MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash

Martin Kampmann: 'It's Harder to Forgive Yourself Than the Judges'

All losses are not created equal, even when they look that way on paper. Just ask Martin Kampmann, whose record shows back-to-back decision defeats in the UFC -- first to Jake Shields and then to Diego Sanchez -- but who remembers those losses much differently when he looks back on them now.

Maybe that part isn’t so surprising. Both decisions were painfully close -- the loss to Shields was a split decision, while the judges sided unanimously in favor of Sanchez -- and those have a way of leaving a bad taste in a fighter’s mouth. But it’s never just that, Kampmann told MMA Fighting this week from Sydney, Australia, where he faces Thiago Alves at the UFC on FX 2 event on Friday night. "It took a longer time for me to get over the Shields fight, honestly. It’s harder to forgive yourself than the judges," Kampmann said. "The Diego fight, I think I won that. Everybody who saw it thought I won. I got a lot of support from people after that. But the Shields fight, I was mad at myself."

Mad, Kampmann said, because in his view he "fought a terrible fight," and at the worst possible time. When they met at UFC 121 in October of 2010, Shields was making his UFC debut after a 14-fight winning streak that saw him capture the Strikeforce middleweight title before defecting to the UFC. A victory over him then might have been the biggest of Kampmann’s career, and possibly vaulted him into a title shot against UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre.

Instead, Shields got the nod from two of the three judges that night, and went on the face GSP for the belt the following spring. Kampmann, meanwhile, had plenty of time to beat himself up over what might have been.

"I didn’t fight smart at all," he said. "I was more disappointed with myself than anything, even though you could make an argument for me winning the fight because he was just humping my leg."

When he tried to rebound against Sanchez in March of 2011, the Danish welterweight thought he had it in the bag after three bloody rounds that left his opponent looking like something out of a slasher movie. This time all three judges sided against him, but it was nowhere near as bitter for him as the previous loss.

"When I fought Diego, I felt like I had a good performance. I beat him up for three rounds, landed more punches -- twice the punches he landed -- and I did way more damage. You look at his face and he’s got the scars to prove it. I felt I really got robbed in that fight. But I can’t sit around and sob about it, because I can’t change it. The only thing I could do is beat him up again, but this time hopefully finish it so I don’t get screwed by the judges."

It’s hard not to think about where Kampmann’s career might have gone if either of those decisions had gone his way. It’s also hard not to trot out one of the oldest of MMA cliches and chide him for ‘leaving it in the hands of the judges,’ as if he hadn’t ever thought about trying to finish the fight.

"In three rounds, against tough guys, it’s hard to put somebody away sometimes," he pointed out.

But the reality is that, whatever Kampmann or anyone else thinks about the way the judges scored those fights, the results aren’t going to change. All he can do is apply the lessons he learned in future fights, which is what he hopes to do against the Brazilian powerhouse Alves, he said.

"It does give me motivation to finish my fights, because sometimes the judges don’t always see it the way everyone else does," said Kampmann.

And while Alves, who’s known for making a major cut down to 170 pounds, may think of himself as the stronger fighter, Kampmann’s not afraid to match muscles with him, he insisted.

"I expect him to be strong, but I’ve been fighting at 185 for a lot of my career, so I’m used to handling bigger guys than me. I don’t think it’s an issue. I’m happy to clinch up with him and go power against power."

The missed opportunities and the painful lessons are one thing when you’re a young fighter still finding your footing in the game. But closing in on his 30th birthday, Kampmann is quickly approaching the point where he can’t afford to learn too many more things the hard way. You never know how many chances you’re going to get in this sport. If you let one too many slip by, you could end up with nothing but too much time to sit and think about what might have been.
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

UFC on FX 2 Weigh-In Results

Friday night's show in Sydney, Australia marks a quiet milestone for the UFC, its 200th live event dating back to its 1993 beginning. In a way, it's perfectly fitting that it takes place halfway around the world from its Las Vegas roots, as the global expansion continues, bookmarked on either side by shows emanating from Japan and Sweden.

UFC on FX 2 is the promotion's third time Down Under, and the event is official after all 22 fighters stepped on the scale during weigh-ins at the Allphones Arena.

Welterweights Thiago Alves and Martin Kampmann both checked in at 170.5 pounds for their main event tangle. Alves, who has had weight issues in his past, had no such problems this time around, saying on the FUEL broadcast that it was the easiest cut of his career, and that he could focus solely on destroying his opponent.

"I think it's going to be a great war, a great fight for the fans," he said. "I know I can finish him and prove I'm the best standup fighter in this weight class."

Alves has won two of his last three while Kampmann recently snapped a hard-luck two-fight losing streak by beating Rick Story.

Although Alves and Kampmann are getting the marquee treatment, many are placing greater importance on the smallest men on the card, as the UFC finally institutes the long-awaited flyweight division.

In a strange coincidence, all four entrants in the tournament to crown the division's inaugural champ weighed in at exactly the same weight: 125.5.

Joseph Benavidez is considered the favorite to win it all. He'll take on Yasuhiro Urushitani in his first round bout, while Demetrious Johnson faces Ian McCall in the other semifinal. The winners will clash at a later date for the belt.

In the night's other main card bout, Constantinos Philippou will take a one-pound advantage into his middlweight fight with the surging Court McGee.

Full results are as follows:

Main Card
    Thiago Alves (170.5) vs. Martin Kampmann (170.5)
    Joseph Benavidez (125.5) vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani (125.5)
    Demetrious Johnson (125.5) vs. Ian McCal (125.5)
    Constantinos Philippou (185.5) vs. Court McGee (184.5)

Preliminary Card
    Aaron Rosa (205.5) vs. James Te Huna (206)
    Nick Penner (203.5) vs. Anthony Perosh (205)
    Cole Miller (146) vs. Steven Siler (146)
    Kyle Noke (185) vs. Andrew Craig (185)
    Jake Hecht (171) vs. T.J. Waldburger (170)
    Mackens Semerzier (146) vs. Daniel Pineda (146)
    Shawn Jordan (245.5) vs. Oli Thompson (235)

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

Heb er zin in. War Kampmann!
    Aoki - Hellboy - Gomi - Diaz Bros - GSP - Sonnen - Barnett

vCash

leuke card WAR ALVES!!

vCash

Mooie card
    Hopen op een flinke standup war tussen alves en kampmann

vCash

Thiago Alves gains nearly 30 pounds in three hours after UFC on FX 2 weigh ins

By the time Thiago Alvessteps into the cage tonight (March 2, 2012) to face off against Martin Kampmann in the main event of UFC on FX 2, which emanates live from the Allphones Arena in Sydney, Australia, he'll likely be doing it as a light heavyweight.Not that it matters, but his contest against "The Hitman" was contracted at 170-pounds.Celebrity dietician Mike Dolce, founder of the famed "Dolce Diet," was "Down Under" this week to help "The Pitbull" make his mark. The Brazilian has been inconsistent in successfully cutting weight throughout the course of his career, but based on a recent tweet by Dolce himself, he doesn't seem to have any trouble putting it back on.27 pounds in just three hours, for those of you keeping score at home.Alves weighed in at 170.5 at Thursday night's weigh in event, and Dolce later tweeted that he was already back up to 197.6. By tonight, who knows what the finally number might be.

vCash

UFC on FX 2 Alves Vs Kampmann Live Stream right here online free

http://smashing-tech.net/ufc-on-fx-2...n-live-stream/

vCash

Ian McCall got robbed!

vCash

Hmm, Ian McCall vs Demetrious Johnson later veranderd in een draw - maar dan nog.
    Toch jammer dat een 'last man standing' format in de praktijk niet haalbaar is.