Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    vCash

Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

vCash

Mike Pierce Aims to Break Josh Koscheck 'Mentally and Physically' at UFC 143

With a simple phone call, Mike Pierce may have changed the course of his career. When UFC 143 found itself with a hole near the top of the card, Pierce made a call, asking for a fight with former welterweight division No. 1 contender Josh Koscheck. And to the surprise of many, he got it.

One of those surprised? Koscheck, who has been uncharacteristically silent in the lead-up to the fight, but recently said he's not impressed with Pierce's skills, and that he plans to make an example out of Pierce for calling him out.

That may sound like typical pre-fight bluster, but Pierce -- who was once a fan of Koscheck's -- said he believes it's cockiness typical of the real Koscheck.

"I hear things from people that used to train with him or used to be involved with him one way or another and they're like, 'That's really him,'" Pierce said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "That's not the kind of guy I really like, to be honest. I do like that he is a wrestler. I do respect that. But the attitude and arrogance that come with it, I'm not really keen on that."

Koscheck goes into the fight as a sizable favorite but Pierce has shown the skills to be competitive win anyone. In his most high-profile fights, he took a round from Jon Fitch when Fitch was ranked No. 2 in the world before losing a close decision, and he later lost a split-decision to the surging Johny Hendricks.

Given those experiences, suffice it to say that the prospect of facing Koscheck doesn't scare him. In fact, he says standing up to Koscheck's aggression is one of the most important ways of seizing the momentum of the fight.

"I think you just press the pace on him and wear him down," he said of his keys to victory. "I tend to think he's kind of got that bully style where if he goes in there and starts beating someone up, he gets that momentum going, and it's kind of hard to stop him. But if you come at him from the opening bell and put the pressure on him, and get inside his head and show him that he's not in the fight, he's just going to give up and break down."

Pierce's wrestling credentials make him believe that he can negate Koscheck's advantage. He, too, was a Division I wrestler while at Portland State University, experience that influences his hard-charging style.

That's exactly what he hopes to bring to Koscheck as the 31-year-old looks for the signature victory of his career, a win that would vault him up the rankings list and announce him as a contender.

"I want to just press the action on Josh and watch him break down," he said. "Nothing gives me more pleasure than watching a guy mentally and physically give up and then having the referee pull me off of him. That's what I want."

vCash

makkie voor Diaz.

Ik vind ie vader van hem alleen zo irittant. Nadat een partij afgelopen is komt ie altijd zo dom doen in de octagon. Alsof hij 12 is.

vCash

makkie voor Diaz?
    Misschien moeten jullie eens kijken naar Condit's record. Condit is gewoon echt heel goed, laatste jaren alleen verloren tegen Kampman die ik ook zwaar underrated vind.
    Ik denk dat Condit voor niemand een makkie is.
    Last edited by YoMarK; 01-02-2012 at 12:30.

vCash

condit wint dit, let erop

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by YoMarK View Post
    makkie voor Diaz?
    Misschien moeten jullie eens kijken naar Condit's record. Condit is gewoon echt heel goed, laatste jaren alleen verloren tegen Kampman die ik ook zwaar underrated vind.
    Ik denk dat Condit voor niemand een makkie is.
    helemaal mee eens. Alleen Nick Diaz kan heel goed boksen en dat is een groot voordeel, je ziet tegenwoordig dat bijna alle kampioenen goed kunnen boksen. Qua stijl zou Diaz dit moeten winnen, maar met Condit weet je het nooit.

vCash

vCash

Gameness: The Nick Diaz vs. Carlos Condit Story

UFC 143's main event between Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz isn't special just because it sets up an interim UFC welterweight champion. This is a rare fight that where both competitors marry technical acumen and amazing gameness in a bout of significance.

What is gameness?

Author Sam Sheridan once defined it as pursuit of the fight despite the physical consequences. The term actually has roots in dog fighting. It's used to describe the eagerness of a dog to continue fighting through a grueling and injurious battle. The dog fighting atmospherics make the term somewhat unsavory to borrow for MMA purposes, but we're treading in metaphors, not literalism. As UFC 143's Carlos Condit himself states about his impending bout with Nick Diaz, "it's going to be a dog fight'.

