MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
    vCash

Default Frank Edgar: I'm Staying at 155, and I Want My Rematch

Halt any talk about Frankie Edgar moving down to the featherweight division. Fresh off his unanimous decision loss to Ben Henderson at UFC 144, the former lightweight champion says that he's staying right where he is, and that he wants an immediate rematch.

Known for his soft-spoken style outside of the cage, Edgar made probably the most impassioned demand of his career in a Wednesday interview on The MMA Hour. After noting that he had given rematches to both Gray Maynard and BJ Penn, he said that he expects the same treatment after a close loss.

"I'm saying it, and I'm saying it loud: I want my rematch," he said. "I'm not going to have these antics or play these games. I'm telling you want I want. This is what I want. I think it's fair. I think the fans want to see it. It was fight of the night. Listen, even if these guys want to see me get beat up, I do get beat up in a lot of my fights, even in the fights I win, so it’s win-win for everybody."

Just days after the conclusion of the bout though, Edgar has yet to hear anything yet from UFC brass regarding a return bout with Henderson. In the immediate aftermath of the event, UFC president Dana White seemed to indicate two things. First, that Henderson would likely defend his belt against Anthony Pettis in a bout that would be a rematch of their 2010 fight of the year. And second, that he would like Edgar to move down to 145 and face champion Jose Aldo.

Edgar took exception with both.

Though he acknowledged that Pettis' headkick knockout win against Joe Lauzon was impressive, he believes other factors weigh in his favor when it comes to a second fight.

"I think the rematch makes sense on several levels," he said. "Not only can UFC be good guys, I think I earned it. Economically, they’ve been investing money in me. I've been at the helm of this weight class for two years now. I think it just makes sense for them and obviously for me. Let’s do it."

But even if the UFC decides to move on from Edgar and offer a title match to Pettis or another lightweight, Edgar says he has no plans to shift downward and cut weight for the first time in his career. He noted that in his fight with the much-bigger Henderson, he had no size issues, and out-wrestled him, taking him down five times according to FightMetric statistics.

Additionally, fighting Aldo doesn't seem like a much better or easier proposition than facing the lightweight division's best. In Edgar's words, Aldo is also bigger than him, cutting more weight to get to 145 than Edgar does to make 155, so he'd still be at a size disadvantage.

Because of that, he'd rather stay where he's at, comfortable in the division that he ruled for nearly two years.

"I’m staying at 155," he said. "This is where I’m at right now. I still feel like I got a run left. I still want that title back."

Edgar didn't dismiss the possibility of eventually moving to the lower weight class, but said he would do it "on my own terms."

When it comes to the actual fight, Edgar feels like he won three of the five rounds, giving himself the first, third and fifth. In addition, he felt like he easily could have been awarded the second, saying he was winning the round for four minutes and 50 seconds before Henderson landed a damaging upkick that seemed to change the fight's momentum.

Four days afterward, he says the swelling around his left eye has subsided quite a bit and that he otherwise feels great physically. The remaining pain comes from knowing he may not get the opportunity he wants. But he's not going to 145, and he's not going away. Your move, UFC.

"That [rematch] is what I want," he said. "I think it’s right. I think i earned it. I’m not trying to put down Ben or any other contender, but I think I earned my spot to deserve this rematch."
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

Kan me zijn reactie goed voorstellen... Maynard en Penn hebben ook een rematch gehad.
    Ik hoop zelf op een andere matchup.

vCash

Rematch slaat IMO nergens op. Hij heeft verloren en ik vond de beslissing nou niet echt controversieel.

vCash

En terecht. Het is toch niet zo alsof Pettis de title shot verdient. Hij heeft een split decision die hij makkelijk had kunnen verliezen en maar 1 sterke overwinning. Daar krijg je geen titleshot op. UFC wil nou nog even Pettis matsen omdat ze de titleshot aan Maynard gaven, terwijl Pettis zijn volgende partij tegen Guida nog maar eens bewees niet te kunnen worstelen. Het eerlijkste zou zijn Pettis aan een serieuze winning streak te laten werken en Edgar de rematch geven.

vCash

Feb 29, 2012 - To rematch or not rematch? When it comes to the UFC's convoluted title triangle of Frankie Edgar, Ben Henderson, and UFC President Dana White, that certainly appears to be the question.

