MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    vCash

Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten.

vCash

UFC 134 a Homecoming for Brazilian Talent

For as long as mixed martial arts has existed -- and even before anyone used the term -- Brazil has produced a wealth of fighting talent. But as a lucrative spectator market for the UFC, Brazil has lagged far behind the United States, not to mention Canada and even some European countries that have never produced much in the way of MMA talent.

With UFC 134 taking place in Rio de Janeiro on August 27, however, the UFC thinks it may have finally reached the point where it can showcase its Brazilian fighters at home, and see them get as much recognition from Brazilian fans as they get in North America.

"It was very important for us -- Brazil has exploded in popularity for the UFC," said UFC President Dana White. "It's a big deal."

UFC 134 sold out the HSBC Arena, which frequently hosts concerts and will be the venue for basketball and gymnastics at the 2016 Olympics, on the first day that tickets were available. White said the UFC underestimated the demand for tickets in Brazil.

"We're very excited it was a fast sellout -- things sold out in an hour," White said. "We were a little gunshy down there. We had a 14,000-seat arena down there and 350,000 people were online for tickets. We probably could have done a bigger arena."

Fourteen Brazilians will participate in the 12-fight UFC 134 card, and one of them, former light heavyweight champion Shogun Rua, said Tuesday that he's pumped about fighting back home, where he hasn't fought since 2003, when he was 21 years old.

"I'm very happy to be fighting in Brazil," Rua said. "I'm very motivated to do a good showing and to give something back to the fans who give me so much support, not only here in Brazil but all over the world."

White said he believes recent fights featuring Brazilian stars, including the Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort fight in February, have garnered more attention for the UFC than it has ever before received in Brazil. And he said he thinks Brazil represents a big step toward the UFC's southern expansion.

"We're doing a lot in Latin America and Brazil is our first big step," White said.

One of the reasons there are so many great fighters from Brazil is that the culture has long been accepting of full-contact martial arts, whereas in other countries, there's resistance to MMA.

"As you go into every market it's different," White said. "There's no doubt about it: Brazil will be a zillion times easier than the UK and Europe have been. . . . And there's so many talented guys that come out of there. Not just talented guys, literally icons of the sport come from Brazil. It's the country where this thing started ... it's a fighting culture there. People get it and like it."

And if the 14,000 fans at UFC 134 like it, the UFC will be back soon.
    Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

Dana White Calls Yushin Okami the Best Japanese Fighter Ever

UFC President Dana White is fond of saying that the only way to prove you're the best fighter in the world is to do it in the UFC. It's not that there aren't any good fighters in other promotions, White believes, it's just that the only fighters who consistently test themselves against the best in the world are the ones who do it inside the Octagon.

By that rationale, White says Yushin Okami -- who will fight Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 134 -- is the greatest Japanese fighter in MMA history.

"In my opinion, Yushin Okami is the best fighter ever to come out of Japan," White said. "This guy didn't fight cans and get this built-up, mythological record."

Fighters who fight "cans" and build up a "mythological record" are a constant thorn in the side of White, who regularly complains about fans and members of the media who proclaim Fedor Emelianenko -- whose best moments came in Japan, and who never fought in the UFC -- as the greatest fighter in history. White always insists that Silva is the best ever, and now that he's promoting Silva against Okami, he's talking up Okami as the best ever to come out of Japan.

A lot of longtime fans of Japanese MMA -- especially the fans from the Pride days -- would disagree. Kazushi Sakuraba, Takanori Gomi, Kid Yamamoto, Hayoto Sakurai, Caol Uno and Shinya Aoki could all make a case that they've accomplished more in mixed martial arts than Okami has.

White is right, however, that none of those fighters have proven it in the Octagon. Aoki has never fought in the UFC. Sakuraba and Sakurai each fought in the UFC just once, with Sakuraba fighting on the UFC's Japan card in 1997, and Sakurai losing to Matt Hughes in 2002. Gomi and Yamamoto are both currently under contract to the UFC, but both were past their prime before they ever appeared inside the Octagon. Uno had some success in the UFC and fought twice for the UFC lightweight title, but his overall record in the UFC was just 3-5-2.

