MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash

Mo Lawal Won't Appeal Positive Test for Steroids, but Will File an 'Answer'

Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ "King" Mo Lawal likely won't appeal a positive steroid test following his win over Lorenz Larkin at a Strikeforce event in Las Vegas earlier this month, the fighter and his manager, Mike Kogan, told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. Neither will they admit that Lawal knowingly or willfully ingested the steroid Drostanolone, however.

Instead of pleading innocent or guilty to the charges, it appears the Lawal camp will plead ignorance, blaming an over-the-counter supplement.

"Since we're not contesting the findings of the commission test, we're not challenging the chain of custody, we're not pointing fingers at anybody and we're not calling for conspiracy theories, I don't believe we'll actually file an appeal per se," Kogan told Helwani. "What we will file is an answer, and an answer would involve affirming their test results and providing our findings and our explanation."

The guilty party, according to Kogan and Lawal, is a supplement called S-Mass Lean Gainer by Rock Solid, which Lawal said he bought at a Max Muscle store in California and used only sporadically for "rehab stuff," the fighter explained. It was recommended to him by a Max Muscle employee some time in April of 2010, he said, though it's since been removed from the market, according to Kogan, who admitted he had no knowledge that Lawal was taking any supplements at all prior to his positive drug screening.

"To the best of my research, this product was taken off the shelves some time in mid-2011, for exactly the same reason that we're facing right now. Its primary and only relevant ingredient of that particular product is a substance known as Methyldrostanolone, which is basically just a pill format of Drostanolone," Kogan said.

Lawal insisted he'd "never even heard of [Drostanolone]," and was first alerted that he'd tested positive for it when reporters began calling him with the news handed down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Lawal insisted he'd never knowingly taken any illegal performance-enhancing substances at any point in his athletic career, and touted his long history of clean tests in collegiate and international wrestling competitions.

"For me, the best way to get an advantage over your opponent is through hard work, preparation, and your skills," Lawal said. "That's the best way to get an advantage over anybody. Game-planning. That's the best way to beat your opponent."

At the same time, Lawal admitted that he didn't research the supplement before taking it, even though he was well aware of instances where over-the-counter workout aids had resulted in positive drug tests for other athletes.

"When I went to Max Muscle, I figured you can't buy steroids at a Max Muscle. It's a chain store," he said. "That's like going to a grocery store and buying something illegal there. ...I guess that's the mistake I made. When I looked at the bottle, it just had a bunch of numbers on it. It had the ingredients. I didn't see anything that looked illegal on the bottle, to be honest with you."

And yet, as athletic commissions love to remind fighters -- and as Kogan and Lawal both admitted -- the athlete bears the ultimate responsibility for what goes into his system. As Helwani pointed out, even a quick Google search on the product reveals web sites that describe it as "the most powerful designer anabolic ever created," and suggests that consumers "conduct all the necessary research that comes with using a designer anabolic of this nature."

Still, Kogan appeared eager to turn the conversation into a referendum on "the supplement industry," which he said "knowingly, intentionally, and maliciously misguides, hides, mislabels, and resynthesizes and does all kinds of tricks to try to keep selling you the product that they themselves know is illegal."

"If Mo would have purchased this product in some back alley from some guy who happens to lift weights, the setting itself would probably warrant a lot more alarm than walking into a nutrition store -- and not walking in there and saying, 'Hey do you guys sell any anabolic steroids?' -- but just walking in there and saying that he's looking for a supplement to help reinforce his muscle during light lifting and being recommended a substance," Kogan said. "Also, in 2010 this product was not taken off the shelves. This product was not illegal. This product was not being marketed as an anabolic steroid."

That argument will be part of Lawal's "answer" when he appears in front of the NSAC, Kogan said, where he'll likely make more of an attempt to explain his positive test rather than refute it.

"Our primary focus with the commission and the Attorney General's office is intent," Kogan said. "We had no intent of taking any illegal substance and we believe we have enough evidence and enough character references to make that point very clear."

