MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    vCash

Default UFC 169: Frank Mir vs. Alistair Overeem

The rematch talk can be put to rest for now.

According to a report from ESPN, citing UFC President Dana White, light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) will defend his title against top contender Glover Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) – likely at the promotion's Super Bowl weekend card in New Jersey.

That means Alexander Gustafsson (15-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC), who this past weekend gave the champ the stiffest test of his career, but lost a close unanimous decision, will not get an immediate rematch. Instead, White said, the Swede will get a different opponent early next year in his home country.

And when that wraps up, provided both leave with wins, Jones said he's prepared to fight Gustafsson again.

White told ESPN the Teixeira fight was requested by Jones.

"That's what the champ wants," White said. "We'll probably have that fight on the Super Bowl card in New Jersey."

Jones, in a statement released to the website, said he plans on changing anyone's mind who thought his previous dominance had faded in the Gustafsson fight, which took place at UFC 165 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre.

"I said before the fight my sights were set on breaking the record," Jones stated. "I want to crush the record. I want to beat the record so bad it can never be broken. I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight. I will fight Gustafsson after I fight Glover. I won the fight but I look at it as a blemish on my record because some people think I didn't. I promise you, he will be next."

Jones was a heavy favorite against Gustafsson, but lost the first round on all three judges' scorecards in Canada. He then lost the second on one of the judge's cards, as well – though he took the frame on two others. The third round also was contentious.

But in the fourth, he rallied and appeared close to finishing the Swede. Instead, he had to settle for merely winning both rounds and escaping with a 48-47, 48-47, 49-46 victory. The win broke the UFC's record for consecutive light heavyweight title defenses with six.

The fight was lauded as one of the best title bouts in UFC history due to its highly competitive nature in the face of such a heavy underdog giving a previously utterly dominant favorite such a challenge.

After the fight, thoughts quickly turned to a rematch, and even White said another fight, in some ways, would make sense. But he also wanted to wait to see how things shook themselves out after the dust had settled. Both fighters were unable to attend the post-event news conference, as they were taken to a Toronto hospital. And now that the dust has cleared, it appears Jones wants Teixeira.

Teixeira was named the next No. 1 contender earlier this month after his second-round knockout of Ryan Bader in Brazil. Earlier this week, he told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie that he hoped he didn't lose his spot in line, and that if he had to wait to fight Jones, he would – but he wanted to stay busy.

Now he doesn't have to worry about that. If he does indeed fight Jones on Super Bowl weekend, it will have been nearly nine years since he most recently lost, a unanimous decision to current UFC fighter Ed Herman in Oregon. Since then, the Brazilian, a longtime training partner of former UFC champ Chuck Liddell, has rattled off 20 straight wins.

He's been dominant since signing with the UFC with first-round submission wins over Kyle Kingsbury and James Te Huna, TKOs of Fabio Maldonado and Bader and a dominant win over former champ Quinton Jackson in January that ushered "Rampage" out of the UFC.

While the UFC's Super Bowl weekend card doesn't have a title yet, it will take place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. That same annual card has typically been a pay-per-view in Las Vegas. But with the UFC's FOX television partnership and the NFL's Super Bowl taking place on Feb. 2 at MetLife Stadium in nearby East Rutherford – and airing on FOX – the Newark location has been set since early July for Feb. 1. The show could wind up being UFC 169 or UFC 170 as a pay-per-view.
    Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

Be a Warrior, not a Worrier

vCash

Default Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira super bowl weekend

Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira title fight booked for UFC Super Bowl Weekend in New Jersey

