MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
    vCash

Default Does Holland still host freefight events?

Just curious, as I heard recently they were outlawed in Germany, if I'm correct?

I know mixed rules were popular here at one time, but I'm wondering if that law had any affect on the dutch regulation?

Edit: Oh, apologies if this this is a "noob" question
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Zaher Thomas View Post
    Just curious, as I heard recently they were outlawed in Germany, if I'm correct?
    No. They didn't.

vCash

they didnt?!!!

vCash

So....

What's up with Holland?

Are the free-fighters still free to fight?

Just having a look at the agenda, there seems to be a multitude of thai boxing events and gala's, but basically no mma?

vCash

Hardly MMA events . There is some on thaiboxing events and there is rarely an MMA-event. A cagefight event was recently banned by a mayor.
    On the other hand the amount of MMA fighters and gyms to train MMA is increasing rapidly.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by marcelt View Post
    Hardly MMA events . There is some on thaiboxing events and there is rarely an MMA-event. A cagefight event was recently banned by a mayor.
    On the other hand the amount of MMA fighters and gyms to train MMA is increasing rapidly.
    is that just recently, or was that always the case?

I'm not too familiar with the mma scene in Holland, but I do know quite a few very talented fighters have come from here.

Where do these fighters get their initial experience?

Looking at Gegard Mousasi by example, the majority of his initial fights were all based in the Netherlands?

vCash

Freefight hasnt been in Holland after I believe 1997.

MMA on the other hand theres been plenty and there still are lots of it. WFCA has MMA fights, Rings. Heat FC is coming up, also Battle of the South (Loe Hoyer), NOVER... pff plenty I'd say. Just the 100% MMA events have been rare, but there are still a lot of MMA matches being held in Holland.

vCash

Originally Posted by marcelt

Quote Originally Posted by Briant View Post
    Freefight hasnt been in Holland after I believe 1997.

MMA on the other hand theres been plenty and there still are lots of it. WFCA has MMA fights, Rings. Heat FC is coming up, also Battle of the South (Loe Hoyer), NOVER... pff plenty I'd say. Just the 100% MMA events have been rare, but there are still a lot of MMA matches being held in Holland.
    I'm confused...

vCash

He means there aren't many events with only MMA matches.

vCash

Oh cool.

So what's up with that mayor disallowing that event recently?

That was a pure mma event right?

Is this as a result of that recent government proposal to outlaw dutch combat sports, save for M.O.Q. boxing?

Just out of curiosity; if say, the UFC, by example, had plans to hold an event here; would that be possible or prohibited, according to the current state of affairs?

vCash

Yes it was pure MMA. The mayor was influences by others. Ofcourse no one of these people were ever present at a fighting event. I think officially cage fighting is prohibited. They tried cage fighting back in the 80's is guess and the biggest Dutch newspaper put a brutal picture on the font page. And questions were asked tot the government about alllowing this brutality. It was forbidden ever since.

They tried and called it something like octagon fights. It worked one time. I think it was in the same city that banned it this time.
    MMA will usually be fought in a ring in the Netherlands.
    I suppose the UFC would be prohibited.

vCash

The event he means was in Almelo. The mayors advisors where at the first edition of that event a year earlier. And as I understand it they were quit enthusiastic about it. Even invited the promoter to hold the next edition at the newly build topsports center. And then suddenly out of the blue the mayor ordered the event to be shut down. The reason given was the lack of an event permit. And that combat sports events are networking gatherings for criminals (that term was coined by the mayor of Amsterdam when he was busy bolstering his public image as a guy that would get things done at the expence of the fight fans, promoters and fighters) and that she feared such an event would be a danger to public peace. Which is a realy a joke considering what happens every other weekend at football. But the official reason was a lack of a permit. She added that the promotion could apply for a permit next time but that they shouldn't keep their hopes up. Effectivley telling them to fuck off. And then she went on trying to get other cities in the province of Twente to ban such events for good.

vCash

Basicly, MMA in a cage/octagon... not allowed

MMA in a ring, no problem.