MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Default UFC on FOX Results: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos **Spoiler**

Televised Fight
    Junior dos Santos def. Cain Velasquez via first-round KO

Undercard
    Benson Henderson def. Clay Guida via unanimous decision
    Dustin Poirier def. Pablo Garza via submission (D'Arce choke)
    Ricardo Lamas def. Cub Swanson via submission (arm triangle)
    DaMarques Johnson def. Clay Harvison via first-round TKO
    Darren Uyenoyama def. Norifumi "KID" Yamamoto via unanimous decision
    Robert Peralta def. Mackens Semerzier via third-round TKO
    Alex Caceres def. Cole Escovedo via unanimous decision
    Mike Pierce def. Paul Bradley via split decision
    Aaron Rosa def. Matt Lucas via majority decision
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

UFC on FOX Bonuses: Henderson vs. Guida Earns Fight of Night Honors

Ben Henderson and Clay Guida fought furiously for three full rounds and were awarded Fight of the Night honors at Saturday's UFC on FOX 1 event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

In the scrappy fight, Henderson defeated Guida by unanimous decision to become the next challenger in line for champion Frankie Edgar.

All post-fight award winners on Saturday earned a $65,000 bonus.

New heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos edged out DaMarques Johnson for the Knockout of the Night award. In just 64 seconds, Dos Santos connected on an overhand right to drop Cain Velasquez and finish with a flurry of punches. Johnson was the other (T)KO candidate with a crushing left uppercut on Clay Harvison in 94 seconds. Robert Peralta also technically won via (T)KO but the finish came about controversially when an intentional headbutt floored opponent Mackens Semerzier.

For Submission of the Night, featherweight Ricardo Lamas attached a tight arm-triangle choke to submit Cub Swanson in the third round. The was one other submission finish on the card, a D'arce choke applied by featherweight Dustin Poirier over Pablo Garza.

According to UFC president Dana White, UFC on FOX 1 drew a gate of $1.1 million and 14,019 in attendance.

vCash

Ben Henderson Outworks Clay Guida to Become No. 1 UFC Lightweight Contender

In a fight that was just as exciting and fast-paced as most expected of a matchup with two of the division's best-conditioned athletes, Ben Henderson outworked Clay Guida in the UFC on FOX co-main event to earn a shot at the UFC lightweight championship.

In a measured yet frenetic performance, Henderson outwrestled and outstruck Guida over the course of the three-round bout at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. The cageside judges scored it 30-27, 30-27, 29-28 in his favor.

"Frankie Edgar, we got a date. Let's do it baby," Henderson said moments after the victory.

Overcoming a style he described as "energetic and awkward," Henderson clearly had the fight's biggest moments, knocking Guida down twice early on and leaving few openings for his opponent.

Henderson got off to a brilliant start from the get-go, dropping Guida early with a left hand and then again moments later after a wild exchange. Guida was able to buy time by attempting a takedown, but Henderson controlled most of the round with his standup, though Guida did have a late knockdown of his own.

The second was much more competitive, with Guida managing a pair of takedowns, but he could not hold Henderson down for any period of time to inflict damage. Guida also briefly threatened with a guillotine. But Henderson showed excellent composure throughout, carefully picking his strikes and outmaneuvering Guida for positioning on most occasions. During one scramble late in the round, Henderson took Guida's back and threatened for a rear naked choke as time expired.

Both fighters had their moments in the third, but Henderson controlled Guida at various points, again taking his back and hunting the submission finish. Though Guida survived, it clearly wasn't enough to get past Henderson.

vCash

Despite 'Perfect Night,' Dana White Has Strong Words for Critics of FOX Debut

ANAHEIM -- UFC president Dana White showed up to the post-fight press conference after his organization's network debut on FOX looking more relieved than elated.

"I feel great," he insisted almost defensively, before the question was even finished. "It's behind me. I've been waiting for this."

In fairness, this was the end of an incredibly stressful period in White's life. The Cain Velasquez-Junior dos Santos bout he'd hyped as "the biggest fight in UFC history" had ended in just one minute and four seconds after a hard right hand from dos Santos sent Velasquez on the path toward defeat. As many viewers of the post-fight show on FOX noted, White's commentary about Velasquez's performance didn't make him sound terribly pleased about the effort he'd gotten from his champion on the big night.

But as White told reporters inside the Honda Center on Saturday night, he knew the risks of putting two heavyweights in the cage from the very beginning.

"I said it in the first press conference: this thing could go 30 seconds or this thing could go 25 minutes. We'll see. Either way it'll be a great fight and it was. That's what happens when you put two heavyweights in there who bang. Anything can happen. ...As soon as those fights start, whatever happens happens. There's nothing you can do about that. We can't control the fights."