There are a number of ways to parse the merits fight or evaluate its worthiness, but it'd be criminal to not note just how much gameness defines this bout's character. Every fighter has biological limits, but Diaz and Condit are two fighters who are nearly peerless when it comes to competing up to the outer limit of those boundaries.

Numerous examples of their durability abound. Against Rory MacDonald, Condit was able to withstand a torrential downpour of ground and pound only to stop the rising prospect in the third round. Against Paul Daley, Diaz was floored on more than one occasion in a chaotic see-saw battle only to stop the Brit with strikes late in the first. Condit was floored with gargantuan punches early by Jake Ellenberger, but hung on and eventually took a decision. Diaz was getting drilled by hard punches from Takanori Gomi before driving the Japanese sensation back with strikes, ultimately submitting him with a spectacular gogo plata. The list of their gameness accolades is nearly endless.

That is precisely what makes gameness so pleasing: it's never weathered nor reduced. With limited and qualified exception, the damage Condit and Diaz have absorbed in the course of their fights never dampened their willingness or ability to strike back. When the tides turned, they flooded.

Gameness, though, shouldn't be crudely misinterpreted as solely the ability to take a shot. That's part of it, of course. But what it truly underscores is both ferocity and the enthusiastic participation for the scrap. Gameness, in other words, has both defensive and offensive components.

What unites Condit and Diaz - and what has made them fan favorites - is their willingness to engage risk as a means of winning a fight. As long as you're winning, being risk averse isn't generally the worst approach to fighting. However, it isn't particularly crowd pleasing and more importantly, it's an approach that flies in the face of what we understand as athletic bravery. What makes Diaz and Condit fairly unique is they've used this approach of accepting risk to reach some of the sport's loftiest positions. It's one thing for amateurs to brazenly throw caution to the wind to rile up the crowd in some sort of Pyrrhic victory. It's quite another for two of the sport's most successful welterweights to have reached these heights using a similar albeit more measured approach.

It's also historically accurate and demonstrably true wrestling has been used as a crutch for some fighters to coast through fatigue or rough patches during fights. The exhausted and less willed among the professional ranks have relied on it to hang on in precarious moments. Coincidentally or not, neither Diaz nor Condit is particularly proficient as a wrestler. Why is that important? No matter what direction the fight takes neither fighter will likely have the skills (and I suspect no inclination) to rely on wrestling as a means to slow down or stunt the action. This one won't be decided by one fighter more expertly exercising control to avoid risk.

I don't want to suggest gameness is the only reason this fight is special. There's obviously more to the story. But the level of gameness both fighters exhibit is extraordinary because they also possess deep experience and technical acumen. Neither fighter is careless, but neither fighter lets caution lord over them. That's unique. Over time as fighters gain experience and add skills, you'll often see a trade off in ferocity. With Diaz and Condit, however, you just see the ferocity more expertly channeled.

My early hunch is Nick Diaz will be able to outlast Carlos Condit en route to a decision victory. If that happens, he'll eventually face UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. But en route to that end, I'd bet my mortgage he's going to catch a noteworthy beating at the hands of Condit.

I hope I'm not jinxing the bout, but given the records and deserved reputations of both fighters, it's hard to see how either gets out of this one early. Or easily. They're game for the scrap, from bell to bell, no matter the cost of doing business in between. At this level of the game - and in a five-round, interim title bout - that's a reality that deserves a little extra recognition.

vCash

Goede judoka, maar ja hij gaat wel vechten tegen een zwarte band bjj. Het staande werk is meer staan en rammen, afgaande op meerdere filmpjes.

Voor de rest: sportieve jongen......................
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKiIb...eature=related

vCash

scheids moet er eerder tussenspringen! micheal is gewoon een killer.

vCash

Nick Diaz Discusses the Real Him, Says He Respects Carlos Condit's Style

There may be no more polarizing figure in mixed martial arts than UFC welterweight contender Nick Diaz. Some fans adore him. Others can't stand him. And there are some who simply scratch their heads and throw their hands up, completely baffled by the things he says and does.