And White is surely right that if Okami beats Silva -- a very big "if" -- he would have an excellent case that he's the best fighter ever to come out of Japan. Okami has already beaten Silva once, although that was a controversial disqualification. If Okami were to beat Silva convincingly, that would become the signature win of his career and completely transform his reputation, while simultaneously knocking Silva from the top of the pound-for-pound rankings.

"Anderson Silva is fighting for his legacy," White said. "Yushin Okami is fighting for respect."

For Okami, White believes, a win over Silva would make it impossible for anyone to deny that he's the greatest fighter ever to come out of Japan.

"If he wins this fight," White said, "he'll get the credit he finally deserves."

vCash

vCash

vCash

lol "the only man who beat him in 6 years", door DQ nadat hij dik werd geownt door silva. De UFC gebruikt ook wel echt alles om dat gevecht een beetje te hypen

vCash

Shogun “two wins away from a title shot”, says Dana White Former UFC light heavyweight champion, Mauricio Shogun will have now, in UFC Rio, a rematch with the American Forrest Griffin, the first guy to ever beat him in Ultimate. With that extra element on the table, the Brazilian is preparing for fighting at the HSBC Arena.

“I just think about doing my best and winning. I don’t think about the worst, I know I can do it”, tells Mauricio. “It was a bitter defeat, I was upset about it, but I’ve trained a lot to overcome that”.
    Complimenting his opponent, Shogun hopes for an exciting bout.

“Forrest is a very good fighter, and I knew I could meet him again. I’ve evolved a lot, and so did he, and it’ll be a great fight”, tells Rua.

“There’s no easy fight in 205”, added Griffin.

Coming from a loss to Jon Jones, when he was dethroned, Shogun might get back to the right track for a chance at the title with a new triumph. “Shogun is one of the best guys in the world, and he might be two wins away from a title shot. But it depends on how the fight go”, said Dana White.
    "Some people have so much respect for their superiors
    they have none left for themselves."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Kemal View Post
    Dana White Calls Yushin Okami the Best Japanese Fighter Ever

UFC President Dana White is fond of saying that the only way to prove you're the best fighter in the world is to do it in the UFC. It's not that there aren't any good fighters in other promotions, White believes, it's just that the only fighters who consistently test themselves against the best in the world are the ones who do it inside the Octagon.

By that rationale, White says Yushin Okami -- who will fight Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 134 -- is the greatest Japanese fighter in MMA history.

"In my opinion, Yushin Okami is the best fighter ever to come out of Japan," White said. "This guy didn't fight cans and get this built-up, mythological record."

Fighters who fight "cans" and build up a "mythological record" are a constant thorn in the side of White, who regularly complains about fans and members of the media who proclaim Fedor Emelianenko -- whose best moments came in Japan, and who never fought in the UFC -- as the greatest fighter in history. White always insists that Silva is the best ever, and now that he's promoting Silva against Okami, he's talking up Okami as the best ever to come out of Japan.

A lot of longtime fans of Japanese MMA -- especially the fans from the Pride days -- would disagree. Kazushi Sakuraba, Takanori Gomi, Kid Yamamoto, Hayoto Sakurai, Caol Uno and Shinya Aoki could all make a case that they've accomplished more in mixed martial arts than Okami has.

White is right, however, that none of those fighters have proven it in the Octagon. Aoki has never fought in the UFC. Sakuraba and Sakurai each fought in the UFC just once, with Sakuraba fighting on the UFC's Japan card in 1997, and Sakurai losing to Matt Hughes in 2002. Gomi and Yamamoto are both currently under contract to the UFC, but both were past their prime before they ever appeared inside the Octagon. Uno had some success in the UFC and fought twice for the UFC lightweight title, but his overall record in the UFC was just 3-5-2.

And White is surely right that if Okami beats Silva -- a very big "if" -- he would have an excellent case that he's the best fighter ever to come out of Japan. Okami has already beaten Silva once, although that was a controversial disqualification. If Okami were to beat Silva convincingly, that would become the signature win of his career and completely transform his reputation, while simultaneously knocking Silva from the top of the pound-for-pound rankings.

"Anderson Silva is fighting for his legacy," White said. "Yushin Okami is fighting for respect."

For Okami, White believes, a win over Silva would make it impossible for anyone to deny that he's the greatest fighter ever to come out of Japan.

"If he wins this fight," White said, "he'll get the credit he finally deserves."
    dat is Kuzushi Sakuraba

vCash

Ben bang dat Big Nog zijn kin weg is maar ik hoop dat hij nog een run naar de titel kan maken.

WAR Nog!

vCash

Thumbs up if you think Kenny Florian is a good color commentator. Not that you have a choice, mind you, as "KenFlo" will be replacing Joe Rogan in the broadcast booth for UFC 134: "Rio" on August 27 in Brazil, according to MMA Weekly. That's because the comedian has resumed his role as host for NBC's "Fear Factor" and will be on location filming for the upcoming season. Rogan is expected to return at "Battle on the Bayou" on Sept. 17 in New Orleans.

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

UFC Stars Give Back Before UFC 134

UFC VP of Community Relations Reed Harris explains why Vitor Belfort, Junior dos Santos and the Nogueira brothers visited Academia de Boxe Norbre Arte at Cantaglo Community for a mixed martial arts clinic Tuesday.

http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-sp.../1126599514001

vCash

Silva ( al hoop ik dat Okami met de upset komt) Shogun !, Schaub, Barbosa, Cane.

vCash

UFC Considering Manaus, Brazil Show in 2012, Possible Crowd of 100,000

With a sold-out event already guaranteed for the UFC's first voyage in over a decade to Brazil, the wheels are already in motion for the promotion's return in 2012. And one of the possibilities is a whopper.

In fact, if the UFC pulls it off, it could become the biggest MMA show of all-time.

According to several Brazilian newspapers, on Tuesday, Zuffa co-owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta met with Omar Aziz, the governor of Amazonas, and his deputy Jose Melo, among others. There, the group discussed a possible August 2012 date for the UFC that could nearly double the UFC's previous record attendance.

According to the reports, the event would be held at Manaus' Convention Center -- popularly called "Sambódromo." The sprawling, outdoor venue is over 400 meters long and can hold a capacity of over 100,000.

"The opportunity to realize the UFC in Manaus and bring home some of the great fighters who are from this region is something that makes us very excited," Lorenzo Fertitta said.

To date, the largest crowd in UFC history is the 55,724 that filled Rogers Centre in Toronto for UFC 129. The all-time MMA attendance record is held by a joint PRIDE/K-1 promotion in 2002 that reportedly drew 91,107 fans to Tokyo National Stadium in Japan, though that number was never verified and largely believed to have been inflated.

Saturday's UFC 134 will see 14,000 fans fill Rio's HSBC Arena. The event sold out in just over an hour, and UFC officials have noted regret at not booking a larger venue. The Manaus show would potentially blow that show away, along with every other show UFC's ever done.

Among the Zuffa-employed fighters with ties to Manaus are current featherweight champion Jose Aldo and current Strikeforce middleweight champ Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza.

vCash

vCash

Er gaan overigens geruchten dat als Silva dit wint (doh), zijn volgende tegenstander Dan Henderson is en dit zal te zien zijn bij de eerste UFC on Fox show.
    Hoop echt dat dit gaat gebeuren!
    edit: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/8/23...rson-fox-debut
    Last edited by R.H.; 24-08-2011 at 21:22.

vCash

vCash

http://mmajunkie.com/news/24937/sonn...ice-threat.mma

Sonnen: UFC 134 trip to support Okami canceled due to sponsor intervention, police threat

by Steven Marrocco on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm ET
    TUALATIN, Ore. – Chael Sonnen wanted to be in Yushin Okami's corner for UFC 134, and he still has a plane ticket to Rio de Janeiro.

It's Brazil that doesn't want him there.

Sonnen said a major sponsor of Okami's requested he not attend the pay-per-view event, which takes place Saturday at Rio's HSBC Arena.

A source with knowledge of the situation told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com
    ) that Praetorian, a Brazil-based MMA brand, threatened to pull the Japanese fighter's sponsorship if Sonnen attended.

"There's a line of people that want to kick his ass," the source said.

And that could be the least of problems for the expert trash-talker. Sonnen said friends in the country forwarded him a local-media report in which a police chief threatened to arrest him on sight if he showed. The official cited a law that makes disparaging the national identity a crime.

"You don't have freedom of speech in Brazil; put it like that," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com after a workout at Team Quest Tualatin.

The source said Sonnen's claim is untrue. But the fighter's bombastic interviews have created quite a stir.

In several highly circulated clips and on Twitter, Sonnen has maligned the South American country and several of its most popular fighters. Former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida has been a favorite target, as have national icons and brothers Antonio Rodrigo and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Brazil-based MMA manager Alex Davis said Sonnen's words have united Brazil's MMA community.

"Brazilians don't get together on other things, but they've gotten together on this," he said. "Brazilian authorities would not arrest Sonnen for anything he said. They would defend him. But he is talking about people that a whole generation of fighters worship."

Okami, of course, is facing another object of worship, that of reigning middleweight champ Anderson Silva, in UFC 134's headliner. Silva has not been on Sonnen's Christmas card list for some time.

While the onetime middleweight contender expressed regret over not being able to help his teammate, Sonnen is there to do what's best for his frequent training partner, which, in this case, is to stay away.

"I only want to be there to help him," Sonnen said. "I don't need to see the show. I can watch the show on TV. I was going exclusively in support of Yushin, and frankly, it's been headed this way for a long time. It's been headed the direction of, 'Hey, this is becoming a distraction.'

"This fight isn't about me. I'm not involved. I'm here to lend you support. But I don't want things thrown at what will unintentionally be him while he's in the ring or we're going to the ring.

"This is serious business. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and it's not my place to disturb it or shift any type of attention to me. This is his moment, his night, his time to be the world champ."

For the latest on UFC 134 and other upcoming cards, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

vCash

vCash

Forrest Griffin Admits He's Not Enjoying the UFC in Brazil Experience
    By Ariel Helwani

RIO DE JANEIRO -- MMA Fighting spoke to Forrest Griffin at Wednesday's UFC 134 media workouts, held at the Copacabana beach in Rio, about Saturday night's fight against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. Griffin talked about why he wasn't particularly happy to be fighting away from his home in Las Vegas, what he has to gain from fighting in Brazil, what he expects to see from Rua and what's on his DVR these days.

Video: Forrest Griffin Admits Hes Not Enjoying the UFC in Brazil Experience
    "When I am fighting I am keeping my mind empty for any expectations. I am waiting for something unique, completely new.” - Rickson Gracie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by R.H. View Post
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/24937/sonn...ice-threat.mma

Sonnen: UFC 134 trip to support Okami canceled due to sponsor intervention, police threat

Hij wordt waarschijnlijk gelyncht als hij toch naar Brazilie gaat....

Dit is trouwens ook een mooie trailer:

by Steven Marrocco on Aug 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm ET
    TUALATIN, Ore. – Chael Sonnen wanted to be in Yushin Okami's corner for UFC 134, and he still has a plane ticket to Rio de Janeiro.

It's Brazil that doesn't want him there.

Sonnen said a major sponsor of Okami's requested he not attend the pay-per-view event, which takes place Saturday at Rio's HSBC Arena.

A source with knowledge of the situation told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com
    ) that Praetorian, a Brazil-based MMA brand, threatened to pull the Japanese fighter's sponsorship if Sonnen attended.

"There's a line of people that want to kick his ass," the source said.

And that could be the least of problems for the expert trash-talker. Sonnen said friends in the country forwarded him a local-media report in which a police chief threatened to arrest him on sight if he showed. The official cited a law that makes disparaging the national identity a crime.

"You don't have freedom of speech in Brazil; put it like that," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com after a workout at Team Quest Tualatin.

The source said Sonnen's claim is untrue. But the fighter's bombastic interviews have created quite a stir.

In several highly circulated clips and on Twitter, Sonnen has maligned the South American country and several of its most popular fighters. Former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida has been a favorite target, as have national icons and brothers Antonio Rodrigo and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

Brazil-based MMA manager Alex Davis said Sonnen's words have united Brazil's MMA community.

"Brazilians don't get together on other things, but they've gotten together on this," he said. "Brazilian authorities would not arrest Sonnen for anything he said. They would defend him. But he is talking about people that a whole generation of fighters worship."