As for his remarks about Velasquez's game plan, questioning why he didn't try harder to use his wrestling skills and get dos Santos to the mat, White painted himself as just another observer with his own take on the proceedings.

"I wouldn't say that I was critical," said White. "I had an opinion. When we went back to the post[-fight] show, I said, you know, I don't understand why Cain wouldn't have shot, gone in for the shot, try to work, pressure him, and not stay in his range and try to bang with Junior in the early rounds. But what the hell am I? I'm not anybody's coach or trainer. It was just my impression about the fight."

A soft-spoken Velasquez admitted he'd strayed from his own strategy, brief though the fight was, saying his original goal had been to establish his striking game and "if the takedown is there, take it."

"It was my fault," said the former champion. "I didn't pressure him enough. The game plan was to go in there and pressure."

Even though the fight ended with a definitive TKO, White didn't seem particularly thrilled with how quickly it was over, and with good reason. A 64-second fight leaves little opportunity for ratings to build from the pre-fight show, and might make a poor impression on first-time viewers who haven't seen the sport before.

Meanwhile, the undercard bout between lightweights Ben Henderson and Clay Guida was a three-round thriller that streamed on Facebook and FoxSports.com rather than airing on the network broadcast. Had FOX opted to air that fight as well, it might have helped ratings reach a greater peak for the main event, though don't tell that to White, who pointed out that this was a special introduction show -- not a part of the UFC-FOX deal.

"For anybody to bitch about this fight and how they didn't get to see that fight -- shut up," he said. "You should have bought tickets if you wanted to see all the fights and you don't like to watch it on Facebook. Seriously, shut up. I don't even want to hear it."

Regardless of what the ratings turn out to be in the U.S., White claimed that dos Santos' home country tuned in to the fast and furious fight en masse, with an estimated viewing audience of 60 million.

"60 million people," White repeated. "There's 200 million people in the country. That's pretty crazy."

Upon hearing this, a grin spread across dos Santos' face. "I'm famous," said the new UFC heavyweight champion.

And regardless of how longtime MMA fans might criticize the UFC's presentation in its network debut, White termed it "the perfect night" from a production standpoint, and cautioned that broadcasting on FOX isn't as simple as some might think.

"What you guys have to understand is tonight we were talking to people who had never seen the UFC before. We weren't talking to the hardcore fans. We weren't talking to the people who'd been watching for years. We were talking to and trying to educate people who'd never seen it before. Now that we're on a mainstream platform, many of you don't realize all the battles we fight behind the scenes. It's crazy. Every freaking weirdo comes out from everywhere. You know, 'fighting is on TV!' We've been on TV for six years, coalition of 'I have nothing better to do.' We have to ease into this thing."

vCash

Junior dos Santos Knocks Out Cain Velasquez to Win UFC Heavyweight Title

Junior dos Santos completed his quick ascension up the heavyweight ladder, knocking out Cain Velasquez in just 64 seconds to capture the heavyweight championship in the main event of UFC on FOX at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California.

It was a matchup hand-picked by UFC president Dana White because he felt sure that no matter how long it lasted, it would be exciting. It didn't last long, but the result certainly left the crowd buzzing.

After a quick feeling-out process that saw Velasquez battering dos Santos' leg with kicks, the challenger floored the champion with an overhand right behind the ear, dropping him to the canvas. dos Santos then battered the floored Velasquez with left hands from the top. Velasquez then rolled on his side, where dos Santos smashed him with two right hands that forced referee John McCarthy to call a halt to the action, making dos Santos the heavyweight kingpin.

"I have no words to say what I'm feeling," dos Santos said moments after the fight while fighting back tears. "It's amazing, my life. I want to say thank you to my team and family. I have a lot of good people around me. Thank you very much."

dos Santos (14-1) later said that he came into the fight less than 100 percent and that he was "afraid to fight" with Velasquez because of it, but it certainly didn't affect his performance.

For Velasquez (9-1), it was the first loss in a career that has been a series of victories until now. Due to the brevity of the bout, he never had a chance to get started, but he certainly didn't exhibit the ultra-aggressive attack that has been his trademark until now.

"I just want to say sorry to all the fans, family and friends," Velasquez said. "I disappointed you. I will come back and I will get this belt back for sure."

While Velasquez will return home to San Jose, California to lick his wounds and rebound, we already know what awaits dos Santos. The new champion will eventually face the winner of December 30's Alistair Overeem vs. Brock Lesnar bout.

vCash

Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson Title Fight Slated for UFC 144 in Japan

Less than two hours after Ben Henderson became the No. 1 contender, he already has a date set for his championship match against current titleholder Frank Edgar.

The two will meet on February 26, 2012 at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan, at the event likely to be numbered UFC 144.

UFC president Dana White confirmed that the fight has been booked during the UFC on FOX post-fight press conference.

