MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
    vCash

Default Cheick Kongo Targeting June Return From Back Surgery

UFC heavyweight Cheick Kongo is still recovering from December back surgery with the hope of returning around June, a source close to the fighter tells MMA Fighting.

The 35-year-old Kongo (15-6-2) had suffered through back problems for several months, even canceling a scheduled UFC 116 bout with Roy Nelson before taking an October UFC 120 fight with Travis Browne that ended in a draw.

Afterward, the popular French heavyweight tried rehabilitation in hopes of avoiding surgery, but he underwent a procedure in early December and has been working on strengthening his back since.

The timeline of a June return could work perfectly for the UFC, which is looking for an opponent for Shane Carwin.

Ironically, Carwin is also coming off back surgery. He's already accepted a place on June's UFC 131 event in Vancouver, though his opponent is to be determined.

A Carwin-Kongo match has been rumored by some, but as of now, the UFC has not spoken to either side about a potential matchup, according to sources.
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

Cheick Kongo vs Pat Barry make it happen!
    ''Mixfight is geen site maar een manier van leven!'' - Glen

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wrestler_nl View Post
    x2!

vCash

Matt Mitrione Would Be 'Honored' to Fight Cheick Kongo

Matt Mitrione has been around sports for the better portion of his life so he knows all about paying your dues and respecting veterans.

That's why when pressed on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour about who he wants to fight next, the now 4-0 heavyweight really didn't want to share the opponent he had in mind for fear of disrespecting him.

However, after hearing of the way Brian Stann tactfully expressed a desire to fight Wanderlei Silva following UFC 125, Mitrione finally spilled the beans.

"I would be honored to fight Cheick Kongo. I think that would be a lot of fun to throw down. I think it would be a lot of fun to fight somebody of that caliber. Somebody that has legendary stand-up, has a wrestling game to them, has a good ground-and-pound game. I think it would be fun. I think it would be a real trip to get in there and see how well I can fare against him.

"I respect the hell out of him. I've met him several times, and he's always been extremely cool and very, very polite. I think it would be a lot fun."

Kongo (15-6-2) is coming off a draw against Travis Browne at UFC 120. While he is 1-2-1 in his last four fights, he would definitely be the most experienced fighter Mitrione has ever faced. As MMA Fighting reported on Tuesday, he is hoping to return to action in June.

It took Mitrione just 2:59 to defeat Tim Hague on Saturday night. The performance was by far the best of his young career. And as is usually in the case in MMA, some fans have already begun calling for the 31-year-old former NFL defensive tackle to fight the top heavyweights in the UFC.

"I see on the Underground that people are calling out Shane Carwin and stuff like that. That's a different type of ball game. I think all of us in this division stand a puncher's chance against anybody, but I think that there's a lot of development I have, and I think that if I'm fortunate enough to get to fight Cheick, I would have to have five, six months off before that fight to make sure I have developed the things that I'm weakest on and that I get to come in there as developed and as strong as possible."

In his next breathe, Mitrione completely contradicted himself by saying he would like to fight in two weeks. That is, of course, if his injured left hand doesn't prove to be broken.

"I want to be the heavyweight Chris Leben, where they say, 'Hey, look, we just had a heavyweight fall out, we need a guy,' poof, Mitrione, come on in here. I would love to fight in two weeks. Man, I only fought for three minutes and I didn't even get punched. Didn't get punched, bro! So, I might as well still be in camp right now."

Mitrione is expected to find out the severity of his hand injury on Wednesday. Until then, he has been medically suspended for an indefinite amount of time and must be cleared by an orthopedic before fighting again.
    Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wrestler_nl View Post
    Klinkt heel wat logischer dan Shane Carwin.