As for whether that explanation will satisfy fans, Lawal declined to speculate, but he did say that he would only take Nature Made supplements from now on.

"People are going to accuse me of whatever they're going to accuse me of," he said. "I can't focus on that. All I know is that I know the truth. The truth is out there, I've got nothing to hide, and we'll see what happens come time for the hearing. I'm not going to worry about the negatives. I'm just going to focus on the positives. That's all I can do, man."

Somewhat ironically, Kogan suggested that fans resist forming an opinion on the matter until they'd done all the research -- exactly what Kogan and Lawal admit they did not do on the supplement that caused this situation in the first place.

"Listen, everybody has a story and every athlete has an explanation," Kogan said. "All we ask for is that people do their own research before they jump to conclusions and then arrive to a conclusion after that. Don't just read the headlines and be influenced by headline-chasing reporters based on that. You know, everybody cries wolf, but there are circumstances where the wolf is really there. I strongly believe that this is that circumstance."

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19960621
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

vCash

Dana White Doesn't Buy the 'Tainted Supplement' Excuse

After King Mo Lawal tested positive for a banned steroid this month, he said he believed the substance got into his system because it was in a supplement that he legally purchased over the counter.

UFC President Dana White says that excuse isn't good enough.

White said Thursday that he thinks all professional athletes need to know for sure what they're putting in their systems, and that any fighter who tests positive for a banned substance needs to deal with the consequences, regardless of the reason.

"If you get caught doing something, admit you did it," White said. "The whole 'Somebody put something in my system that I didn't know about?' I mean, who here lets someone put s--t inside them that you don't know what it is? If you go to the doctor and he gives you a pill, 'Doc, what am I taking this for?'"

White said he wishes fighters who test positive for performance-enhancing drugs would simply admit that they were trying to gain an unfair advantage, rather than plead ignorance about the contents of the supplements they were taking.

"I don't buy that s--t," White said. "Own up to what you did. Listen, it's out there, it happens, and sometimes everybody makes mistakes."

White said he hopes the UFC's new policy of testing all new fighters at the time they sign their first UFC contracts will deter young mixed martial artists from taking performance-enhancing drugs.

"The up-and-coming guys, you're already talented, you're already fast, you're already strong, do not ruin your career by taking this junk that will affect you for the rest of your life," White said.

And as for the established fighters who test positive and say they didn't know the ingredients of the supplements they were taking? White doesn't want to hear it.

"I don't buy it," White said. "Anybody that's ever said that they didn't know what's being put in their body is full of s--t."

vCash

Ik denk dat de grootste verliezer hier Strikeforce is. King Mo was een van de grotere namen die ze nog hadden. Mo zal ongetwijfeld over een jaar terug zijn met een UFC contract. Aangezien ze het daar bij de UFC niet zo nauw mee nemen.

vCash

die Dana -snort- WHITE heeft zelf ook wel es nu en dan aan de bollen gezeten, wed ik
    "If you have to stop and think, it's too late"

vCash

Mo Lawal Reacts to NSAC Fine, Suspension: 'I Feel Like I Just Wasted My Time'

Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion "King" Mo Lawal got his day in court with the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday, but he’ll go home $39,000 poorer as a result of it.

The NSAC voted to suspend Lawal for nine months as a result of a positive steroid test following his Jan. 7 win over Lorenz Larkin. It also voted to take his $15,000 win bonus, and fine him 30 percent of his $80,000 show purse -- a total penalty of $39,000 on the $95,000 he made for the bout. The result of the fight was also changed from a TKO win for Lawal to a ‘no contest.’

According to Lawal, the outcome of the hearing wasn’t necessarily a shock, but it also didn’t necessarily seem fair to him to have commission members accuse him of misrepresenting the extent of his knee injury coming into the bout, he said.

