MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
    vCash

Default Roy Nelson on PED's in MMA: 'It's a Very Small World'

Think performance-enhancing drugs are a problem in MMA? Not to Roy Nelson. The UFC heavyweight has fought guys who were on steroids. He knows he has. You don’t get to be a heavyweight at this level without having gone up against at least one or two opponents who came in with a little artificial help, he told MMA Fighting.

"If I can compete with them, and they’re using, it just means I’m a better athlete," Nelson said. "That’s all it means to me."

Nelson, who takes on Fabricio Werdum at UFC 143 on Saturday night, said he was sure he’d fought juiced opponents "a couple of times" in his career, whether it showed up on the post-fight drug screening or not.
    "You just know," he said. "You know by straight-out asking them. You can do it that way. Or you can go through their coaches or training partners. It’s a very small world."

And yes, Nelson insists that he has asked opponents to their faces if they were on some kind of performance-enhancing drug, and he claims he’s even gotten some to admit it before or after the fight.

"There’s some verbal combat involved," he explained. "You have to trick them into coming clean, but it does happen."

You might think this is one of the benefits of walking around with Nelson’s distinctive physique. People see a mountain of muscle like Alistair Overeem, and many will never believe he’s all-natural now matter how many drug tests he takes.

But Nelson, who bears a much stronger resemblance to the ‘before’ rather than the ‘after’ picture in a supplement ad, has no such problem. People can look at him and feel reasonably confident that he’s clean. Though this, too, comes with some baggage, according to "Big Country."

"I’ve probably been tested for steroids probably more than any other fighter that’s ever fought," he said. "...It’s like a football program. There’s always going to be some guys where it’s like, yeah, you’re the one we’ve got to test, because then the program looks clean."

The way Nelson sees it, he is that guy for the heavyweight division. What he’s not, however, is the champion -- though that’s something he thinks he could change very soon if he performs well against Werdum.

Though his Brazilian counterpart is coming off a lackluster decision loss to Overeem -- a fight in which both men "fought timid," according to Nelson -- he thinks it’s not at all unreasonable to expect that the winner of this fight will get the next title shot after Overeem and champion Junior dos Santos sort out their business.

That might mean he’ll have to wait a while for his chance, since, as Nelson puts it, "those guys don’t like to fight that much," but he’s willing to be patient. First he has to get past Werdum, but if he does he thinks the UFC will be more than willing to put him into a title fight "because I think I have a bigger fanbase than Overeem by far; I think I’m probably one of the top guys in the UFC that actually has a very huge fanbase."

And the fact that he’s already lost once to dos Santos? The fact that he then went on to lose to Frank Mir in his very next bout? Better now than later, according to Nelson.

"Any time you lose, it looks bad. But at the same time, every loss you take a fighter should make you improve and become a better fighter. The way I look at it is, I’d rather take my losses now before I have the belt, because then I’d have the belt to lose, if that makes sense."

It makes sense to Nelson, anyway, and maybe that's all that matters.
    Last edited by Kemal; 01-02-2012 at 19:21.
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

No way dat die dikke ooit die belt in huis gaat halen. Wat een vage redenatie ook waarom hij denkt recht te hebben op een titleshot als hij van Werdum wint.

vCash

Zal toch nog eerst van Mir moeten winnen... denk dat Mir eerder een titleshot krijgt, als ie zijn volgende pot wint (en terecht ook).

vCash

Wat een arrogante oliebol. Hij gaat al verliezen tegen Werdum dus hij mag verder dromen. Werdum pakt zijn arm of wint via triangle choke.

vCash

zal mij benieuwen, Roy Nelson is tot nu toe nog maar 1 keer voortijdig gestopt door Andrei Arlovski, verder alleen maar op dicision verloren, op de grond is ie ook niet heel slecht ofzo.
    Ik verwacht weer een sloppy Roy nelson die vanaf eind ronde 1 al moe is, en toch het einde van de partij haalt en dan op decison wint of verliest.
    Nelson zal die rechter hoek toch weer een keer raken en dan is het kijken wat Werdum doet.
    Werdum zal echt wel wat beter moeten vechten als de laatste keer, vanaf 2006 heeft hij maar 3 keer gewonnen op submission, tegen Roy zie ik het ook niet zo snel gebeuren, die kan echt wel wat verdedigen op de grond.

vCash

"because I think I have a bigger fanbase than Overeem by far''
    Nigguh please.

vCash

Ik vond Nelson voorheen altijd een rare Hillybilly, maar ben deze vechter in de loop der tijd wel gaan waarderen.
    Hij is echt geen easy job voor Werdum.

Ik hoop dat hij Werdum pakt! Werdum zal hem niet kunnen KO'en en hij zal hem ook niet kunnen submitten, wordt een spannende partij!
    Ben Henderson/Donald Cerrone/Luke Rockhold/Jon Jones

vCash

tis een aparte kerel maar wel een goeie vechter... iig zeer moeilijk om te finishen.. denk wel dat ie werdum kan pakken

vCash

Hij is "apart" en een "vechter" en ook is hij geen koekje en ja... ik zie hem ook nog wel graag vechten.... echter ik zie hem niet als een contender, hij is vaak na ronde 1 al buiten adem en zoals al eerder aangegeven in dit topic hij is "sloppy Roy". Maar Werdum gaat hij pakken, die laat zich niet pielen door Werdum. Die gaat er vol overheen in ronde 1.

vCash

Neslon is een geweldige kerel!
    A GOOD STANCE AND PROPER POSTURE REFLECT A PROPER STATE OF MIND.
    ~MORIHEI UESHBA

vCash

Ben benieuwd of ie inmiddels al een sixpack heeft na de ingezette afslankrace voor vorig gevecht :P

Ik mag Roy wel en hoop dat ie wint van Werdum maar de titel zie ik hem nooit pakken.
    Aoki - Hellboy - Gomi - Diaz Bros - GSP - Sonnen - Barnett

vCash

Ik hoop dat werdum em submit waardoor ie knokkie gaat.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Zal toch nog eerst van Mir moeten winnen... denk dat Mir eerder een titleshot krijgt, als ie zijn volgende pot wint (en terecht ook).
    Mir heeft nog niet zo heel lang geleden van Nelson gewonnen. Om dan nou weer een rematch te doen....

vCash

Werdum liet tegen Overeem (weliswaar een geblesseerde Overeem..) al een beter stand up game zien. Hij wist Overeem een paar keer goed te raken met wat combinaties. Als hij dat nu door kan zetten en niet op een overhand rechts van Big Country loopt dan zou hij een punten overwinning eruit moeten kunnen slepen. Op de grond is Big Country niet slecht maar Werdum heeft een hele aparte game ontwikkeld die goed past in MMA. Was ik Roy dan zou ik het niet gaan opzoeken daar.

Voor wat betreft een Title shot. Dan moet hij er nog wel een paar achter elkaar winnen waardoor Dana niet om hem heen kan. Ik denk dat Dana en Frank hem niet al te snel in die positie willen zetten want zou hij winnen dan heb je de meest out of shape heavyweight ever en dat doet de sport niet per definitie goed.
    "If the ref hadn’t stopped him, Fedor was going to take that head home to his spaceship and polish it."

Fedor Emelianenko - "I don't talk about my weaknesses. I work on them."