MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
    vCash

Default Mixfight.nl in gesprek met Clifton Brown, president/ceo The MuayThai Premier League

Interview: Chris van der Meijde

Foto's: archief Clinton Brown / Chris van der Meijde

Langzaam loopt de countdown naar uur U als op 2 september in Los Angeles The MuayThai Premier League van start gaat. Een grote internationale MuayThai competitie met top vechters uit alle delen van de wereld. Verdeeld over een dames poule en vier poulen voor de heren zullen veertig vechters in actie komen om uit te maken wie de echte kampioenen in hun klasse zijn. Met oa Kulebin, Corbett, Aussie, Saenchai, Kaoklai, Levin, Harisson, Yodsaenklai en vele andere grote namen zal de crème de la crème van de MuayThai wereld zich verzamelen in deze nieuwe competitie. En met hoofdprijzen die oplopen tot 100.000 US dollar en TV uitzendingen bij grote TV stations over de hele wereld staat de MuayThai sport aan de vooravond van groot moment in zijn geschiedenis.

President / CEO van Warrior Caste Productions, het bedrijf achter The MuayThai Premier League, is Clifton Brown. Zelf een ervaren vechter met vijf wereldtitels op zak weet hij als geen ander wat echt MuayThai inhoudt. Benieuwd naar de man achter de Nieuwe MuayThai Premier League en wat ons te wachten staat met The MuayThai Premier League interviewde Mixfight.nl Clifton Brown om meer te weten te komen.

CLIFTON BROWN, CEO/PRESIDENT THE MUAYTHAI PREMIER LEAGUE

Hi Clifton, how are you doing?

I’m doing great. We are quite busy at the moment, preparing everything for the fans.

You are the President / CEO of The MuayThai Premier League which will have its
    lift off on the 2nd of September in Los Angeles. You also had a big career as a
    MuayThai fighter. How did you get involved in the MuayThai sport and at what age
    did you start training MuayThai?

It’s a long and funny story, but I’ll give you the short version. When I was a kid, I
    used to watch martial arts films and play a lot of video games. At 12 years old I
    discovered Street Fighter, and it made a big impression on me. The last character
    in the game was a fighter from Thailand named Sagat that I could never beat. It
    made a big impression on me. Then at 16 I tried MuayThai for the first time with Thai
    trainer Suchart. The training was really hard but I couldn’t fit it into my schedule yet.
    At 18 I began to train every day, and a year later, I was living in Thailand.

When was your first fight, and what are your memories about that fight?

My first fight was in America in 1996 and I lost. It was a hard lesson to learn, that
    being good would take a lot of sacrifice. Ultimately, this moment began my serious
    commitment to the study of MuayThai.

CLIFTON BROWN MET DE WMC TITEL

You’ve had a lot of fights against some of the biggest names in the scene. Who did
    you find to be your toughest opponent?

My toughest opponent from Thailand was Mot X Sitpholek. And my toughest foreign
    opponent was Nathan Corbett, who I lost to twice. All other fighters who I have
    fought at the world level were very challenging, so I take nothing away from any of
    them, and what I learned in fighting each of them.

From which fight do you keep your finest memories?

My fight against Thongchailek in Thailand was one of my favourites as I found out
    right before that my first child was on the way. I fought really well and won by KO in
    the second round. Also, my fight against Manson Gibson because he was someone
    I respected as a fighter, and had a legendary career. And lastly, both of my fights
    against Kaoklai. He is a really tricky fighter, and forced me to adapt.

You trained and fought a lot in Thailand. How long did you live there, and in which
    camps did you train?

I lived in Thailand for a total of 4 years, over many trips, and I’ve trained at many
    camps: Chaiyai Gym, Lanna, Sityodtong, Sit Or, Nahkorn Tok Parkview, Por Pramuk,
    Sor Vorapin, WMC Lamai, and more. About 20 camps in total.

You had a lot of fights in Thailand. What makes it so special to fight in Thailand
    against a Thai?

For one, I love MuayThai. And while I certainly respect foreign fighters, and have
    lost to some, Thailand is the birth place of the sport, and really the best place to hone
    each of the MuayThai skills. So for me, this was the best way to improve myself.

How many fights you had, and which titles have you won?

I’ve had 56 professional fights, and have won the WMC World Title 3 times, the IKKC
    World Title, the IMTF World Title, and Canadian and North American Championships.

CLIFTON BROWN MET ZIJN BELTS

You are now 34 years old and the President / CEO of The MuayThai Premier
    League. Looking at the fighters who contracted for the The MPL there are some who
    you’ve had big fights with like Jiri Zak, Kaoklai Kaennorsing, and Nathan ‘Carnage’
    Corbett. Your active fighting career is over or … ?

As of right now, my active fighting career is over. I will never say never, but this
    project requires as much work and focus as my fighting career, if not more. And it
    is my goal to make sure that this is as successful as possible. So I’m giving Warrior
    Caste Productions my 100%.
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Enjoy yourself it's later than you think
    Enjoy yourself while you're still in the pink
    The years go by as quickly as you wink
    Enjoy yourself enjoy yourself It's later than you think

vCash

The MPL will be with full MuayThai rules. What makes those rules so special?