"They come out hard on everybody," Lawal told MMA Fighting moments after the hearing concluded. "Pretty much, when you come to [an NSAC hearing], you’re going to lose. That’s how I see it. I feel like they tried to twist my words a little bit by saying that I was injured coming into the fight. ...All fighters have some types of bumps and bruises, but I felt like I came into that fight pretty good. I mean, you couldn’t tell that I had unstable cartilage, could you?"
    Since testing positive for the steroid Drostanolone, Lawal and manager Mike Kogan have repeatedly claimed that a nutritional supplement -- S-Mass Lean Gainer -- was the real culprit. But the commission seized on Lawal’s failure to disclose his usage of the supplement and the lingering knee injury that he says necessitated it, and ultimately decided not to grant him leniency.

To hear Lawal tell it, what bothered him more than the fine and the suspension was the suggestion that he had lied about his knee injury or attempted to gain an unfair advantage.

"The whole cheating [accusation], their attitude about that, that’s what got me," Lawal said. "I feel like I just wasted my time there, to be honest with you."

The nine-month suspension is retroactive to the date of the fight, meaning that Lawal can re-apply for a license in September of 2012. Lawal estimated he wouldn’t be physically ready to fight before next fall anyway, thanks to issues stemming from a staph infection he contracted following knee surgery in January. The infection is now "pretty much gone," according to Lawal, but after losing 30 pounds in the last couple months he still has a lengthy rehab ahead of him.

As for what he learned from his day with the NSAC? The takeaway lesson there is a simple one, Lawal said.

"My advice to anyone dealing with the [Nevada State Athletic] Commission is, just do it over the phone. Don’t waste your time coming to Vegas, because you will get got. I had a few people tell me that, to just do it over the phone. Maybe I should have listened to them, but I felt like I needed to come tell my side of the story and I did. It made no difference."

vCash

Mo Lawal Cut From Strikeforce, NSAC Hearing and His 'Reaction' to Blame, Says Scott Coker

“King” Mo Lawal’s day just went from bad to truly awful. After being fined and suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission in a hearing on Tuesday afternoon, the former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion has been released from the organization. The news was first reported by MMAJunkie.com, and confirmed by Lawal’s manager, Mike Kogan, to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani.

In a brief statement over email, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker wrote only, "Following the outcome of today's hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission and his subsequent reaction, STRIKEFORCE has released Muhammad Lawal from his contract."When reached for comment on Tuesday evening, Lawal told MMA Fighting that he thought his comments on Twitter aimed at NSAC commissioner Pat Lundvall were the root cause of his release.

In a tweet that has since been deleted, Lawal referred to Lundvall as a “racist b--ch” for asking him if he could speak and read English when he filled out the pre-fight questionnaire. The commission suggested that Lawal hadn’t been forthcoming in his answers about injuries and medications he’d taken before the fight, and the accusation bothered him, as he told MMA Fighting earlier today.

On Tuesday evening Lawal explained his Twitter reaction, saying, “When I showed up to the hearing, I proved that I can speak and I can read. I don’t know when, but she got mad at me, got irritated, and was like, ‘Look, can you speak and read English?’ Now to me, that’s an insult.”

He added, “Growing up through high school and college, I’d get asked, ‘Do you speak English instead of jive? Do you speak English instead of ebonics?’ For a grown woman to talk to me like that, knowing I’m a college graduate, born in America? I grew up in the south, in Tennessee, went to Oklahoma State, traveled the world, and for her to talk to me like that, that’s disrespectful.”

Earlier on Tuesday, the NSAC voted to suspend Lawal for nine months and fine him a total of $39,000 for his positive drug test for the steroid drostanolone following his win over Lorenz Larkin in a Strikeforce event on Jan. 7. The suspension is retroactive to the date of the fight, leaving him eligible to re-apply for licensing in September of 2012.

vCash

En weer 1 knock down by twitter!
    MORAALRIDDER 1st klas - "Behandel anderen zoals je door hen behandeld wil worden"

vCash

Beetje vreemd om hem voor zo'n tweet te ontslaan eigenlijk.
    Lijkt me dan ook niet de uiteindelijke reden...

vCash

vCash

IF FEAR HAS A STRANGLEHOLD ON YOUR LIFE, TURN AROUND, FACE IT...AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF IT!

vCash

Zonde, was toch een goede vechter.