Default UFC 137 : Penn vs. Diaz Results **Spoiler**

Main card
    Nick Diaz def. BJ Penn via unanimous decision
    Cheick Kongo def. Matt Mitrione via unanimous decision
    Roy Nelson def. Mirko Cro Cop via third-round TKO
    Scott Jorgensen def. Jeff Curran via unanimous decision
    Hatsu Hioki def. George Roop via split decision

Preliminary card
    Donald Cerrone def. Dennis Siver via submission (rear-naked choke)
    Bart Palaszewski def. Tyson Griffin via first-round KO
    Brandon Vera def. Eliot Marshall via unanimous decision
    Ramsey Nijem def. Danny Downes via unanimous decision
    Francis Carmont def. Chris Camozzi via unanimous decision
    Clifford Starks def. Dustin Jacoby via unanimous decision
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

UFC 137 Bonuses: BJ Penn vs. Nick Diaz Earns Fight of Night Honors

LAS VEGAS – It was one of the most bizarre back stories in UFC history, and on Saturday night Nick Diaz and BJ Penn were rewarded for making the fight live up to the hype.

Diaz and Penn were given Fight of the Night honors at UFC 137 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center for their three-round slugfest in the main event. Diaz and Penn each got bonus checks for $75,000 for their performances in the fight, which Diaz dominated in the standup game for a unanimous decision win – and prompting Penn to announce his retirement.

Also picking up bonus checks for their performances were Donald Cerrone for Submission of the Night and Bart Palaszewski for Knockout of the Night. Cerrone's submission was the only one on the 11-fight card.

Penn was the clear fan favorite early in the fight, but as Diaz continued to pepper him with shots to the face, the crowd seemed to turn in favor of Diaz – or at least in favor of hoping to see an exciting finish after seeing seven decisions leading up to the main event.

Though Diaz couldn't finish the two-time UFC champ, he left his face battered and bloodied. After the fight, Penn said the fight would be his last.

"It's probably the last time you're ever going to see me in here," Penn told Joe Rogan. "That's it. I've got another daughter on the way – I don't want to go home looking like this."

Diaz, who was supposed to face Georges St-Pierre for the welterweight title on the card until he was removed from the fight for missing two press conferences, now is back in line to likely face the winner of St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit. That fight won't take place until St-Pierre recovers from a knee injury suffered in training earlier this month.

"It feels good to be back fighting," Diaz said. "In the second round, I turned it on and tried to take him out. He started going on defense in Round 3. Things would have been different if there were five rounds. I would have taken him out for sure in the fourth. BJ is one of the best there is, and not that many would go out there and take all those punches."

Cerrone continued his blitz up the UFC's lightweight ladder, submitting Dennis Siver with a first-round rear naked choke. That win gave Cerrone six straight and four straight in the UFC – all in 2011 after moving over from the WEC. Siver's four-fight winning streak was snapped with the loss.

Palazewski was the card's biggest underdog winner. Fighting in the UFC for the first time, and back in action for the first time in 10 months, Palaszewski stunned Tyson Griffin with a hook, then battered him with lefts and rights until one big right put Griffin on the canvas.

After the fight, Palaszewski, a former WEC and IFL standout, said he believes he broke both of his hands landing the shots that ended the fight.

vCash

Donald Cerrone Submits Dennis Siver

In a very impressive showing at UFC 137, Donald Cerrone made short work of Dennis Siver, hurting him badly with kicks and eventually choking him out on the ground.

A high kick across the chin made Siver stagger around the Octagon early on in the fight, and although Siver managed to hold on for dear life and recover, Cerrone eventually knocked Siver down and got on top of him in back mount, forcing him to tap with a rear-naked choke.

UFC announcer Joe Rogan suggested to Cerrone after the fight that he's nearing title contention, but Cerrone said he's not thinking about that just yet.

"I'm just here to keep fighting. Hell, I want to get another fight in December, so if I could do that it'd be great," Cerrone said.

This fight took just two minutes, 22 seconds, and Cerrone took no damage at all, so Cerrone should be able to return to the Octagon quickly. He's now on a six-fight winning streak and 17-3 in his MMA career overall, and there's every reason to expect big things for him going forward.

As for Siver, it was a disappointing loss just as he appeared to be nearing title contention himself. Cerrone showed that he's on another level.

vCash

Bart Palaszewski Brutally Knocks Out Tyson Griffin

Bart Palaszewski fought in the UFC for the first time and at featherweight for the first time on Saturday night at UFC 137, and he looked absolutely sensational, teeing off on Tyson Griffin and winning by first-round knockout.

The fight was brutish and short, as Palaszewski got Griffin up against the cage and just unleashed a barrage of punches that Griffin couldn't answer. Eventually one shot knocked Griffin to the canvas, and he was out cold.

