PDA

View Full Version : The robbery of BPP

marcelt
03-11-2009, 23:11
Honestly, I kinda hate using the word "robbery" when it comes to a decision in a fight. There was a giant uproar over Lyoto Machida's successful title defense against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 104; was it a robbery or was it a fair decision? There has been a lot of debate and it seems like the world has settled on the fact that Shogun should be the champion. I feel in that case there isn't a lot to get upset about; state-appointed judges outside of the Zuffa influence saw what they saw from ringside and came to a tough decision on a close fight.

I held off watching the entire K-1 World MAX Finals until HDNet broadcast the full show in HD with English commentary from everybody's favorite announcer Michael Schievello alongside FEG's Mike Kogan. If you want to get upset about judging, look no further than this event. At least two of the judges seemed to want every round to be a draw, with an uncanny number of the fights having draw rounds, even by K-1 standards. If you've followed K-1 for a while you'll understand that the judges can do us a lot of favors in close contests. A fight like Machida/Shogun would not of been decided that quickly, it would've been ruled a draw and forced into an extension round.

In theory this is a good thing, it means fighters are given a second and sometimes third chance to steal the fight and it gives the fans a better show. I start to have problems with this when a fight was going in one clear direction and due to poor judging a fight is sent into an extension round where the losing fighter is able to pull out the victory. Japanese judges, especially at FEG shows have been called into question many, many times, and right now I'm calling them into question. Buakaw Por. Pramuk beat Andy Souwer.

It is hard to not be critical of Buakaw this year in K-1, as his fire seems to have left a bit, and he has even talked about not fighting for K-1 anymore and focusing on fighting elsewhere. I only speak for myself, but Buakaw leaving would leave a hole in K-1 MAX competition, but if he doesn't want to perform up to par there is no reason to stay around and turn into Mike Zambidis. Buakaw was aggressive, kept Andy at bay with his world famous push kicks and jabs. At the end of the fight it was clear by even looking at the two men that Souwer was the worse for wear; a gaping cut under his right eye, fatigued, red in the midsection. Buakaw looked ready for more. The look on Buakaw's face when it went into an extension was that of disgust, and his desire to keep fighting seemed to be drained out of him while Souwer finally started fighting as opposed to being a heavy bag for Buakaw. Souwer did win that extension round, no doubt, but only after losing the only three rounds that should've counted.

Buakaw, who had it in his head to leave the FEG umbrella would have little reason to want to continue fighting for them after something like this, I believe. Plus there is a feeling that if Buakaw doesn't want to be there, FEG does not want him there. This would not be the first time that FEG has made Buakaw feel unwelcome, either. Look no further than the one knee from the clinch rule if you want proof of that.

I feel a bit biased as I had always enjoyed MAX, but when Buakaw hit the scene it breathed new life into the already fresh division to watch a masterful muay thai fighter decimating everybody in his path.
Source: The Robbery of Buakaw Por. Pramuk by the VengefulFEG - Head Kick Legend (http://www.headkicklegend.com/2009/11/2/1110967/the-robbery-of-buakaw-por-pramuk)

Jeru
03-11-2009, 23:48
Je vraagt je af of Buakaw gewoon zijn stijl moet veranderen voor de K-1 Max, maar in deze partij had hij volgens mij niet veel meer kunnen doen. De Japanners houden niet meer van deze Thai lijkt het wel....

Djani
04-11-2009, 00:45
Je vraagt je af of Buakaw gewoon zijn stijl moet veranderen voor de K-1 Max, maar in deze partij had hij volgens mij niet veel meer kunnen doen. De Japanners houden niet meer van deze Thai lijkt het wel....

x2

blackadder
04-11-2009, 01:15
Hadden ze ook zo een groot artikel toen Kraus tegen Buakaw werd genaaid in Japan?

payap
04-11-2009, 07:56

Japanners hebben het helemaal niet zo op met Thaise vechters. De hele K-1 al mag er maximaal 1 Thai meedoen. Terwijl er een enorm potentieel is van toppers. Buakaw heeft zich heel goed geevolueerd tot een K-1 vechter maar was nog geeneens de echte top van Thailand toen hij de kans kreeg in de K-1.

Voor Buakaw hebben eerst Kaoloan en later Saddou aan de de max mee mogen doen.

Yodsaenklai, Khem, Saiyok zijn maar zo wat zwaardere Thais die aardig zouden kunnen scorten in the K-1 max.

phranq
04-11-2009, 07:58
Vind het allemaal nogal overdreven, vond Andy de terechte winnaar!

jake phuk
04-11-2009, 11:14
Deze standpunten zijn goed te begrijpen, maar vergeet je wellicht dat souwer continue klaar was voor combo's en slagenwisselingen? En wat deed Buakaw..
Hij clinchte enkel om Souwer tegen te houden. Minstens 20x.
En btw, dat op de grond smijten is getting old..Het levert geen punten op en het toont buakaws drang om iets te laten zien wat hem zonder de clinch niet lukt :P (Niet dat Souwer het zo geweldig deed hoor)

Tuurlijk leek Buakaw een voordeel te hebben na 3 rondes, maar als de Japanners iets belonen dan is het agressiviteit en de wil om er vol in te gaan! Je krijgt bij die partij toch redelijk het gevoel dat Souwer het wat makkelijker afmaakt als Buakaw die clinch niet als defense gebruikt.