I believe full MuayThai rules with skilled competitors is the most exciting form of
    fighting. I believe they are special because there are so many ways a fight can
    change by using different strategies.

KAOKLAI KAENNORSING IN LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT MPL

All fights in The MPL will be with MuayThai rules, but there is one difference. The
    fights are 3 x 3 minutes instead of 5 x 3 minutes. What are the reasons for this?

The reason for 3 rounds in 3 minutes is to keep the pace high and exciting for fans
    both in the venues and on television. But we will still go to 5 rounds for championship
    bouts and the finals.

September the 2nd will be the lift off in Los Angeles for The MPL. Can you tell us
    something about this coming show and the fights?

For this answer, you will have to wait a little bit longer for our US Press Release.

With the start of The MuayThai Premier League, we can see a turning point in
    MuayThai history. What are the goals for The MPL for the future?

The goal for the MuayThai Premier League is to present the fans with the best
    opportunity to enjoy the sport with the world’s best MuayThai fighters. As well as to
    produce the highest quality events, both for the live audience and on television. Our
    goal for the future is to continue to grow the sport.

SAENCHAI SINBIMUAYTHAI, THE P4P BEST FIGHTER IN THE WORLD, IN WELTERGEWICHT MPL

The MPL has big plans to make the sport mainstream and take it to new heights in its
    history. How did the plans for The MPL see daylight, and how did you get involved in
    it?

The thoughts for The MPL came throughout my career as I travelled to many different
    countries for the events. I began to see that the sport was quite divided. It was a
    challenge to see the best fighting the best consistently. When I first began MuayThai
    in the 90’s, there were legends fighting in Lumpini every weekend, and it was hard for
    a fighter to stay champion for any length of time. The belt would change hands and
    come back again. For me, this was the best because anyone could win. I thought
    about how to bring this type of excitement back to the sport, and this is how The MPL
    was born.

History tells us that there were a lot of good plans for new leagues and tournaments
    in our sport and some with very good intentions. But most of them never got off the
    ground or had a short, unsuccessful life. How will The MuayThai Premier League find
    success, and not face the same destiny?

This is a difficult question. The only way I can answer honestly is to say it is our
    greatest intention to grow the sport. How successful we will be, is ultimately decided
    by the fans and the sports market. With network television in North America, an
    excellent and experienced team, we have worked hard to get to this point, and we will
    do our best to only grow stronger.

The MPL will have five different divisions with a total of 40 fighters. Can you tell us
    about the five divisions and how it works?

Each of the 5 divisions will have 8 fighters. These 8 fighters will be split into 2 pool/
    groups of 4. A fighter in a group/pool will have to compete against every fighter in his
    pool, once. A fighter earns 3 points for a KO victory, 2 points for a win by decision,
    and 1 point for a draw. At the end of the group stage, the top 2 fighters in each group
    will go forward to the elimination stage, where they will compete against the top 2
    fighters from the other half of their weight class. Group “A” #1 vs Group “B” #2, and
    Group “B” #1 vs Group “A” #2. The winners of these matches will proceed to the final
    for the MPL and WMC World Championship.

YODSAENKLAI FAIRTEX IN MIDDENGEWICHT MPL

When I look at the five divisions, the fighters come from all around the world. From
    countries like Australia, United States, Thailand, England, Canada, Holland, Peru,
    Slovakia etc. It seems the goal of The MuayThai Premier League is to make it
    a real worldwide international competition, and not like a lot of competitions and
    tournaments you see nowadays, with most fighters from one or a few countries and
    organisations.

Yes, I would agree. It is our goal to have the best fighters in the world competing,
    and to be as transparent as possible with fair scoring. Sometimes when a promotion
    is limited to 1 region, it can affect the judging. By having international fighters and
    international events, and a great team of judges and referees, we will do our best to
    let the fighters decide in the ring the results of their match.

There are four divisions for men and one for the ladies. This is special that The MPL
    also gives women the chance to act on a big international stage. Almost all other
    organisations don’t do anything for female fighters. Why is The MuayThai Premier
    League including a female division?

I think MuayThai has universal health benefit for everybody, male and female. It is
    a sport where many of the best female fighters, in terms of skill, can reach similar
    levels to their male counterparts. Also, we believe that it is important for both male
    and female children to have heroes and role models to look up to. A lot of martial
    arts students in gyms are females.

VALENTINA SHEVCHENKO, POULE TEGENSTANDSTER VAN ILONA WIJMANS, IN LADIES LEAUGUE MPL

In the pool (round robin) fights there will also be the possibility for a draw. In the
    playoffs and the finals no draws are possible and there will always be a winner. When
    the fight is in balance after three rounds will there be a decision or will there then
    come an extra round?

There will be no extra rounds. Fights in the finals will be 5 rounds. If fights in
    the playoffs are very close it will be to the decision of the head judge, who will be
    separate from all other judges, watching the match on his own monitor, to determine
    who the winner is by his own score card.

In the first season there will be eight big events around the world. Can you tell us
    where they will take place?