Days after UFC 144's controversial lightweight championship, proverbial lines in the sand have begun to be drawn. For his part, Edgar made his opinion clear when he atypically demanded a rematch on Wednesday's episode of The MMA Hour.
    White, however, isn't as convinced. Having just resolved a two-year traffic jam in the 155-pound division, he would prefer Edgar to drop down to his natural weight class of 145 pounds, and he's willing to sweeten the pot to get him there.

"Absolutely, (Edgar) walks straight into a title shot," White declared during Wednesday's UFC on FX 2 press conference.

"If I'm going to deny him the rematch for the 155-pound title, and I'm going to make him move to 145 and say, ‘Yeah, you're gonna have to fight a couple fights first to get the title.' Does that sound right? No."
    Of course, White's protests are nothing new. The UFC President has long desired Edgar at featherweight, but after a slew of championship performances, he ran short of visual evidence that lent credence to his claims.
    Even in the immediate aftermath of Saturday night, it appeared Edgar had again proven himself correct. Both White and UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta said they scored the fight in favor of the former champion, though apparently that sentiment has now changed.

"Sitting there that night, I thought Frankie Edgar won the fight. And then Lorenzo (Fertitta) flew back to Las Vegas. He texted me yesterday, said ‘I re-watched the fight,'" White revealed.
    "Ben won."

Obviously Edgar vehemently disagrees, and he has steadfastly remained opposed to a fight against 145-pound kingpin Jose Aldo. So with the lightweight division seemingly at an impasse, even White is unsure where to go from here.
    "That weight division is so stacked, and there's so many guys in line." he hesitantly explained. "I have a lot of different feelings about the rematch. First and foremost, I feel like Frankie Edgar absolutely deserves one, seeing as how every fight this guy's fought, he's given everybody else a rematch.
    "Yet, I don't want him to fight at 155-pounds. I want him to go to 145 and fight for that title. Plus if we do give him a rematch, it clogs up (the division). There's other guys that are in line waiting. It's a big mess."
    For now, White's unwillingness to put the division on hold appears to be most telling.
    Although there may also be a surprising ulterior motive at play. One that lies not in Edgar's fighting ability, but with his long-term health and longevity.

"This guy's fighting with 155-pounders, guys that are cutting from 170-plus, and they're always so much bigger than him. The guy has absolute wars and pulls out decisions that are so controversial every time," White concluded.
    "Take the whole fighting thing out of it, this guy belongs at 145-pounds. When you're a professional fighter, you have a small window of opportunity as it is to compete and be a professional athlete. There's only so many wars you have in you. You can't have this long amazing career fighting wars all the time, so I don't know. This whole thing is a nightmare and we'll see what happens."

vCash

Ik heb die partij nu al drie keer gekeken. Laatste keer samen met een vriend van me die ook aangaf dat Benson had gewonnen en hij gaf me achteraf ook gelijk dat Frankie had gewonnen. Frankie was actiever, Hij was de gene die het meest aan het aanvallen was. Had de meeste takedowns. Hij won welliswaar niet alle rondes maar zeker 3 van de 2.

Na dit gezegd te hebben, ben ik ook van mening dat hij niet een directe rematch moet krijgen. Anders blijf je dit houden. Gewoon eerst Pettis zijn kans geven. Frankie tegen de winnaar van Diaz vs Miller en de winnaar daar van krijgt dan een title shot.
    "If the ref hadn’t stopped him, Fedor was going to take that head home to his spaceship and polish it."

Fedor Emelianenko - "I don't talk about my weaknesses. I work on them."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by superfreak View Post
    Ik heb die partij nu al drie keer gekeken. Laatste keer samen met een vriend van me die ook aangaf dat Benson had gewonnen en hij gaf me achteraf ook gelijk dat Frankie had gewonnen. Frankie was actiever, Hij was de gene die het meest aan het aanvallen was. Had de meeste takedowns. Hij won welliswaar niet alle rondes maar zeker 3 van de 2.