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones has already got his next title defense lined up for Super Bowl Weekend, and much to the chagrin of Swedish fight fans, it won't be against Alexander Gustafsson.
    That honor goes to Glover Teixeira.
    UFC President Dana White confirmed the booking to ESPN.com, and further stated that "Bones" was the driving force behind the Feb. 2014 match up, which is expected to go down in or around Newark, New Jersey, in conjunction with the NFL's year-end show.
    Hear it straight from the champ's mouth:
    "I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight. I will fight Gustafsson after I fight Glover. I won the fight but I look at it as a blemish on my record because some people think I didn't. I promise you, he will be next."
    Gustafsson is expected to headline an upcoming fight card in Sweden, according to the report.
    Mixed martial arts (MMA) fans were clamoring for a second go-round between Jones and Gustafsson, following their epic, five-round title fight in the main event of last weekend's (Sept. 21, 2013) UFC 165 pay-per-view (PPV) in Toronto (see the highlights here).
    "The Mauler" lost a close unanimous decision, but did more damage in their 25-minute dogfight than any other opponent of "Bones" to date (get a look at the carnage here).
    Still, he did come up short, so Jones successfully campaigned to have a new opponent and to his credit, Teixeira has yet to be defeated in five trips to the Octagon, most recently planishing Ryan Bader in the UFC Fight Night 28 main event earlier this month in Brazil.
    The destruction of "Darth" pushed his record to a near-flawless 22-2.
    No official date or destination has been set for "Jones vs. Teixeira," but with Super Bowl 48 taking place on Feb. 2 at the MetLife Stadium, it's safe to say that UFC will be doing work the night before, likely at the Prudential Center or nearby IZOD Center.

vCash

Vind dit eigenlijk wel een goed alternatief ipv gelijk de Gus rematch.
    Als Cormier naar LHW gaat zou het mooi zijn om die tegen Gus te laten vechten op de zelfde card.

vCash

ik zie een opportunity voor Mousasi

Hoop dat Mousasi zijn volgende partij mooi en overtuigend wint en dan Gustafsson en december 2014 voor de UFC belt tegen Jones
    MORAALRIDDER 1st klas - "Behandel anderen zoals je door hen behandeld wil worden"

vCash

als Cormier naar lhw gaat denk ik dat Mousasi moet wachten.

vCash

Mousasi vs Gus, wint hij dan lijkt hij mij nr 1 contender

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 123trisweat View Post
    ik zie een opportunity voor Mousasi

Hoop dat Mousasi zijn volgende partij mooi en overtuigend wint en dan Gustafsson en december 2014 voor de UFC belt tegen Jones
    Zie hem toch liever een klasse lichter

vCash

Opzich logisch. Nu maar hopen dat Gus zijn volgende partij wint, zodat we weer een mooie partij tegemoet kunnen zien.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Budokan View Post
    Zie hem toch liever een klasse lichter
    x2

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Djani View Post
    x2
    X3 zie Mousasi niet winnen van gustafson. 185 pond klasse maakt mousasi een veel hetere kans voor de belt

vCash

Jon Jones-Glover Teixeira, Mir-Overeem top UFC 169 on Super Bowl weekend

It was the hot likelihood, and now it's a done deal: Jon Jones will defend his light heavyweight title on Super Bowl weekend against Glover Teixeira.

The title fight between Jones (19-1 MMA, 13-1 UFC) and Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) will headline what now will be the UFC 169 pay-per-view on Feb. 1 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. In addition, a heavyweight bout between former UFC champ Frank Mir (16-8 MMA, 14-8 UFC) and former Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem (36-13 MMA, 1-2 UFC) has been moved from UFC 167 in November and may wind up serving as the card's co-main event, though that is not yet official.

The news was reported Thursday night by Newsday and later confirmed by UFC officials.

UFC officials told Newsday in a statement that the Mir-Overeem fight was moved to allow Mir more time to recover following his knockout loss to Josh Barnett on Aug. 31. That fight was supposed to be part of the UFC's 20th anniversary show on Nov. 16 in Las Vegas.

UFC President Dana White this past week told ESPN that Jones wanted to fight Teixeira rather than an immediate rematch against Alexander Gustafsson, whom he beat on Sept. 21 in the main event of UFC 165. White said the fight was likely to take place at the UFC's Super Bowl weekend show.

The UFC's annual Super Bowl weekend show typically is in Las Vegas, but this year heads to New Jersey, which hosts the NFL's title game the next day at MetLife Stadium in nearby East Rutherford.

Jones was a heavy favorite against Gustafsson, but lost the first round on all three judges' scorecards in Canada. But in the he rallied in the fourth and fifth rounds to win with a 48-47, 48-47, 49-46 unanimous decision. The win broke the UFC's record for consecutive light heavyweight title defenses with six.

The fight quickly was lauded as one of the best title bouts in UFC history.

Teixeira was named the next No. 1 contender in September after his second-round knockout of Ryan Bader in Brazil. By the time he fights Jones on Super Bowl weekend, it will have been nearly nine years since he most recently lost, a unanimous decision to current UFC fighter Ed Herman in Oregon. Since then, the Brazilian, a longtime training partner of former UFC champ Chuck Liddell, has rattled off 20 straight wins.

The Mir-Overeem fight will be between a pair of Top 15-ranked fighters and former champions. Overeem is ranked No. 8 and Mir No. 12 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA heavyweight rankings.

Mir will be looking to rebound from three consecutive losses, the first losing skid of his career. At UFC 164 in Milwaukee in August, he was stopped by Barnett in the first round of the card's co-main event. Mir popped up quickly, objecting to the stoppage and saying he could have continued. But it was a TKO loss nonetheless.

At UFC 146 in May 2012, he lost a title shot against then-champ Junior dos Santos after he had put together three straight wins over Mirko Filipovic, Roy Nelson and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. But after the loss to JDS, he lost to Daniel Cormier in April. Now his UFC career could be on the line against Overeem.

Overeem needs a win, as well. After a victory in his UFC debut against Brock Lesnar, he earned a title shot. But after testing for elevated testosterone levels, he was pulled from the fight and that shot went to Mir, instead. When he returned against Antonio Silva at UFC 156 in February, he dominated "Bigfoot" through two rounds – then got knocked out in the third. Against Travis Browne in August, he again was dominant early – but Browne survived and moments later knocked Overeem out with a head kick. Before the Silva loss in February, the feared Dutch striker, a renowned kickboxer, had a stretch of more than five years without a setback.

vCash

Default Mir vs. Overeem on at UFC 169 Feb 1, Jones vs. Teixeira isn't

The UFC traditionally holds a massive show Superbowl weekend in Las Vegas.
    The show is in New Jersey this year - FU NY pols this could have been yours - on February 1, 2014, at the Prudential Center in Newark, live on PPV.
    The UFC annouced recently that a planned UFC 167 heavyweight fight between Frank Mir and Alistair Overeem had been moved to UFC 169.
    The Mir vs. Overeem fight was delayed to give Mir more time to recover from the UFC 164 knockout loss to Josh Barnett on August 31.
    "While there was no indication whatsoever that Mir wouldn't be fully, medically cleared in time to compete on November 16th, UFC officials and Nevada Commission representatives believed that a short postponement would allow both athletes more time to train for the bout," said the UFC in a statement.
    Earier today UFC president Dana White said that despite earlier reports, the Superbow weekend card will not include Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira.
    "Jones-Teixeira is not happening on the Super Bowl," said White. "That was never a done deal. It's later in the year."
    White said Jones-Teixeira would still happen, likely in March.
    Ali: I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark

vCash

Default Mir: If cut by UFC, retirement a possibility

Alistair Overeem is on a two fight losing streak. Frank Mir has lost three in a row. The pair will fight at UFC 169 on Superbowl weekend.
    UFC president Dana White is on record as saying this is a loser leaves town match. Frank Mir appeared on Monday’s edition of the MMA Hour, and said he wasn't entirely convinced.
    "As far as the UFC wanted to release us, I’ve heard the same thing that Dana said absolutely, I find it hard to believe that they’re going to let Alistair to be picked up by another organization," said Mir. "I still think he could sell a ton of tickets. Myself? I keep my opinion to myself on me. I guess I would have to see what I’m selling afterwards."
    Mir has no plans to retire, but said if he was released, it would certainly move him in that direction.
    "Obviously I have no real desire to fight for another organization, so if I were to be let go that would be a huge step in the form of retirement," said Mir.
    Ali: I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Naj85 View Post
    The UFC traditionally holds a massive show Superbowl weekend in Las Vegas.
    The show is in New Jersey this year - FU NY pols this could have been yours - on February 1, 2014, at the Prudential Center in Newark, live on PPV.
    The UFC annouced recently that a planned UFC 167 heavyweight fight between Frank Mir and Alistair Overeem had been moved to UFC 169.
    The Mir vs. Overeem fight was delayed to give Mir more time to recover from the UFC 164 knockout loss to Josh Barnett on August 31.
    "While there was no indication whatsoever that Mir wouldn't be fully, medically cleared in time to compete on November 16th, UFC officials and Nevada Commission representatives believed that a short postponement would allow both athletes more time to train for the bout," said the UFC in a statement.
    Earier today UFC president Dana White said that despite earlier reports, the Superbow weekend card will not include Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira.
    "Jones-Teixeira is not happening on the Super Bowl," said White. "That was never a done deal. It's later in the year."
    White said Jones-Teixeira would still happen, likely in March.
    oke dan, zal de titel even aanpassen.

vCash

Helaas voor overeem, is hij niet meer de main event. Return of the dominator!

Cruz returns, two title fights set for UFC 169

vCash

Default Two Title Fights Top UFC 169

Two long-awaited title fights will finally take place on one night, as Newark, NJ hosts UFC 169 on February 1.

Dominant featherweight champion Jose Aldo will defend his title against second-ranked Ricardo Lamas in the main event.

In the night's co-main event, bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz returns from a two-year injury layoff for a title unification bout against interim champion Renan Barao.

That fight card also features a heavyweight matchup between former champion Frank Mir and Alistair Overeem.

More information, including ticket on-sale and additional bouts, will be announced in coming weeks on UFC.com.

The official website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship®
    Copyright © 2013 Zuffa, LLC.
    Part of the USA Today UFC Group.
    Designed & developed by Adept Mobile.

vCash

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas, Dominick Cruz vs. Renan Barao set for UFC 169

February's UFC 169 event has not one, but two headlining title contests as UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo meets top contender Ricardo Lamas and UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz makes his long-awaited return to the octagon for a unification bout with interim title holder Renan Barao.

Newsday first reported the bookings, and UFC officials have since confirmed the plans.

UFC 169 takes place Feb. 1 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The UFC's annual Super Bowl weekend show typically is in Las Vegas, but this year heads to New Jersey, which hosts the NFL's title game the next day at MetLife Stadium in nearby East Rutherford.

UFC President Dana White recently revealed the company was "talking about" the Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) vs. Lamas (13-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), but the booking is now official. Aldo is ranked No. 1 and Lamas No. 3 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA featherweight rankings.

Lamas has won four consecutive bouts since moving from the WEC to the UFC. He had hoped a January victory over Erik Koch would earn him a title shot, but the UFC then booked him for a UFC 162 bout with Chan Sung Jung. However, Jung then replaced injured Anthony Pettis and lost to Aldo, and Lamas was left without an opponent and has been waiting on the sidelines since then.

Aldo, the only 145-pound champion in UFC history, is riding a 16-fight winning streak, which includes a perfect 5-0 mark in the octagon following his win over Jung.

Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who finished an eight-fight WEC run as the final bantamweight champion in that promotion's history, has been on the sidelines the past two years due to a series of knee injuries. He was awarded the UFC bantamweight title in Dec. 2010 and has since defended the belt twice with wins over Demetrious Johnson and Urijah Faber. However, he hasn't fought in more than two years, fighting most recently in 2011.

Meanwhile, Barao (31-1 MMA, 6-0 UFC) boasts an incredible 31-fight winning streak. In July 2012, he picked up the UFC's interim bantamweight title with a win over Urijah Faber. He's since defended the belt twice with wins over Eddie Wineland and Michael McDonald.

vCash

vCash

Iemand die weet hoe het met Alistair en zijn voorbereiding gaat??

vCash

volgens mij zit ie in thailand

vCash

Alistair is op een boot ergens aan het relaxen.
    Taking this baby out for a drive tomorrow :-) Retweeten

"Ronda is the most mentally strong person I know"- Dana White

vCash

Nou, ik ben benieuwd. Hij schijnt wel weer uber te zijn:

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turboknecht View Post
    Iemand die weet hoe het met Alistair en zijn voorbereiding gaat??
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey1978 View Post
    inderdaad vanaf begin december al meen ik. Azad Souffi hoofdtrainer van FPA is daar ook om hem te helpen met de voorbereiding.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey1978 View Post
    Thailand? Daar hebben ze toch geen goede sparringspartners voor hem... Sowieso lijkt het mij dat Alistair even met wat worldclass jiu Jitsu gasten moet trainen. Ik snap niet waarom hij niet gewoon bij de blackzilians traint.
    Alistair Overeem is de goat.

vCash

Wanneer hij nu weer helemaal uber ten tonele verschijnt snap ik dat misschien weer wel. Verder lijkt me Blackzillians ook prima.