Journalists have agonized over keyboards trying to explain his personality and motivations, to almost no avail. Diaz is a riddle. But to hear him tell it, it shouldn't be quite so difficult to understand him.

"You see me. What you see is what you get," he said during Wednesday's open workouts in Las Vegas. "You get real martial arts, you get real fighting, you get a real warrior mentality. Some people aren’t mature enough to handle it. This isn't soccer. i have no problem being sportsmanlike about this whole thing. I understand it’s a sporting event. But to me this is a fight. I’m not going to let things change that to help this sport become what it is. I think this sport is what it is. I don't worry about looking good. I do what I've got to do to survive, to keep my teeth in my head, and my head on my shoulders. I apologize to whoever can’t put that together and understand that."
    That remarkably lucid description at least defines Nick Diaz, the fighter, which is perhaps all we can truly hope for.

Diaz (26-7, 1 no contest), who faces Carlos Condit in an interim welterweight title fight at Saturday's UFC 143, was his usual self during the media scrum, sometimes mesmerizing, sometimes mystifying, and often, both.

He spent time talking about his interest in triathlons, his disinterest in pandering to cameras, and of course, the fight.

He voiced no disappointment that he wasn't facing welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, who is currently on the mend after knee surgery, saying that his upcoming bout with Condit "just feels like the next fight," and nothing more.

But he also praised Condit's fighting style. While he has criticized St-Pierre for trying to win on points rather than going for the finish, he offered up no such issues with Condit, an aggressive, well-rounded opponent who has won 12 of his last 13 fights, including 11 finishes.

That type of style is remarkably similar to Diaz's, so it's no surprise he likes what he sees.

"I think the way I fight and the way my opponent fights, we're both two guys that are ranked top level, top 10 and we’re both looking to get ahead on damage more so than worried about going on top or bottom," he said. "We just want to win the fight and it’s pretty much more a realistic fighting style. And that’s what I’m about, is about being realistic."

The winner takes the interim title and could set up a match with the returning St-Pierre later this year. St-Pierre has gone on the record saying he hopes that Diaz wins because he hopes to fight him down the line. The popular champion cited Diaz's "disrespect" towards him as motivation, calling him unprofessional and arrogant.

But Diaz says he's just being who he is, not who anyone else wants him to be.

"People try to say, 'Nick Diaz, he’s crazy or not crazy or fake crazy,'" he said. "I’m like, 'Hey, bro, what you see is what you get.' I’m not out here trying putting on an act like I'm crazy. In my opinion, everyone else is crazy. They’re the ones who put on an act for you, doing what they're told in front of the camera. The camera gives them a line and they say it 10 times over again, and then whoever goes back and they can [edit] it out. They turn these guys into robots. I’m just not going to be that guy. Don't tell me I'm crazy. I'm out here acting natural. I'm the only one here being realistic out here about this sort of thing."

vCash

Carlos Condit Happy to Spoil Everyone's GSP vs. Diaz Party

Watch below as Carlos Condit discusses his upcoming fight against Nick Diaz, his thoughts on the Primetime experience, his thoughts on Georges St-Pierre rooting for Diaz to win, the way he expects the fight to play out and more.

vCash

Fabricio Werdum Explains Why First UFC Run Ended Prematurely

Watch below as Fabricio Werdum talks about his upcoming fight at UFC 143 against Roy Nelson, what it's like being back in the UFC, why his first run in the UFC ended badly, his improved striking, and why his first UFC run ended prematurely

http://assets.mmafighting.vid.io/855...36b30b347d.mp4

vCash

Josh Koscheck Hopes Georges St-Pierre Never Returns

Watch below as Josh Kosheck talks about his UFC 143 fight against Mike Pierce, his initial thoughts when Pierce called him out, his thoughts on Pierce, why he hopes Georges St-Pierre never returns to MMA, and his prediction on Diaz vs. Condit.

vCash

Nick Diaz Not Happy With Way He's Been Edited

Watch below as Nick Diaz talks about his upcoming fight against Carlos Condit at UFC 143, the way he's been portrayed on UFC Primetime, Georges St-Pierre's thoughts on the fight, and why he's upset with the way he's been edited online.

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash