MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Default Alistair Overeem: I’ll be back to Las Vegas to train but maybe at some other gym

Alistair Overeem flew to London from Holland this week to submit a urine steroid panel test to comply with an out-of-competition drug test first requested by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Nov. 17.

Overeem received a conditional license from the NSAC on Monday for his main event fight against Brock Lesnar at UFC 141, despite complications he experienced with initially submitting the drug test.

The UFC heavyweight had been training in Las Vegas prior to Nov. 17 but left the country on that date to support his mother in Holland, who had been previously diagnosed with cancer.

In an exclusive interview with ESPN.com, Overeem discussed the effect these issues have had on his preparations for the fight and how he’s handled ongoing accusations of steroid use.

Q: How have these matters -- your mother’s condition, the relocation of your camp, the issues with the commission -- affected your ability to properly train for this fight?

A: As far as training is concerned, I feel good. I’ve put in the work. The conditioning is there. I started on time with the preparation. This camp has been hectic, but as a champion, you need to deal with these issues. No complaining.

Q: Were you aware, when you signed the contract for this fight, that Nevada tests athletes out of competition and it was possible you would have to submit a urine test months out from the fight?

A: I didn’t know that could happen. Nobody told me. The rules and regulations were unknown to me. The other thing is, how do you get that done in Holland? How do you get that done if you live in China? How do you do that if you’re somewhere else?

Q: Had you known there was a chance the commission would test you out of competition, would you have remained in Las Vegas instead of returning to Holland?

A: My original plan was to fly back and forth -- see how my mother was doing and then go back. But then, she has another test coming up and Christmas was coming, I just figured I’d finish training like I always do in Holland. It was the right thing to go to Holland and support my mother. [If I could go back] I’d do the exact same thing.

Q: Explain the issues you had submitting your test in Holland. What led to the delays and the wrong test being administered?

A: The rules and regulations in Holland are different. Whenever you have a condition here, you go to your doctor. You have to make an appointment. They slipped me through within 24 to 48 hours because it was important. You then get a referral to another facility, where you have to make another appointment. First time I went there, I didn’t have the specifics of the test. I was only told I needed to do a drug panel test. With those instructions, I went to lab and did a test. It took a few days, and the commission responded, “These are not the correct results. You need to do it again.” So I went back to the doctor and he said, “We don’t know how to do that.” I had to go to another agency, which needs a formal request from the organization you’re fighting for to run the test. A combination of factors caused the delay.

Q: Were you ever, at any point in this process, concerned you would not be able to compete against Brock Lesnar on Dec. 30 in Las Vegas?

A: Not really worried, because I did what needed to be done when it was requested. So no, I was not very worried about that.

Q: What is your answer to those who would say it appears this is a cover-up for steroid use?

A: People have accused me of using steroids since I was 17. I remember my first fight, my girlfriend was in the audience, and she told me people, jealous guys, were whispering I was taking steroids. That was when I was 17. I was a middleweight back then. All I can say is my side of the story. When I was 20, I was already a natural heavyweight. I weighed 222 pounds. Cutting the weight to light heavyweight worked out in the beginning, but I couldn’t do a strength and conditioning program and I was dieting all the time. When I made the decision to move to heavyweight, I went on a food program, [and] strength and conditioning program, and I gradually gained weight. Eleven years ago, I was 222 pounds. Now I’m 265. That’s 40 pounds added in 11 years.

Q: Does it bother you that you’ve faced accusations of steroid use throughout your career?

A: I firmly believe everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. We have free speech. If people want to talk that way, let them talk that way. I can’t control what people say. If they want to insinuate things, that’s fine. I’m too occupied with my own career to bother with it.

Q: Do you have a reaction to the Nevada State Athletic Commission not only requesting more prefight tests of you, but also two random tests during the next six months, even if you aren’t fighting in Nevada?

A: It’s unfortunate I had the delays [responding to the out-of-competition test]. I understand it from their side. I turn a lot of stuff into positive. I’m going to do whatever the commission asks me to do. It’s my job. On a positive note, I’ll be the most-tested fighter ever. That takes away the critics’ argument.

Q: Have any of these issues ruined the experience of fighting in the UFC for the first time?

A: That goes back to my attitude. I’m positive. I can turn things around. I don’t see this as a negative. Of course, it’s been a little distraction, but it’s a requirement. In that sense, I love my job. I’ve been fortunate enough to make my hobby my work. I can only see myself as being extremely lucky in doing so.

Q: Do you still intend to hold future training camps in the United States?

A: I’ll be back to Las Vegas to train -- maybe at some other gym. I’ll be training in the States again, though, of course.

Overeem: All I can say is my side of it - Mixed Martial Arts Blog - ESPN
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten.

vCash

Nou laten we hopen dat hij wint, maar het klinkt allemaal niet als een stabiele voorbereiding...zou zonde zijn als hij daardoor een mindere partij neerzet en het is dan ook nog eens zo dat er andere mensen in je hoek staan. ....naja laten we het beste er van hopen

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Devilprince View Post
    Q: Do you still intend to hold future training camps in the United States?
    A: I’ll be back to Las Vegas to train -- maybe at some other gym. I’ll be training in the States again, though, of course.
    Kunnen we hier uit opmaken dat hij niet meer zal trainen bij Xtreme Couture, dit dus geen groot succes is gebleken? Iig niet zo'n succes dat hij er lyrisch over is...
    Nobody Said It Was Gonna Be Easy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LJ Silver View Post
    Kunnen we hier uit opmaken dat hij niet meer zal trainen bij Xtreme Couture, dit dus geen groot succes is gebleken? Iig niet zo'n succes dat hij er lyrisch over is...
    Volgens mij zou die daar maar voor een maand of 2, 3 trainen. Ik denk dat die had verwacht dat Couture er zelf ook zou zijn in de Gym maar Randy is al een tijd bezig met de opnames van Expendables 2 in Roemenië. In die 2 weken kan die denk ik niet veel uitrichten.

Lesnar is voor mij nu de grote favoriet.

vCash

Nee jullie gaan nu geen excuus verzinnen voor zijn verlies tegen Brock Lesnar op de 30e. Hij zegt zelf dat hij er klaar voor is.

vCash

moet wel heel gek gaan lopen wil ie dat gevecht verliezen..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by thefxr View Post
    Vind het toch opmerkelijk dat hij de optie van een andere gym open laat, volgens mij wilde hij zich langdurig vestigen in LV
    Huis gekocht, veel gym's uitgeprobeerd en toen voor couture gekozen, nergens heb ik gehoord dat het alleen maar was voor het lesnar fight was.
    Quote van 6 weken geleden van Overeem:

"My feeling was that they welcomed me with open arms," said Overeem. "That is the one thing I like about Xtreme Couture, it was just relaxed straight up. I don't like attitudes in the gym and that wasn't there. ... Lets just say for the time being I am with Xtreme Couture and I'm going to be in Vegas. I'm committed to the States and the American market."

Misschien was de paardenvlees niet goed doorbakken bij Xtreme Couture...

vCash

Als hij zelf topfit is, all that counts. Moet ie het in de laatste 2 weken nog gaan doen ofzo?

vCash

Denk dat Overeem miscchien wel Hardonk in zijn hoek vraagt
    MORAALRIDDER 1st klas - "Behandel anderen zoals je door hen behandeld wil worden"

vCash

Ben erg benieuwd allemaal, hoop gewoon dat hij deze pot weet te winnen!
    Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 123trisweat View Post
    Denk dat Overeem miscchien wel Hardonk in zijn hoek vraagt
    Valentijn staat in de hoek....
    "Religie is de vrijwillige celstraf van het verstand!"

vCash

Enige tijd geleden had die nog met Sefo aan de stok en nu traint hij in Sefo´s gym...

vCash

Hoe zeggen ze dat ook alweer op internep...haters gonna hate? pffffff. Jij bent altijd een naar mannetje in je postings, zie in je avatar en in je sig dat je een grotere liefhebber van autotjes bent. Zal ik je een nieuw autotje opsturen? Hoef ik die meuk van je niet te lezen en ben je even zoet met een nieuw speelgoedje. Pm je adres maar even.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by thefxr View Post
    pm gestuurd
    Jep ontvangen en terug.

vCash

Ga je hem nu echt een autotje sturen? Zou tof zijn.
    =

vCash

ik denk dat het voor hem goed is om bij blackhouse bij de blackzillians te gaan trainen denk dat ze hem daar veel over worstelen kunnen leren

vCash

Overeem moet gewoon met Carwin gaan trainen.. Er is geen enkele andere HW die in de buurt van Lesnar komt qua kracht en worstel skills.
    weblog voor producers, artiesten en gear lovers: Zerolatency.nl

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Overeem moet gewoon met Carwin gaan trainen.. Er is geen enkele andere HW die in de buurt van Lesnar komt qua kracht en worstel skills.
    Lijkt me ook wel een goeie ja, hoe dan ook ben heeeeeel erg benieuwd, WARRR AO!!!
    “The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy”
    -Charles de Montesquieu

vCash

Overeem moet gewoon naar nieuwe gym van Bas Rutten gaan. Die begrijpt het stand up game. Is goed met submissions. Wostellen kunnen ze vast ook iemand voor binnen halen.
    "If the ref hadn’t stopped him, Fedor was going to take that head home to his spaceship and polish it."

Fedor Emelianenko - "I don't talk about my weaknesses. I work on them."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by superfreak View Post
    Overeem moet gewoon naar nieuwe gym van Bas Rutten gaan. Die begrijpt het stand up game. Is goed met submissions. Wostellen kunnen ze vast ook iemand voor binnen halen.
    Ik heb het gevoel dat hij daar niet welkom is ;-)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rene37 View Post
    Hoe zeggen ze dat ook alweer op internep...haters gonna hate? pffffff. Jij bent altijd een naar mannetje in je postings, zie in je avatar en in je sig dat je een grotere liefhebber van autotjes bent. Zal ik je een nieuw autotje opsturen? Hoef ik die meuk van je niet te lezen en ben je even zoet met een nieuw speelgoedje. Pm je adres maar even.
    lopen zeiken op een ander en zelf helemaal offtopic gaan.

Ik hoop dat Alistairalles een rijtje heeft als ie de octagon ingaat met Lesnar.
    Het komt nu wel erg dichtbij.
    Volgende week is het zover.
    Warrrrrr Alistair.

vCash

Niet meer in ieder geval...

vCash

Ik hoop dat ie conditioneel gewoon z'n werk heeft gedaan. Lesnar zal vast wel een paar takedowns kunnen maken, maar als Overeem conditioneel in orde is dan komt er daar wel weer onderuit. Later in ronde 2 vervolgens afmaken.

vCash

Maakt mij niet uit waar hij getraind heeft, hoop dat hij gewoon wint. Dat is wat telt en kan van groot belang zijn voor de verdere ontwikkeling van MMA in Nederland. Laten we met zijn allen als liefhebber even dat nationalistisch gevoel toe en als een blok achter 1 van onze top 'prizefighter' staan en gewoon gunnen!!!!

Warrr AO!!!! Warrr AO!!!! Warrr AO!!!!

vCash

vandaag heb ik hem nog ff zien trainen op de sportschool er waren een stuk of wat amerikanen over gekomen om met hem te trainen en die waren er ook vandaag weer,nou heb medelijden met die gasten want die hadden niks in te brengen,ook Ted duffy was er alleen die trainde vandaag niet mee volgens mijn heeft Alistair hem van de week al mishandeld aan ze ogen te zien en hij liep ook niet al te best.