"Oh, my God, it's a dream come true," Palaszewski said after the fight.

Palaszewski also said that he hit Griffin's head so hard that he believes he broke both hands.

"I think I broke both my hands, but it was so worth it," Palaszewski said.

For Griffin, it was a very disappointing loss, and it raises questions about what kind of future he has in the UFC: Griffin has now lost four of his last five. But Palaszewski looked tremendous at his new weight of 145 pounds, and he's going to have some big fights ahead.

vCash

Scott Jorgensen Beats Jeff Curran

Jeff Curran made his return to the UFC on Saturday night but couldn't top Scott Jorgensen, losing a unanimous decision at UFC 137.

For Curran, a longtime MMA veteran and one of the pioneers of the smaller weight classes, the fight was a demonstration that he's just not on the same level as today's top bantamweights: Curran is a fine fighter, but he wasn't able to generate much offense against the quicker and stronger Jorgensen.

But while Jorgensen got the win (30-27, 29-28 and 29-28 on the judges' scorecards) he wasn't satisfied afterward, noting that the crowd in Las Vegas didn't seem to be into the fight.

"Sorry to everybody you didn't get to see the typical 'Young Guns' style," Jorgensen said. "I'd have loved a more exciting fight but that's the way it goes sometimes."

Jorgensen had nothing to apologize for: He might not have put on the most entertaining fight you'll ever see, but he did just what he needed to do to win, and show that he's one of the best bantamweights in the world.

vCash

Hatsu Hioki Edges Out George Roop

After a brilliant run in Japan, featherweight Hatsu Hioki made his UFC debut on Saturday night and won a close split decision over George Roop on Saturday night at UFC 137.

Although Hioki dominated the second round, staying in full mount for more than three minutes, the first and third rounds were close enough that Roop easily could have taken the decision. As it turned out, one judge scored the fight 29-28 for Roop, but two scored it 29-28 for Hioki.

"He was stronger than I expected," Hioki said after the fight.

This victory, following Hioki's success in Japan, should give him a good chance of earning a UFC featherweight title fight in the near future. He's probably a win or two away from a chance to fight for the 145-pound belt and become the first Japanese UFC champion. Hioki made clear in his post-fight comments that he's fighting to represent his country.

"Even though we are in a tough situation, Japanese MMA is not dead," Hioki said.

vCash

Cheick Kongo Beats Matt Mitrione

In a heavyweight fight that didn't quite deliver the fireworks fans were hoping for, Cheick Kongo beat Matt Mitrione by decision at UFC 137.

Mitrione, a former NFL defensive tackle, and Kongo, a muscular striker, had a fight that was billed as a heavyweight slugfest but turned out to be more of a snoozefest, as both men came out looking tentative and hesitant. But Kongo got the better of the stand-up exchanges and battered Mitrione on the ground in the third round, and that was enough to earn the decision, 30-27, 30-28 and 29-28 on the judges' scorecards for Kongo.

The fans in Las Vegas booed as the fight came to an end.

For Kongo, the win was his 10th inside the Octagon, and it showed that he's still among the better heavyweights in the sport. But it also showed why he's not among the truly elite: His ground game is still rudimentary, and he's often too slow to let his hands go.

For Mitrione, the loss was his first since he was a contestant on The Ultimate Fighter, and it showed that he, too, still has a long way to go. Mitrione is a talented athlete, but he's not a complete MMA fighter yet, and this was not a great fight.

vCash

Roy Nelson Ends the Career of Mirko Cro Cop

A slimmed down Roy Nelson looked good against Mirko Cro Cop Saturday night at UFC 137, controlling throughout and winning by third-round TKO. But the big news came afterward, when the legendary Cro Cop announced his retirement.

"I knew before this fight this was going to be my farewell fight," Cro Cop said.

Nelson began his own post-fight comments by praising Cro Cop, the former Pride star who has had a fairly disappointing run in the UFC.

"Everybody give it up for Cro Cop," Nelson said. "He's given us in MMA, as a fighter, as a fan, so much."

Cro Cop's retirement is what everyone will be talking about, but we should also note that Nelson looked as good as he's ever looked in his MMA career. Nelson came inside and took Cro Cop down within the first minute of the first round, and although Cro Cop did a good job of tying Nelson up on the ground and getting back to his feet at the first opportunity, what was most interesting about the first round is that Nelson actually looked more comfortable than Cro Cop during the striking exchanges. Nelson deserved to win the first.