We have 3 events confirmed for the United States, 1 in Thailand, 3 in Europe, and we
    are still negotiating the remaining event.

Clifton, thank you for the interview. Is there anything else you would like to say to the
    fans of MuayThai?

We hope the fans will support MuayThai, the fighters, and the league, and we will do
    our best with The MPL to provide the fans top level martial arts entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFGBTeAIEIU
    Last edited by payap; 10-07-2011 at 00:45.

vCash

Thanks Chris, erg mooi verslag/interview!

Ook een heel leuke opzet met de divisies en de pools, levert knalpartijen op!
    Last edited by Kemal; 10-07-2011 at 01:12.
    Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

Tof man, thanks voor het interview. Saenchai FTW

vCash

Erg veelbelovend deze league. Hoop dat het zo tof wordt als ik denk.

vCash

Ik vind het wel jammer dat 1 van de meeste onderschatte vechters van Europa niet de kans krijgt om te laten zien dat hij de beste is op zijn gewicht Steven Wakeling. Wat Saenchai en Nathan Corbett zijn op hun gewicht is Steven Wakeling ook op zijn gewicht.

Hij verdiend het echt, geeft hem de kans deze man leeft voor zijn sport zoals John Wayne Parr en Farid Villlaume.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
    Ik vind het wel jammer dat 1 van de meeste onderschatte vechters van Europa niet de kans krijgt om te laten zien dat hij de beste is op zijn gewicht Steven Wakeling. Wat Saenchai en Nathan Corbett zijn op hun gewicht is Steven Wakeling ook op zijn gewicht.

Hij verdiend het echt, geeft hem de kans deze man leeft voor zijn sport zoals John Wayne Parr en Farid Villlaume.
    [email protected]
    TheMPL - Contact

Laat het horen
    Ni politicien ni militaire, je ne suis qu'un troubadour...

vCash

Bedankt voor het interview Chris. Zou mooi zijn wanneer dit uitgroeit tot iets groots!

vCash

Thanks Payap!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson View Post

Wat ik begrijp zijn nog niet alle plaatsen ingevuld en lopen daar nog diverse onderhandelingen met vechters over.

vCash

Dit ziet er erg goed uit, en belooft veel voor de toekomst. Samen met bijv. Thai Fight Extreme betekent dit een goede promotie voor het muay thai. Het levert voor het publiek veel aantrekkelijker partijen op en zal de sport een echte boost geven. Geweldig. Zo mooi heeft het er nog nooit uitgezien. K-1 is al weg, en als Showtime iets wil in de toekomst zullen ze zich moeten aanpassen naar Thaise regels. Maar van mij mogen ze ook gewoon weg, want ik heb het wel gezien met elke keer dezelfde Showtime vechters tegen hun vriendjes, en het gestrooi met titels. Teveel show, te weinig inhoud.
    Ik denk dat er een mooie tijd aan zit te komen. MPL heeft een goed plan, Thai Fight Extreme zet prachtgala's neer, en de WMC is nu wereldwijd echt actief aan het worden. We gaan genieten!

vCash

Hier twee vechters uit de middengewichtklasse die elkaar al een bevochten. Yodsaenklai Fairtex uit Thailand vs Jordan Watson uit Engeland.

Beide zitten in de MPL nu.

Deze partij is de halve finale van de Kings Cup op 5 december 2010 in Bangkok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngKF_...eature=related

vCash

Ik had dit al eerder gepost hierbij nogmaals.
    Volgens mij zijn er wel leuke opties vanuit Nederland:
    -67kg
    Mosab Amrani
    Motje Khamal
    -72,5kg
    Khalid Bourdif
    Ali Gunyar
    -82,5kg
    Sem Braam
    95kg
    Gokhan Saki
    misschien Tyrone Spong als hij deze gewicht haalt.

In mijn ogen zijn deze vechters ook goed aangelegd om verschillen stijlen te vechten, waarom niet ook in deze league en hebben ook nog verschillende nationaliteiten. Is denk ik wel een toegevoegde waarde voor de organisatie. Misschien een optie.
    Succes met de organisatie.

vCash

Gunyar is niet meer de Gunyar van vroeger Hafid el Boustati lijkt mij een betere optie of Kaas.

vCash

Heb zijn laatste partij nog gezien tegen Fadi Merza volgens mij ook niet de minste en hij was scherp hoor. Hafid is ook goed is jong en talentvol maar meer een 70kg vechter denk ik.

vCash

Ben ook benieuwd welke vechters de deelnemersvelden compleet gaan maken. Zag in het weltergewicht Mehdi Zatout uit Frankrijk er nu bij staan.

pittig baasje, net zoals zo veel Franse vechters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QuR68eUKCE

vCash

Ziet er goed uit deze league en leuk interview thanx payap

vCash

vCash

Beide ontmoetingen tussen Koaklai & Brown waren absolute beukpartijen!

vCash

hij heeft ook nog gevochten tegen Nathan Corbett

vCash

Interview staat ook op facebook van The MPL zie met een directe link naar mixfight hier.

Niet compatibele browser | Facebook