"I think it's a great matchup," Henderson said after finding out his fate. "I'm as confident as any fighter here in the UFC. As far as the matchup with Frankie, I have to do a better job sticking to the game plan ... I think I match up very well. I've got to stick to the game plan, but I'm very excited for that. Frankie and I are going to put on a great show."

Henderson improved to 15-2 with a unanimous decision victory, topping Clay Guida with a mix of striking and ground work. It was his third straight win since coming to the UFC, following wins over Jim Miller and Mark Bocek.

Edgar is coming off a UFC 136 performance that will probably be considered as a Fight of the Year and Comeback Win of the Year nominee. Edgar was nearly knocked out in the first round of his fight with Gray Maynard and rebounded for a fourth-round TKO victory. Edgar is 14-1-1 overall.

White said the fight is expected to be the main event of the show, which will mark the first time the UFC brings its octagon to Japan under Zuffa ownership.

vCash

Joe Rogan Recaps UFC on FOX Debut, Surprised Velasquez Didn't Wrestle More

MMA Fighting caught up with UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan to recap the organization's first event on FOX, the outcome of the main event, his thoughts on the broadcast and much more.

http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-sports/joe-rogan-post-fight-fox-interview/1272542414001

vCash

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Team Doctor Talk JDS' Knee Injury and Win

MMA Fighting caught up with Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera, Junior dos Santos' friend and training partner, as well as Fabio Costa, about dos Santos' knee injury prior to the fight, the big win and what's next. Nogueira also talked about his preparations for his UFC 140 rematch against Frank Mir.

http://video.aol.com/aolvideo/aol-sports/antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-interview/1272596356001

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

UFC Heavyweights Show Resolve in Pushing Through Injuries for FOX Debut

Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez had more in common heading into their UFC heavyweight title fight on Saturday night than either of them could have realized. While each was worried about his own lingering knee injury, neither had any way of knowing that the other was going through almost the exact same thing in the opposite locker room.

Dos Santos took the title with a 64-second TKO victory, but less than two weeks ago he could barely walk following an injury during his jiu-jitsu training, he told reporters.

"I got a very serious injury in my knee, my meniscus," said the new champion. "You know, ten days ago I couldn't walk very well. I stayed two days with [crutches], but I asked my doctor to help me because it's the fight of my life and I can't miss that fight."

That doctor, Fabio Costa, told MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani that dos Santos has a large lesion on his meniscus that will require surgery to fix, and which nearly forced him out of the bout entirely.

"Ten minutes before the fight he told us, 'My knee, I have something in my knee.' [We] said, 'Calm down. You are a tough guy. You are our warrior. You can go.' Now he's the champion."

Velasquez's story remains a bit murkier, and the former champ seemed uninterested in shedding much light on the situation. Coming into the bout there were rumors that he'd suffered a rather serious knee injury in training and had almost been forced to withdraw from the fight as well. His camp denied those reports and Velasquez himself downplayed the extent of the injury in the post-fight press conference, saying he was suffering from "just little nagging injuries here and there, just the usual."

But UFC president Dana White appeared to realize that it more than just bumps and bruises, saying that he'd have to wait for Velasquez to return to full strength before he could think about his immediate future in the UFC.

"Like he said, his knee's bothering him. Let him get his knee better and we'll go from there," White said.

As for dos Santos, he was saved by physical therapy and "shots and medicines and lots of things," he said. The injury disrupted his training, he said, and made him apprehensive about the possibility of going five full rounds, so the quick finish was an ideal outcome in his first shot at a major title, not to mention the first UFC bout ever broadcast on network TV.

"I'm feeling amazing. I can't explain how I'm feeling. It was a really, really important fight for the whole MMA, and especially for me and for Cain Velasquez. But I'm really happy to win this fight. Now I'm the champion and it's amazing."

After the fight, White pointed to both dos Santos and Velasquez's personal stories of struggles against the odds, saying they were the exactly the tales of resilience and perseverance that the UFC wanted to get across to new viewers in the FOX broadcast.

Velasquez was the son of Mexican immigrants who went on to be an All-American wrestler at Arizona State, he pointed out, and dos Santos grew up in extreme poverty in Brazil where he could have easily turned to crime but "what does he say? 'I used to sell ice creams and newspapers and then I washed dishes,'" White said. "...These are the stories we have to tell to mainstream America."

Just by gritting their way through injuries and making it into the Octagon, both Velasquez and dos Santos continued to show just how resilient and determined they are. In that sense, each man wrote his own story of triumph on Saturday night, even if only of those stories had a happy ending.

vCash

Wat een geweldig event was dit! Alleen de eerste twee gevechten (Rosa/Lucas en Pierce/Bradley) waren niet echt spektakel, de rest was zeer de moeite waard. Guida vs Henderson was gewoon reclame voor MMA. Ook erg onder de indruk van Caceres.

Jammer van Cain, had gehoopt dat het anders zou gaan.

vCash

Top event inderdaad. Echt weer eens een ouderwets lekkere UFC. De partij van Guida kan zo de boeken in als één van dé partijen van dit jaar. By far!
    weblog voor producers, artiesten en gear lovers: Zerolatency.nl

vCash

Ik hoorde al geruchten dat JDS en Cain geblesseerd aan de partij begonnen. Eigenlijk onverantwoord. Er stond zoveel druk op deze partij dat ze desnoods op krukken hadden moeten vechten. Mij benieuwen of ze hier nog langer last van houden. Je bent niet zomaar verlost van een meniscus-blessure, als je geopereerd moet worden kan je er zo een half jaar uit liggen.

vCash

Wat een topevent!

Benson vs Guida : wow!!! Bensons is sinds hij in de WEC vecht mijn favoriete vechter, wat een topper!!! Pfffff!!

En ook top voor Dos Santos, alhoewel ik het ook weer klote voor Cain vindt...

Caceres deed het ook erg goed!

vCash

kijk Dana janken dan, wat een mafkees:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPDiePQa_Vk

vCash

hele mooie event...
    Henderson vs Guida was een toppartij zoals verwacht.
    JDS wat een killer haha maar ik had gedacht dat Cain eerder voor de takedown zou gaan tbh maar hij besloot om tegenover JDS te staan wat geen goed idee is haha.
    De rest van de card was ook goed , leuk voor bruce leroy dat ie weer heeft gewonnen en ik denk dat kid yamamoto ge-cut zal worden na 2 verliespartijen en niet alleen verliespartijen maar gewoon teleurstellende partijen. Ik had meer van hem verwacht in de UFC maarja.
    ''Mixfight is geen site maar een manier van leven!'' - Glen

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by deco'o View Post
    kijk Dana janken dan, wat een mafkees:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPDiePQa_Vk
    Dana is spot on.. Ik sta helemaal achter zijn uitspraak.
    weblog voor producers, artiesten en gear lovers: Zerolatency.nl

vCash

Ik was echt onder de indruk van Benson Henderson... Wow! Hij en Guida maakten er echt een mooie show van en Henderson had overal een antwoord op. Die man gaat echt de titel van Edgar afpakken!

vCash

Mooi event, maar vond het een teleurstelling dat Cain verloor en ook nog zo snel...
    "When I am fighting I am keeping my mind empty for any expectations. I am waiting for something unique, completely new.” - Rickson Gracie

vCash

Updated Ratings: UFC Pulls in 5.7 Million Viewers to FOX Debut

Saturday night's UFC on FOX debut drew in an average of 5.7 million viewers during the one-hour show in adjusted ratings released Sunday afternoon by Nielsen Media Research through FOX.

Preliminary overnights initially suggested an average of 4.6 million viewers for the event, which saw Junior dos Santos knock out Cain Velasquez in the first round, but those estimates were expected to change as more information became available. The final number suggests an audience that was around 20 percent larger than originally thought.

According to FOX, it was the most watched professional fight since boxing heavyweights Lennox Lewis and Vladimir Klitschko drew 7 million viewers to their HBO fight in 2003. The network also says it projects the hour to win its key demographics, including the coveted 18-to-34-year old age group.

While the event was the first time ever for the UFC on broadcast television, it wasn't the first time for MMA on a network platform. In 2008, an EliteXC event was the first to pull off the feat, airing an event featuring Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson that drew an average of 4.3 million viewers. That event, which lasted more than two hours, peaked with over 6.5 million viewers to watch Slice knock out Thompson. The match went into the third round, likely helping the broadcast draw viewers as it went along. That's a stark contrast to dos Santos-Velasquez, which lasted just 64 seconds.

The one-hour special was extremely strong among the male 18-34 demographic, as it out-rated every college football game this year with the exception of November 5's LSU vs. Alabama game, a matchup that featured No. 1 vs. No. 2 in the national rankings.

Among local markets, Las Vegas led the nation in ratings. Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio, Texas and Tulsa, Oklahoma rounded out the top five.

vCash

Benson vs Guida was geniaal. Ben ook zeer benieuwd nu naar Benson vs Frankie. Denk persoonlijk dat Frankie toch wat sneller is in de stand up maar Benson is toch wel een stuk groter.

Cain wat was je aan het doen. Blijven bewegen en gelijk voor die takedown gaan. Nu wordt het lastig. Brock vs Overeem. Die wint Overeem hopelijk en dan moet Overeem tegen JDS dat gaat een lastige voor hem worden.
    "If the ref hadn’t stopped him, Fedor was going to take that head home to his spaceship and polish it."

Fedor Emelianenko - "I don't talk about my weaknesses. I work on them."