Na dit gezegd te hebben, ben ik ook van mening dat hij niet een directe rematch moet krijgen. Anders blijf je dit houden. Gewoon eerst Pettis zijn kans geven. Frankie tegen de winnaar van Diaz vs Miller en de winnaar daar van krijgt dan een title shot.
    X2

vCash

Henderson heeft meer strikes geland, meer schade veroorzaakt en was de agressor. No way dat Edgar had gewonnen.
    Max. 400 x 125

vCash

Meer strikes kan altijd nog een punt van discussie blijven.

Schade?? Gaat nergens over. Dat is schoolvoorbeeld voor ronde 2. Frankie heeft die ronde in de zak. Dan door 1 upkick (die er wel prachtig op zat trouwens) zou Henderson de ronde dan opeens naar zich toe trekken. Lijkt me niet...
    "If the ref hadn’t stopped him, Fedor was going to take that head home to his spaceship and polish it."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by superfreak View Post
    Meer strikes kan altijd nog een punt van discussie blijven.

Schade?? Gaat nergens over. Dat is schoolvoorbeeld voor ronde 2. Frankie heeft die ronde in de zak. Dan door 1 upkick (die er wel prachtig op zat trouwens) zou Henderson de ronde dan opeens naar zich toe trekken. Lijkt me niet...
    Tuurlijk wel. Edgar was helemaal van slag en hij werd gered door de bel. Hoe close je bij een finish bent telt ook mee.

vCash

Doet me een beetje denken aan die chael sonnen opmerking. Hoe sla je 4.50 seconde lang iemand in elkaar en als hij je in de laatste tien seconde je goed weet te raken dan verlies je de ronde...

Ik wilde slim zijn en de regels erop na kijken. Echter heb jij dan ergens mogelijk gelijk. (takes a big man to admit he is wrong haha)

Judging criteriaIf the match reaches its time limit then the outcome of the bout is determined by the three judges. The fight is scored in its entirety and not round-by-round. After the conclusion of the bout, each judge must decide a winner. Matches cannot end in a draw. A decision is made according to the following criteria in this order of priority:
    1. the effort made to finish the fight via KO or submission,
    2. damage given to the opponent,
    3. standing combinations and ground control,
    4. takedowns and takedown defense,
    5. aggressiveness, and
    6. weight (in the case that the weight difference is 10 kg/22 lb or more).

Echter kan je dan ook aangeven dat Frankie dan eerder ook genoeg heeft gedaan om de ronde te winnen... lastig!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Company View Post
    Tuurlijk wel. Edgar was helemaal van slag en hij werd gered door de bel. Hoe close je bij een finish bent telt ook mee.
    x2
    Ben Henderson/Donald Cerrone/Luke Rockhold/Jon Jones

vCash

Ik dacht dat Edgar meer punten had gescoord, maar ondanks dat vond ik dat Henderson verdiend had gewonnen omdat de stoten van Edgar niet significant waren en die van Henderson zeker wel. Achteraf zag ik de fightmetric die Dana White op twitter had gezet waarin stond dat Henderson ook veel meer had geland overall

vCash

ben henderson heeft wel een beetje geluk gehad met die upkick, anders zou Frankie misschien hebben gewonnen. Maar denk dat uiteindelijk Henderson beter was.
    Pettis verdient echt geen titleshot, die gast is overrated. Zijn genoeg gasten in LW die hem eenvoudig pakken. Ik zou Pettis-Barboza wel willen zien.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by deco'o View Post
    ben henderson heeft wel een beetje geluk gehad met die upkick, anders zou Frankie misschien hebben gewonnen. Maar denk dat uiteindelijk Henderson beter was.Pettis verdient echt geen titleshot, die gast is overrated. Zijn genoeg gasten in LW die hem eenvoudig pakken. Ik zou Pettis-Barboza wel willen zien.
    Hij heeft wel van henderson wonnen destijd in wec