009, 11:29
laten we dat maar doen... gewoon stoppen

maartenjackie
29-09-2009, 13:15
het is klaar met Cro.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2i93wco.jpg

Tony
29-09-2009, 13:24
Lol, wel een dikke fail om A. Emelianenko op die foto te zetten.... die heeft ze toch behoorlijk gereten gekregen van Crocop.

jesselaar
29-09-2009, 15:13
ik zou hem nog wel een keer tegen randy willen zien