Okami, of course, is facing another object of worship, that of reigning middleweight champ Anderson Silva, in UFC 134's headliner. Silva has not been on Sonnen's Christmas card list for some time.

While the onetime middleweight contender expressed regret over not being able to help his teammate, Sonnen is there to do what's best for his frequent training partner, which, in this case, is to stay away.

"I only want to be there to help him," Sonnen said. "I don't need to see the show. I can watch the show on TV. I was going exclusively in support of Yushin, and frankly, it's been headed this way for a long time. It's been headed the direction of, 'Hey, this is becoming a distraction.'

"This fight isn't about me. I'm not involved. I'm here to lend you support. But I don't want things thrown at what will unintentionally be him while he's in the ring or we're going to the ring.

"This is serious business. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and it's not my place to disturb it or shift any type of attention to me. This is his moment, his night, his time to be the world champ."

For the latest on UFC 134 and other upcoming cards, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.
    Die gast wordt serieus gelyncht als hij in Brazilië is...

Hier trouwens nog een mooie trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0O398YbV-g

vCash

Even in the Rain, Brazilian Fans Make UFC Open Workouts Memorable Affair'

RIO DE JANEIRO -- If the UFC held an outdoor open workout on Venice Beach on a rainy winter weekday to promote an upcoming event, you'd probably call them crazy. At the very least, you'd call them poor planners, and you'd be right.

In Brazil, however, the rules are different. Especially if you're bringing UFC fights to a city of passionate sports fans who have never seen an MMA event of this magnitude. And especially if you've got Anderson Silva on the guest list.

Throngs of energetic fans packed the sands of Copacabana beach in Rio de Janeiro on Wednesday afternoon just to get a look at their MMA heroes. What's usually a low-key fight week photo op quickly turned into a beach party, and soon it became abundantly clear that UFC 134 wouldn't be just another fight card. Not in this city.

People in costumes danced to imaginary beats. Fans broke out in impromptu chants. A Brazilian reporter tried to handle a microphone in one hand and his cell phone in the other, all while wearing a pair of boxing gloves for some reason.

Did any of them even notice it was raining? Did any of them care?

"Fighting's popular in Brazil," said UFC light heavyweight Forrest Griffin. "Who'd have thought?"

Griffin was one of the first fighters to hit the mats in the afternoon, though he didn't stay there long. The hired hands in raincoats who penguin-walked with towels under their feet to dry off the training surface never even had a chance to get out of his way. Griffin waved to the crowd, did about three minutes worth of stretches and calisthenics, then decided to call it good.

When a Brazilian reporter asked why he didn't attempt an actual workout, Griffin went into his usual deadpan.

"I don't know. Why didn't I?" he shot back. "I mean, think about it. Why would I want you guys to see my bag? You got to pay money to see my bag. Or at least buy cable TV."

When asked if that meant there was something significantly different in his bag for his rematch with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua on Saturday night, Griffin admitted it was mostly going to be the usual stuff on his part.

"It's new to Brazil though, dammit," he said.

But then, these fans didn't really come to see Griffin, and he knew it. It was UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva who most of the chants and cheers were reserved for. That is, once he finally fought through the afternoon Rio traffic and walked up to claim his belt, which the UFC's Reed Harris had carefully protected from the rain using a white beach towel.

Silva might be regarded as one of, if not the best pound-for-pound fighter when he's competing in the U.S., but it Brazil he's much more than that. He's a superstar. He's Michael Jordan, Hulk Hogan, and maybe one of the Kardashian sisters, all rolled into one.

Cameras swarmed him as he stepped briefly on the mats, and the frantic Brazilian media members nearly knocked each other to the ground trying to get a word or two out of him. While a UFC open workout in the states might only garner attention from MMA websites and a few local news outlets, in Rio it seems that everyone with a video camera and a microphone was willing to run one another over to get a glimpse of the champ.

That seemed fine with Silva, who showed up in glasses and earphones and removed neither as he held court all in Portuguese (with no translation provided by either his camp or the UFC), showing a level of enthusiasm one doesn't typically see out of him at most fight week media responsibilities.

But this one was special. This one was for his countrymen, who jumped up and down in the sand and cheered him like he was royalty, even if he didn't bother to do much of a workout, which was, ostensibly anyway, the whole purpose of the afternoon.