PDA

View Full Version : Dan Henderson naar Strikeforce

Jani
07-12-2009, 19:20
Former UFC middleweight Dan Henderson signed a four-fight, 16-month deal with Strikeforce on Saturday.

Aaron Crecy, the fighter’s business partner and manager, confirmed that the deal has been inked but would not divulge any further specifics of the agreement. Henderson had been in negotiations with both the UFC and Strikeforce since his UFC contract expired this fall.

“Dan chose to sign with Strikeforce after careful consideration," Crecy told Sherdog.com via e-mail on Monday. "He approached the process with an open mind, and over the course of the past couple months became increasingly impressed with the Strikeforce organization. It was not a decision that Dan took lightly."

Henderson could debut for Strikeforce as early as April on a tentatively planned CBS event, Sherdog.com has learned, and might face the promotion’s middleweight champion, Jake Shields, right out of the gate. Henderson, who also fights at light heavyweight, is being eyed for matchups against Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi and the world’s No. 1 heavyweight, Fedor Emelianenko, said a source with knowledge of the deal.

“Dan has always been motivated by the challenge of competing above his natural weight class, and he would certainly be honored to square off with Fedor at some point," said Crecy.

Henderson, who is Sherdog.com’s No. 3 ranked middleweight, and the UFC had stalemated on a new five-fight agreement since late July, following the two-time Olympic wrestler’s first-round knockout of Michael Bisping at UFC 100. (Henderson earned $350,000 for the win, which included a $100,000 performance bonus from the promotion.)

Henderson was first announced to rematch Rich Franklin at UFC 103 last September in Dallas, though he was later replaced by Vitor Belfort as the 39-year-old California native’s renegotiations continued.

During a July 31 teleconference call, UFC President Dana White said Henderson was “next in line” to challenge middleweight titleholder Anderson Silva in a rematch of their March 2008 bout at UFC 82. However, the bout would never come to fruition. Henderson met face-to-face with UFC owners Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta at the end of September in Las Vegas, but could not hash out a new contract.

In November, Strikeforce joined the negotiation table after Henderson’s two-month non-compete period had expired with the UFC. Unlike other standard UFC contracts, Henderson’s did not include a matching period in which the UFC could review and match outside offers, said the source.

Jordan Feagan, Henderson’s lawyer, continued to converse with both promotions as late as Friday, according to the source. The source said that Henderson was even offered a bout on Friday to face top-ranked middleweight Nate Marquardt at UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas, a matchup the promotion had previously tried to lock up for November’s UFC 105 in Manchester, England. A bout between Marquardt and Henderson’s former teammate, Chael Sonnen, had already been reported independently for that date, though not officially announced yet by the promotion.

Henderson won the UFC’s under 200-Pound tournament at UFC 17 in 1998, before joining the ranks of RINGS and Pride Fighting Championships in Japan. The only fighter ever to hold two division titles for Pride simultaneously, Henderson owns victories over standouts Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Wanderlei Silva, Murilo Bustamante, and Rich Franklin.

During his second stint with the UFC from 2007-2009, Henderson co-headlined four of the five events that he appeared in.

Crecy said Henderson was “very pleased” with the terms of his new contract and that money was not the fighter’s sole objective in his decision to move to the newer promotion.

“Dan likes to be a maverick, and I think part of the attraction to Strikeforce was to be a part of something that broadens the growth of the sport within the U.S. and globally,” said Crecy. “The fact that Strikeforce offers a network television platform in CBS as well as a premium cable partner in Showtime was particularly appealing to him. It delivers an incredible opportunity for Dan to perform live before an audience of millions of present and future MMA fans. Also, (Strikeforce CEO) Scott Coker treated Dan with a great deal of respect and integrity throughout the negotiations, and that certainly affected his decision. Dan is very excited to be a part of the Strikeforce family."

Had hem ook nog wel in de UFC wilen zien vechten.

Maar in Strikeforce zijn ook genoeg vette Match ups op MW en LHW..

Henderson vs Mousasi zal zeker komen

Sendur
07-12-2009, 19:22
goh..

dirk5
07-12-2009, 19:23
Goeie zaak!

Hendo is een aanvulling op elk roster.

jasfro
07-12-2009, 19:33
nice, ik hoop dat ze hem zo snel mogelijk tegen mousasi en shields laten vechten

TOON
07-12-2009, 19:37
Goeie zaak!

Hendo is een aanvulling op elk roster.

can't agree more!

Fyodor
07-12-2009, 19:53
Vet, Henderson vs Mousasi is een nog grotere test voor Mousasi. Een win over Dan zou zijn marktwaarde NOG hoger maken en Dana zal hem dan zeker in de UFC willen hebben (wil hij sowieso al, maar goed).

Hendo vs Sokojew lijkt me onwaarschijnlijk, aangezien ze samen trainen (trainden?). Hendo vs Babalu lijkt me wel weer leuk. Maar ik zou zeggen: direct tegen Mousasi! :)

iconian
07-12-2009, 19:57
niks mousasi en shields.

Manhoef vs henderson!! vuurwerk

Guile
07-12-2009, 19:57
Hendo - Gegard Co-Main Event
Fedor - Overeem Main Event

Lijkt mij duidelijk

XanaduNL
07-12-2009, 20:47
Ben niet echt een fan van Henderson, maar ik ben toch wel erg benieuwd.

marcelt
07-12-2009, 20:54
Strikeforce wordt steeds toffer !

Jeru
07-12-2009, 21:31
Henderson - Mousasi.... BOH!! Damn dat is wel een mooie uitdaging voor Gegard, maar Henderson gaat MW vechten?
Dan is Henderson - Manhoef wel een brute partij :D

ICON
07-12-2009, 21:42
Ben niet echt een fan van Henderson, maar ik ben toch wel erg benieuwd.

que?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee1zbCsjTes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J75y8b-Fak

XanaduNL
07-12-2009, 21:55
Weet ik wel ICON, mooie gevechten, maar ik heb gewoon niet zoveel met hem.
Heb voor de rest ook niks tegen hem.

ICON
07-12-2009, 22:02
ieder zn ding ;)

Harrie Nak
07-12-2009, 23:02
http://www.mmamania.com/2009/12/7/1189810/dana-white-dan-henderson-isnt

"He's happy, but the reality is that I pushed him into signing that deal. I told people over the weekend that he'd sign within the next week. I wanted him to s**t or get off the pot. He was in this limbo forever, and he needed more motivation to make a decision. Do you think that there's any guy we can't get that I want? Other than Fedor [Emelianenko]? So far, he's been the one guy we can't get. But everyone else that we've wanted, we got. If I wanted Dan Henderson, I could've signed him. For the money he wanted, he's not worth it. He's not a big pay-per-view star, he's not a big attraction, and he's not going to sell out arenas. He wants way too much and he doesn't bring anything to the table. Here's the reality: If I wanted him, he'd be in the UFC. It's not like, 'F***, Strikeforce beat me out.' He's been a free agent for a long time. If I wanted him, I would have signed him by now."

universele
08-12-2009, 00:07
Hendo rules.
Ben blij dat hij bij strikeforce komt.
Mooi vooruitzicht tegen de NLers. En Shields, lawler.

Sendur
08-12-2009, 00:48
niks mousasi en shields.

Manhoef vs henderson!! vuurwerk

x2

ondiep
08-12-2009, 09:04
Nice strikeforce word inderdaad steeds aantrekelijker :thup: hoop dat ze het blijven volhouden!

dirk5
08-12-2009, 09:17
haha, dana laat zich weer van zijn beste kant zien daar. wat een loser.

XanaduNL
08-12-2009, 10:22
Dana heeft toch 100% gelijk, misschien beetje onnodig om te zeggen maar toch.

jasfro
08-12-2009, 11:51
Ik denk dat de UFC hem toch beter gehouden had, Silva heeft meerdermaals aangegeven dat hij wil stoppen, en als Hendo een paar goeie prestaties neerzet in strikeforce kan hij als nr 1 MW gerankt worden...

superfreak
08-12-2009, 12:08
Tegen Manhoef moet een mooie partij worden. Wie land er als eerst een zware rechter hand, lukt dat niet kan Dan Manhoef altijd nog naar de grond slepen.

Trouwens, wat gebeurd er als Manhoef hem ko slaat. hij zwaarder wordt Mousasi maakt hem af. Dan nog maar tegen Shields(als hij daar dan al recht op heeft) en dat niet trekt dan heeft Dana toch weer gelijk.

EdwinC
08-12-2009, 12:16
Strikeforce trekt idd alle toppers naar zich toe. Dat moet de ppv rates toch zeker goed doen.