MIXFIGHT.COM
NOG GEEN LID?
MELD JE HIER GRATIS AAN!
    vCash

Default Josh Jauncey: 'Glory kickboxing matchmakers staken geld in hun zak'

Advertentie door Mixfight.nl
    Advertentie van Mixfight

vCash

Although those GLORY title aspirations are still fresh in his mind, 2020 also marked the first time in his professional career that Jauncey wasn’t in the ring. When negotiations with the new GLORY ownership didn’t pan out, he found himself a free agent for the first time since 2013.

“We’re not on bad terms or anything. We’re still willing to discuss and negotiate with them,” Jauncey explained. “I’ve been with them for six years, since the beginning of my professional career basically. I signed with GLORY three fights in, and I’m very grateful for the opportunities they have given me. I got to build my name through them, but after six years, there are lots of promises that haven’t been kept on their part, and it’s about time to check out free agency.”

After 17 fights, including a title shot against then-champion Sitthichai, Jauncey has been through a little of everything under the GLORY banner. Yet, looking back, the 27-year-old still questions what the promotion had in mind for him.

“In my GLORY debut, I was a 21-year-old kid from Canada, and they put me against a K-1 veteran. I don’t know who you’re trying to build in that situation. Who are you trying to help?” asked the Canadian. “Luckily, I came out with a win, but that’s not the fight you do to build someone’s brand. It was a very risky fight. I don’t feel like I’ve been promoted very well. I don’t always feel like I’ve been treated fairly in fights. Some of it is out of their hands, but, as far as being promoted, they haven’t done me too many favors when they said they would.”

On top of feeling like an afterthought from a promotional standpoint, Jauncey also doesn’t believe he always got a fair shake from the previous ownership, whose own interests may have been directly in contrast with his priorities.

“The matchmaking favored a lot of the Dutch fighters,” said Jauncey. “If we won, it was a surprise. The people who were in charge of matchmaking, there was a conflict of interest there. Things were made that would benefit the matchmakers if they won. They were making money off of those guys winning. It wasn’t fair. There were situations where we should have won or at least got an extra round, and it got tilted in the other fighter’s favor. There were people who acted very aggressively when we spoke up. Those were the people who I would be taking money out of their hands if I won. A lot of those people are no longer in GLORY anymore, or so I’ve been told. They’re not part of the board as they were before, but, still, the damage has already been done there.”

Despite his past frustrations, Jauncey hasn’t completely closed the door on a GLORY return. However, he might have something else in mind for the next phase of his career.

https://combatpress.com/2020/11/form...including-mma/