At the start of the second Nelson landed a hard punch but then Cro Cop exploded with a brutal exchange against the fence, and all Nelson could do was cover up. However, Nelson survived the barrage and eventually managed to take Cro Cop down and get on top in side control. With about a minute to go in the second round Nelson got a mounted crucifix and began to rain down punches, and all Cro Cop could do was weather the storm and wait for the round to end -- a round Nelson had clearly won, despite Cro Cop's strong start.

In the third Cro Cop looked like he had lost the will to fight: Nelson landed a big right hand, and when Cro Cop went low Nelson got on top of his back and landed a few punches that Cro Cop couldn't answer before referee Steve Mazzagatti stepped in to stop the fight, 1 minute and 30 seconds into the third round.

That made for a disappointing ending for the legendary Cro Cop. But it was a very good showing from the rejuvenated Nelson.

vCash

Nick Diaz Beats B.J. Penn, Who Says 'I'm Done' at UFC 137

Nick Diaz has made his triumphant return to the UFC. And B.J. Penn may have fought for the last time.

Diaz, the former Strikeforce welterweight champion who hadn't fought in the UFC since 2006, battered Penn for 15 minutes on Saturday night at UFC 137, winning a unanimous decision. The judges scored it 29-28, 29-28 and 29-27 for Diaz.

It was a great showing by Diaz, whose high-volume punching turned Penn's face into a bruised, bloody mess. Penn also marked up Diaz's face, but Diaz seemed to shake off all of Penn's punches, while Penn looked worn down by Diaz's punches.

It was the 11th straight victory for Diaz, who is now expected to be the No. 1 contender in the UFC welterweight division. Diaz called out UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre after the fight, accusing St. Pierre of being scared to fight him.

A Diaz-St. Pierre fight would be a huge one, which the UFC knows -- it originally booked St. Pierre vs. Diaz before Diaz's refusal to show up for press conferences promoting the fight got that bout scrapped. It seems just a matter of time before St. Pierre and Diaz settle it inside the Octagon.

But the shocking news came after the fight, when Penn said he doesn't want to fight anymore.

"This is probably the last time you're going to see me here," Penn said. "I've got a daughter, another daughter on the way. I don't want to go home looking like this. I'm done."

Whether Penn is really done we likely won't know for a long time: Plenty of fighters have announced their retirement only to change their minds later. But Penn has seemed recently like his heart wasn't really in MMA anymore. Diaz may have taken away Penn's will to keep fighting.

And now Diaz will set his sights on St. Pierre.

vCash

GSP vs. Diaz Back On, Likely for UFC's Super Bowl Card

LAS VEGAS – The welterweight showdown between Georges St-Pierre and Nick Diaz that was supposed to headline UFC 137 on Saturday needed all of about 90 minutes after the card to be back on.

UFC president Dana White said at Saturday's post-fight press conference that Carlos Condit has agreed to step aside from his pending title fight with welterweight champ St-Pierre – so Diaz could move in for the title shot. The planned headliner is expected to take place as the main event of the UFC's pay-per-view on Super Bowl weekend in Las Vegas, White said.

Diaz, who vacated his Strikeforce welterweight title to come to the UFC, was originally scheduled to fight St-Pierre but was removed from the bout when he failed to show for a pair of press conferences earlier this fall. In his place, White gave Condit the title shot and put Diaz against BJ Penn, a fight he dominated on Saturday in Las Vegas. But St-Pierre was injured earlier this month.

The potentially complicated waiting game, however, was made a lot simpler when White said St-Pierre "flipped out" over Diaz's post-fight comments in the cage. White made a call to Condit, Condit agreed to put his title shot on hold, and the St-Pierre vs. Diaz welterweight title fight became a reality and got a date much quicker than anyone could have expected before Saturday night.

After beating Penn – and potentially sending him into retirement – Diaz told Joe Rogan he believed St-Pierre was not truly injured. "I don't think Georges is hurt. I think he's scared," Diaz said. The cameras inside Mandalay Bay Events Center cut to St-Pierre, who was sitting cageside after helping corner his TriStar Gym teammate Francis Carmont.

White said he saw a side of his welterweight champion backstage after the event that he hadn't seen before.

"Let me put it to you this way," White said. "I've known Georges St-Pierre since 2004 and he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. He's exactly the same no matter what the situation is, no matter who he's fighting. Since 2004, I've never seen him like he was tonight. Georges St-Pierre flipped out tonight after Nick Diaz was in the ring. Nick needs motivation, he's got it – he's going to fight Georges St-Pierre. Carlos Condit has agreed to step aside and fight the next guy."

"This is what I wanted since the beginning," St-Pierre said in a statement. "Let's do what was supposed to be done originally. I've always wanted this fight – now I want it even more. I can't wait for Super Bowl weekend."

