PDA

View Full Version : Yuya Yamamoto about Petrosyan and K-1 MAX

marcelt
14-10-2009, 23:22
Can Yuya Yamamoto be the next Masato? Yamamoto, who is the only remaining Japanese fighter, is aiming to be the World Champion in the "FieLDS K-1 WORLD MAX 2009 World Championship Tournament -FINAL-"(October 26th, Yokohama Arena). His opponent in the semi final is Giorgio Petrosyan, who is among the favorites. Just how will Yuya fight against such a formidable opponent?
Blog comments have been increasing

―― You are now in long-coveted Best 4. How was the match with Drago?
Yamamoto Well, he is scary, has a ragged face, and is very strong. His knee left a cut above my eye. I might have lost if I had taken that knee earlier in the fight. It took 7 stitches to close the wound.
―― How was the reaction around you?
Yamamoto Comments for my blog entries have been increasing . It all depends on the people's reaction around me how I feel after the match. To me it was just like, "Oh, it's over." I was glad because all of them were happy.
―― You can think objectively, that is your interesting point, I think. Your next opponent is Petrosyan.
Yamamoto Well, I don't know, I suppose it's not easy. I think he is strong. But I’ll just show my fighting spirit and fight whoever it is in the ring with me.
―― You have upheld the record that a Japanese fighter remains in the Best 4 since MAX started.
Yamamoto Yes, it's like, "Am I really in?" I need to pinch myself. I'd like to do my best to pay my debt back to the people who supported me this time.
―― Did you see your parents after the match?
Yamamoto Yes, we had dinner together after the match. I think they are happy to see people being proud of me.
―― How about the reaction at the gym?
Yamamoto They were really happy. They all thought I fought a good fight. But my own personal policy is that the way I fight is everything. And, I could have fought better.
―― Even though you defeated Drago?
Yamamoto To be honest, I didn’t feel right right from when I started warming up. I trained myself to be able to control my emotions and be strong enough to fight even in such a condition, but...I'm not good enough yet.

I want to be Masato's last opponent

―― That's why you couldn’t fight at your best??
Yamamoto I felt that something was not working right. Also, lots of things were new to me.
―― I heard that you practiced with Masato. Are you going to do that again?
Yamamoto I'd love to, because he mentioned we should train together again to me.
―― You are the only Japanese that remains. You are the closest fighter to be The One post-Masato.
Yamamoto Am I? I can think myself that way only when people tell me.
―― I think people see you that way.
Yamamoto This is not what I wanted to be, but I'm happy if I can succeed. I could feel the fans' cheering for me during the bout, maybe because I'm Japanese, and also because it was held in Japan.
―― Petrosyan defeated Kraus completely.
Yamamoto I have fought with fighters that have a similar style of his several times, but honestly, the only thing I can do is fight aggressively whilst moving forward. I want to keep the distance and exchange techniques to be honest, but no one would like to watch such a fight. I'll kick in his legs and punching him in the face. I don't like to put a victory above anything else, but I place an emphasis on winning a fight.
―― You started thinking that it's your turn to lead other Japanese fighters?
Yamamoto Well... it's not like I lead the others because I'm the only Japanese fighter at the tournament in 2009. People see me as a leader, but I haven't won a tournament which chooses a representative for Japan, and I have no title. Even I'd laugh myself if I am the representative of Japan. So I don't want to say that I am leading Japan. Of course I'm grateful if people think so. I probably have to be more conscious of this, but I don't say in words.
―― Do you have particularly strong feelings about fighting for K-1, which started here in Japan?
Yamamoto My fans have brought me here. I know how to pay my debt to them.
―― What's your aim?
Yamamoto I want a satisfying match. Moving forward and being aggressive. I didn't have such an ambition before. I don't particularly want the winning belt, but of course I'd be happy to have it. Once you win, you want to keep winning. And if I'm given the opportunity to have a match on New Year's Eve, I'd love to fight with Masato as his last bout.
I'd cleverly go for broke!

―― Just one more step to the final tournament.
Yamamoto This is my first and probably the last chance.
―― Who do you think your opponent will be in the final?
Yamamoto I'd have more of a chance if it was Buakaw, but I can’t just assume it will be him. I'd like to be ready to fight anyone. Firstly, I have to defeat Petrosyan. It won't be easy.... I hope it won't be a boring one... I don’t care what happens to me. I’ll just go for broke.
―― Because you are as accurate as a precision machine.
Yamamoto Defense comes first, then offense. Even though it is the highest level, K-1 doesn't need such a fight, I suppose. I don't really like to fight the same way as others, but I am here because of K-1. I’ll find a way to win this match.
―― You do have the possibility to defeat Petrosyan.
Yamamoto A head on attack is what Petrosyan would have the most trouble with. I’ll cleverly go for broke. I want to see his reaction when I attack him with various small tricks. That's where the chance of winning is. At this level you cannot just give him one back when you cop a blow yourself. I'm looking forward the match in a way.
―― You were waiting for the perfect timing for that spinning back-fist in Drago's match.
Yamamoto I did it for the audience. I wasn't making a strategic move, so I never thought it would hit him anyway. But at least people enjoyed it. This kind of thing is a good way to lead the match.
Protecting my button!

―― Was Drago's punch strong?
Yamamoto To be honest, Chi Bin Lim's is stronger. But if these two fight, I think Drago would win. Chi Bin has more sneakiness and strength as a Kakutougi fighter. But I still think Drago would be stronger if they have a fight. I was certain that I can defeat him after the first round.
―― Melvin Manhoef was amazed saying, “Damn he’s got an iron chin!!”
Yamamoto No, I'm don’t at all. I'm a good at seeing a movement and protecting my button.
―― Protecting your button?
Yamamoto I don't want to get hit in the jaw, so I slip just a little bit. I can't avoid surface wounds, but I can prevent damage to my brain. It looks like I gets hit, but actually not. Well, I can't win on points though. (laugh) But I move forward because I don't want to lose. Aggression is also a way of defense to me. If I operate by instinct, I go for it. At heart, I want to make game plans though.
―― When you heard you'd be in the Japan finalist tournament, did you think you would come this far?
Yamamoto I don't like to think ahead so I wasn't thinking anything. I was happy I was given a chance though. You improve by winning, right? That's what I'm experiencing now. To be honest, I want to be excited about it though.
―― Is something changing in you?
Yamamoto I still have ambition.
―― You look like you are growing up.
Yamamoto Maybe because I broaden my world. I can't really notice it if I'm not told by someone else though.
―― Your blog entries brought about a huge reaction.
Yamamoto I don't really want to be famous, but I'd probably have to have the mind-set of being famous. Being conscious of it gives me power too.
―― I saw someone's comment saying, “Your match brought a tear to my eye."
Yamamoto I don't know because I'm not in the audience. I don't really get impressed by other fighter's matches, so I'm grateful to hear that. I will do my best and go as far as I can go.

PigDog
15-10-2009, 01:10
Als ik hem over Petrosyan hoor, ben ik bang dat hij niet weet wat er boven zijn hoofd hangt.......

Fr3ddy
15-10-2009, 10:59
Leuk interview.. geen grootspraak, gewoon bescheiden..

Idd, dat stukje hoe hij zijn 'button' beschermd is wel grappig..

PigDog
27-10-2009, 03:36
Sorry, maar Drago en Petrosyan is geen vergelijking....
In mijn ogen...