White added at the press conference that St-Pierre was adamant about how he wants his title defense against Diaz to go down. St-Pierre has defended his welterweight title six times since reclaiming it from Matt Serra at UFC 83 in April 2008.

"(St-Pierre) said, and I quote, '(Nick Diaz is) the most disrespectful human being I've ever met, and I'm going to put the worst beating you've ever seen on him in the UFC,'" White said.

Diaz stole the press conference on a night that saw the likely retirements of legendary fighters Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and Penn, oftentimes nearly rambling about everything from the houses in his Stockton, Calif., neighborhood to why no one wants to help him prepare for fights. He said being the villain is what works to get him fights.

"You've got to come off like that just to get a fight," Diaz said. "Know what I'm saying? I've got to be the bad guy. You point the finger, make me the bad guy, and now I get to fight."

As for Condit, he goes from a title shot against St-Pierre to a top contender's fight, expected for the same card on Feb. 4 in Las Vegas. White did not reveal who that opponent will be, but possible candidates would likely include Jon Fitch and Jake Ellenberger, who upset Diaz's training partner Jake Shields last month.

vCash

Waarom vecht Crocop nog? Die komt alleen zn cheque halen en hoopt niet ge-ko'd te worden.

vCash

Crocop mistte alles gister (niet qua slaan/trappen), qua inzet, qua zelfvertrouwen, alles klopte niet. Als je je jeugdhelden zo ziet vechten tegenvechters die eerst niet in de buurt zouden komen, dan doet dat best veel pijn. Ga maar even lekker crocop filmpjes op youtube zoeken

vCash

bij CC in de UFC denk ik altijd: gelukkig heb ik die Pride dvd's nog
    doet idd pijn iedere keer CC te zien verliezen...

en BJ....tja typisch voorbeeld dat je alleen met heel veel talent ook te kort komt op een gegeven moment
    Met de trainingsethiek en motivatie van een GSP bijvoorbeeld had ie de afgelopen jaren aan de top kunnen blijven denk ik...
    toen pissen plassen werd is het gezeik begonnen!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Briant View Post
    Waarom vecht Crocop nog? Die komt alleen zn cheque halen en hoopt niet ge-ko'd te worden.
    je geeft al zelf antwoord op die vraag....benieuwd wat Dana gaat doen met Silva vs Sonnen...ik neem aan dat die op Super Bowl weekend niet zowel gsp vs diaz en Silva vs sonnen doet... lijkt me teveel van het goeie, plus een aantal weekjes ervoor in Januari is er nog zo'n groot event in brazilie...UFC 142 Rio, maar gaat die dat Sonnen echt aandoen? en laat die Ellenberger nog tegen tenminste 1 top10 vechter knokken voor dat hij in title eliminator positie komt. Gewoon Condit vs Fitch, fitch staat gewoon fucking 13-1 in de UFC(verloor alleen 1x van GSP). maar die WW division is echt stacked!! niet normaal...

Mijn top10 (waar ik trouwens vanaf nummer 3 t/m 10 iedereen van elkaar zie winnen...)

1.Nick Diaz
    2.Georges St. Pierre
    3.Jon Fitch
    4.Carlos Condit
    5.BJ Penn
    6.Jake Ellenberger
    7.Jake Shields
    8.Josh Koscheck
    9.Ben Askren
    10.Rory MacDonald

vCash

vCash

Thanks voor de uitslagen.

vCash

Mooie maincard, BJ's gezicht zag er niet meer uit...
    Gaaf dat GSP vs Diaz weer op het programma staat!
    Last edited by Fyodor; 30-10-2011 at 14:25.

vCash

Ik vond Diaz vs Penn zo'n gave wedstrijd!
    Assholes finish first, quote: #21
    “In fact, this should be one of the measures of how good a friendship is: Will your buddy let you fuck a midget in his bed? If the answer is yes, then you know that dude is solid.”

vCash

jammer als BJ penn echt stopt. hij kan nog lang met de top mee. en terecht dat Crocop ermee kapt, ben grote fan van die man maar de laatste jaren presteerde hij gewoon niet goed genoeg meer.
    VET dat GSP vs DIAZ weer terug is!
    Ali: I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark

vCash

Vond het echt een schijt UFC.
    Gelukkig heeft de main fight het opblijven goed gemaakt.
    GSP gaat het echt niet redden met een potje lay `n pray tegen Diaz.

Verder nog vrijwilligers die een date willen met die vrouwelijke reff.

vCash

Hioki had het aardig lastig tegen Roop, behalve Okami kunnen de Japanners niet echt mee in de UFC

vCash

Diaz gebruikt z'n lange armen echt goed hoor! Damn nasty, frustrerend voor BJ!

vCash

vCash

vCash